Avatars & Top Banner - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Shall we enable caricatures on Avatars and Banners?

Yes to both
29%
No to Both
53%
Yes to Avatar
2%
No to Avatar
6%
Yes to Banner
10%
No to Banner
No votes
0%
Other
No votes
0%
By noemon
I'm experimenting will a lot of cool stuff, check your bbcodes in the full new post view.
By Frollein
I don't wanna! *stomps foot*

(Ok, the fonts and stuff are cool. But I want to keep our cool and sophisticated looking - everything looks more cool and sophisticated in black and white - avatars. Please don't force me to look at shitty, goofy caricatures. Makes me fell like I'm logged in to the Disney channel)
By noemon
As it happens I feel the same way about these avatars, I am just proud of the thingy.
Frollein wrote:I don't wanna! *stomps foot*

(Ok, the fonts and stuff are cool. But I want to keep our cool and sophisticated looking - everything looks more cool and sophisticated in black and white - avatars. Please don't force me to look at shitty, goofy caricatures. Makes me fell like I'm logged in to the Disney channel)

Hello Frollein, it's me, Gary Cooper. Yes, do you see me looking at you? Can you see how handsome I am? I am very handsome.

I'm going to have to ask you to rethink your opinion on looking at the added features and looking at the new caricatures. I feel very confident that you just weren't thinking things through, and fortunately I am here to help you think correctly and to know which opinion is the correct one.

Oh, I am just so dashingly handsome, aren't I?
By JohnRawls
Yes to Both. Don't be stooges. This is not your personal forum and these features don't oblige you to use them. A lot of people might like them so its a plus.
By AFAIK
Is it possible to have different banners in different sections?
A caricature banner in the satire section could be cool.
By JohnRawls
anarchist23 wrote:no to both

What kind of anarchist are you? :eh: You don't practice what you preach :hmm:
Maybe I am the only one with so little brain I find myself responding to the 'avatar' as the person. It takes a conscious effort to separate it from the view of the poster. My mind wants to accept the sex, age, and other characteristics of the avatar. I believe caricatures will result in my demeaning other posters because my mind will say they are stupid. This feeling has been reinforced by the few caricatures that have been adopted. Truthfully, I would vote to ban avatars.
By Frollein
One Degree wrote:Maybe I am the only one with so little brain I find myself responding to the 'avatar' as the person. It takes a conscious effort to separate it from the view of the poster. My mind wants to accept the sex, age, and other characteristics of the avatar.

No, I'm exactly the same way. "Faceless" posters I find harder to respond to.
So being kinda new here, I hesitate to make my opinion known. So will go with whatever.

But I must admit to having been surprised when trying to persoanlize my avatar, it was required to be b&w. I did wonder about the reason, perhaps using too much band width? It never occurred to me it may have been about making people act grown up as suggested above. Is that why avatars must be b&w?
By noemon
That is not the reason, the B&W avatar is a rule that our Dear Founder Leader Siberian Fox established back in the ancient times because he wanted a more noir magazine look for the forum. His forum aesthetics were greatly influenced by the darkly sensation of the film Blade Runner and 1984 the book hence also the moderator Big Brother. These were confessions he made to the Second Apostle who met him irl, me. The first being MB.

But your opinion matters, too.
By Frollein
Bulaba Jones wrote:Image

Hello Frollein, it's me, Gary Cooper. Yes, do you see me looking at you? Can you see how handsome I am? I am very handsome.

I'm going to have to ask you to rethink your opinion on looking at the added features and looking at the new caricatures. I feel very confident that you just weren't thinking things through, and fortunately I am here to help you think correctly and to know which opinion is the correct one.

Oh, I am just so dashingly handsome, aren't I?

Ha. The power of my avatar makes me immune to your masculine charms, Mr. Cooper. Begone!
Igor Antunov wrote:YES. YEEEEES :lol:

Keep in mind though, a more stylised look will attract younger people. This means more misconduct and trolls. Also the custom avatar maker allows for some hilariously inappropriate faces. See mine for reference.

:lol:

Oh man, if there were unlimited facial hair options that would be interesting. We would have men and women with soul patches or scraggly beards, would be quite strange.
By Philby
I think Siberian Fox wanted a board that "showed" well and he did managed to do so. Because of the strict avatar and sig policy.

Now we're moving on and changes have been made and will be made. I think a single "PoFo" look is still important and therefor two types of avatars is not the way to go.
We have to choose and I hope it will be the old black and white one.

I have some spare time the coming months and I am willing to do some work on the banner(s). Please let me know if you want me to do so.

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]

Britain: Deliberately imports laborers from around[…]

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]