Will Trump start another war during his presidency? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Will Trump start another war during his presidency?

No, Trump will not start any conflict
29%
Yes, Trump will start one or more trade wars (which region?)
29%
Yes, Trump will start one or more regional wars (which region?)
39%
Yes, Trump will start WWIII
No votes
0%
Others
3%
Yes, I think we are at the beginning of a trade war.

Yes, Trump will intensify military action abroad, from which one or more conflicts may start:
1) the US already has by far the biggest military in the world
2) he announced a substantial investment in offensive capability, especially the navy
3) he is pressuring allies to invest more in military spending
4) by threatening economic sanctions he will force allies to isolate Iran and China
5) he will intensify bombing campaigns in Syria, Yemen, Libya, and drone strikes elsewhere
6) a minor incident like a US vessel in Iranian waters or off the coast of Yemen being shot at may lead to punitive bombing actions against Iran, with or without Israel
7) a limited war with Iran would serve as warming up exercise for escalating a conflict with China in the South China Sea

MAYBE, I don't believe it is alarmist to consider the possibility that we won't be here in 4 years time.
8) like WWI, WWIII will be the result of ambiguity and miscalculation on the part of the opposing parties
9) Trump will approach Putin to keep Russia neutral in any conflict with Iran and China
10) in the end, Russia will not stay neutral as US encroaches on Iran and China for total global control
11) end of story

From what we know now, all of the above is in the realm of the possible.

The ban of Muslims, the threats to allies, etc., all of this is just a smoke screen. He is trying to soften the allies up to then magnanimously drop all threats and shower the global economy with dollars to build all the things he needs for a war economy.

The only conclusion from the above is that the US is the most dangerous country on Earth and needs to be reigned in. I'm afraid that the allies don't have any backbone and will fall in line with Trump for being left off the hook of punitive trade measures.

For Europe, the best cause of action is to intensify trade relations with China, Iran, Russia and all emerging and developing economies to become independent of the US and resist participating in a global conflict initiated by the US. Every US trade sanction and exit from the Paris agreement should be met with sanctions against US assets and US multinationals. The fight against tax havens ought to be intensified to tax the hidden profits of US multinationals.

On the sunny side, we won't have to worry about climate change anymore.
Well, a war with Iran is highly possible, and a war with Iran will be a multi-region war since Iran has control over groups all over central Asia, middle east, and parts of north Africa.
This war will also mean that Iran will use its missile arsenal, one of the largest in the world, to attack all trade lines and oil supply line and possibly since Iran has 700 thousand soldiers on stand by and can call up to 2 and a half million in case of war, an invasion against Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain would be in place.

And since many pro-government Persian tribes have their centers in Iran and have huge populations in Pakistan, you can expect that they'll overthrow the government in Pakistan and take control of the nuclear warheads. And ladies and gentlement the war turned even bigger from traditional to nuclear war.

Once that happens, which would probably be within the first month or two of the war -as Iran would set the entire region ablaze immidiatly if it was attacked-Then
Almost all world powers just got involved in the war.
Now some people, including members here, think that Russia would be on the side of the Americans when it gets involved.
Ofcourse they'd probably realize its the otherway around since Russia has shared military co-operation with Iran and sends troops, ammunitions and logistics to Syria through Iran with periodic usages of Iranian basis and equipments for its airforce thus Russia is already a military ally for Iran.
And If Russia got involved, with consideration to current trend of relations between China and the US due to Trump idiocity, China would get in the war also.
Perhaps not send troops to the mideast, but it would at the very least take the chance that everyone is busy to fully take over lands in the south China sea which would force the US to respond since it has military basis there.
So all major powers are now in war.

Thats why many analysts believe that a war with Iran would either be the begining of world war 3 or at the very least make WW3 inevitable in coming period.

But yea, on the bright side we don't have to worry about climate change. :lol:
Well the trade war is a given. If anything, it has already started. Why else would Trump critise both China and the EU with currency manipulation? And the swooning of May? Lets be honest, it can't have been her looks could it!

War conflicts, well that's difficult. The US cannot rely on their alliance partners (except the UK who have pretty much said it has no interests in bringing the world into Western ideology) in giving their blessing in any more illegal wars as he (Trump) has pretty much raised his middle finger towards his NATO partners. So they either go into any new wars alone or don't bother with them. So if I was making a prediction, the era of illegal wars are over... EVEN under Trump. HOWEVER, I can still imagine the US sleep walking into conflict, especially with China. They won't take any shit from the US especially any form of embargo. And if that means sinking the US navy, so be it. Iran is also a sour area too. And then there is North Korea. With a hothead with the nuke codes, WW3 isn't out of the question. However it will be short and I can only see it effecting the Pacific region (unless Europe was stupid enough to get involved of course).
anasawad wrote:Now some people, including members here, think that Russia would be on the side of the Americans when it gets involved.

It depends on the scale of the US action. I don't believe Russia is going to risk a direct confrontation with the risk of nuclear holocaust to protect Iran from limited US bombing. Let's face it, the Yanks don't have the stamina to face Iran on the ground. It'll all be missile and air attacks to knock out Iranian nuclear capabilities for the "greater good of mankind." Who would disagree with punishing the evil Ayatollahs a little? The narrative is all important.

And let's not forget the Russian economy is in deep shit. Putin urgently needs Trump to lift the sanctions and get ExxonMobil with the help of Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to make Russian oil flow from the Kara Sea deposits. Don't forget you are dealing with oligarchs. Money does matter.

And don't count on your allies in the region too much. The Anglos know how to play the divide and conquer game.

China would get in the war also.

China will try to avoid war at all cost, because they know they can't win against the US. They can compete economically but not militarily.

In the end, Russia and China will sacrifice Iran to avoid all out confrontation with the US.

B0ycey wrote:The US cannot rely on their alliance partners (except the UK who have pretty much said it has no interests in bringing the world into Western ideology) in giving their blessing in any more illegal wars as he (Trump) has pretty much raised his middle finger towards his NATO partners. So they either go into any new wars alone or don't bother with them. So if I was making a prediction, the era of illegal wars are over... EVEN under Trump.

All wars are illegal. It's just a matter of degree of credibility of the pretext used for starting wars: Saddam's WMD, the assassination of the Arch Duke Ferdinand ... If there is a will to start a war, a pretext can always be found.

I don't think the US will go into war without allies. The UK will probably join action against Iran. It's not such a stretch, sending some fighter planes, drones and missiles to Iran instead of Iraq or Syria. Hell, most people at home don't see a big difference. All Muslims, right?

Whether Nato will join or not depends on our commercial interests. The French and Italians have been very active building their Iranian business interests. The Germans don't want a war anyways, but they are scared shitless about US punitive trade measures.

Finally, there is Ukraine, which has been forgotten recently. Following Trump's phone call with Putin, shelling in the Donetsk region has intensified. Is Putin testing Trump? Will Trump offer Ukraine in exchange for neutrality in Iran? In international relations, there is a price for everything.

Ukraine conflict: Shelling rages on after nightfall

WW3 isn't out of the question. However it will be short and I can only see it effecting the Pacific region (unless Europe was stupid enough to get involved of course).

Unless Europe takes deliberate measure for deescalation, Europe will be drawn into any global conflict. Even if the conflict starts in the South China Sea, Putin would strike in Ukraine and the Baltic first.

There is a buildup of Nato forces and Russian forces in Eastern Europe and many people in the East seem to be itching for a fight.
Atlantis wrote:
I don't think the US will go into war without allies. The UK will probably join action against Iran. It's not such a stretch, sending some fighter planes, drones and missiles to Iran instead of Iraq or Syria. Hell, most people at home don't see a big difference. All Muslims, right?

You confuse the general public with the UK populists on this forum. I can assure you, the mood for another war in the UK is not positive. A war with Iran, who are abiding by the terms agreed, will not get public support, not even from the Tories. I would like to think even May would give up ties with the US if they pushed for such a war. After all, a trade agreement under a major world conflict is worth little if the world at whole is at war. If Trump attacks Iran (which I doubt would get congress support), he does it alone.
Will Trump start another war during his presidency?

Biased and stupid poll. Asking if the US will be involved in a war is like asking if the sun will come out tomorrow and you want to blame Trump for it. :knife:
One Degree wrote:Biased and stupid poll. Asking if the US will be involved in a war is like asking if the sun will come out tomorrow and you want to blame Trump for it. :knife:

Right, let's blame the EU then. The EU doesn't have an army but that'll never prevent an imperialist from blaming the EU anyways. :lol:

What's that huge military capability for? To protect the US? Even if the whole world ganged up together to attack the US, it couldn't be done. The Yankee imperialists need to do a lot better if they want to fabricate a war narrative.

But according to Trump, the US military is far too weak and needs more offensive capabilities. He wants a 35% naval military buildup, quite obviously to attack China.

And what is this gigantic global military presence for? To protect the homeland of an anti-globalist protectionist America? That's so stupid, you couldn't make it up. But Americans will swallow every lie Trump throws at them.
Last edited by Atlantis on 04 Feb 2017 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
Right, let's blame the EU then. The EU doesn't have an army but that'll never prevent an imperialist from blaming the EU anyways. :lol:

Deflection. Please list the US presidents who did not preside over a military action during their terms? You are simply trying to make Trump responsible for something that is expected of the US in international affairs. Do you want the US to withdraw all forces from Europe? Do you want the US to withdraw from any intervention in International disputes?
Look at Obama's drone campaign. The US does not declare war any more, they are in a permanent state of bombing children in one part of the world or another. There is not one single day when they are not fighting. Declarations of war are sort of out of date as far as the US is concerned.
He's just had a massive row with Putin over the New Start Treaty.
I think he'll start randomly firing off nuclear weapons in the middle of a tantrum.
I'm only half joking, too.
Please tell me there's a gang of armed men standing by ready with a chemical cosh if necessary?
The American Lion wrote:A trade war is more likely. Yet I also believe war with Iran is possible. The State and War Department is full of men who want war with Iran.

I doubt many State or Defense Dept pros want war with Iran, which could have very serious repercussions. No doubt, the pro-Israel lobby is full of men who want war with Iran.
Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Then why are people like you so worried about The[…]

Liberals and centrists even feel comfortable justi[…]

You are already in one. He says his race is being[…]

Fake, it's reinvestment in communities attacked on[…]