Is Alcoholism a Disease? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Is Alcoholism a Disease?

Yes
52%
No
26%
Other
22%
New Study Finds Marijuana Safer Than Alcohol Or Tobacco
According to the study, at the individual level, booze presents the highest risk of death, followed by nicotine, cocaine and heroin, suggesting the risks of alcohol consumption have likely been underestimated in the past. Marijuana was found to be significantly less deadly and sat at the other end of the spectrum, in agreement with previous research which has consistently ranked it as the safest recreational drug. While this may not be what governments want to hear, it highlights the need to use scientific evidence whilst creating policies regarding the use of licit and illicit drugs.
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-me ... estimated/

Marijuana is not, to be sure, a completely benign substance. It is a powerful drug that affects the body and mind in a variety of ways. However, except for the damage caused by smoking marijuana, its adverse effects resemble those of many approved medications. While the effectiveness of marijuana-based medicines remains largely to be determined, existing clinical data suggest that marijuana and its component chemicals could contribute to the treatment of numerous disorders.
https://www.nap.edu/read/9586/chapter/4#68
Suntzu wrote:Marijuana is not addictive. It is also pretty harmless and no one has ever died from an overdose.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/b ... our-heart/

A study published today in the Journal of the American Heart Association further demonstrates that marijuana use increases the risk of major cardiovascular events such as heart attack, heart rhythm disorders, and stroke, particularly in young people without other heart disease risk factors. The extreme seriousness of these events is underscored by a death rate exceeding 25 percent in those affected.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Seems like the American Heart Association disagrees with you.
What about people who have an alcohol addiction but live a fulfilling, functional life? Look at Lemmy from Motorhead. Drank for 40 years. Made a living writing and performing music. Died at age 70. What's the problem?
Agent Steel wrote:What about people who have an alcohol addiction but live a fulfilling, functional life? Look at Lemmy from Motorhead. Drank for 40 years. Made a living writing and performing music. Died at age 70. What's the problem?

Died at age 70 sure seems like a problem to me. In this day and age, dying at 70 is too young.

Hey, we're all going to die, just a question of when. So nobody should be afraid of dying, because it is inevitable. But being physical well for as long as possible is important to me, and it's not debatable that excessive use of alcohol, illegal drugs, etc, interferes with physical well being.
stephen50right wrote:
Died at age 70 sure seems like a problem to me. In this day and age, dying at 70 is too young.

Hey, we're all going to die, just a question of when. So nobody should be afraid of dying, because it is inevitable. But being physical well for as long as possible is important to me, and it's not debatable that excessive use of alcohol, illegal drugs, etc, interferes with physical well being.

You can't fuck with Lemmy bro. He is a legend. He's such a badass that he lived his entire life smoking, drinking, doing hard drugs, fucking, and rocking out, all the way till age 70, with no fucking regrets. And you're telling me that he would have been better off living a different lifestyle? Why, because he would have died at 80 instead of 70? That's idiotic. In his case he successfully squeezed out the maximum amount of joy and pleasure possible in this life. That's why he'll always be a legend and a hero to people like me. If you told him he was an alcoholic he'd probably just laugh at you.
Agent Steel wrote:You can't fuck with Lemmy bro. He is a legend. He's such a badass that he lived his entire life smoking, drinking, doing hard drugs, fucking, and rocking out, all the way till age 70, with no fucking regrets. And you're telling me that he would have been better off living a different lifestyle? Why, because he would have died at 80 instead of 70? That's idiotic. In his case he successfully squeezed out the maximum amount of joy and pleasure possible in this life. That's why he'll always be a legend and a hero to people like me.

I had never heard of him.

I guarantee that one of his last thoughts before he drew his last breath was that he wished he hadn't done drugs. He would have given up every illegal drug he ever used to be able to live to 80 and more, perhaps even for just one more day of life.
Agent Steel wrote:I doubt he had that thought. But even if he did, so what? He enjoyed his entire life doing drugs and drinking. So why should ONE regretful moment at the very end of it all somehow mean anything?

You call that enjoying life? You do know that drugs allow people to get lost in the moment, like being in a dream-like state of mind? Being sober is truly living because you are fully aware of everything around you.

You have no idea what sort of physical or mental problems he had. Maybe he died in agony but biographic articles are not likely to mention that, they just refer to people like him as legends. Maybe he had a miserable childhood or he felt disappointed in people so he drank and took drugs to forget about it. We may never know.

How can you envy someone who you know little about? You cannot know how they lived unless you have been "in their shoes", so to speak.
Agent Steel wrote:I doubt he had that thought. But even if he did, so what? He enjoyed his entire life doing drugs and drinking. So why should ONE regretful moment at the very end of it all somehow mean anything?

I'm not knocking the guy personally like I would against a gangster rap punk writing cop killing lyrics or something like that. I googled him and I like that basic style of music. I had heard of Motorhead, I just didn't follow them closely and didn't know the band member's names. Lemmy certainly has an impressive resume.

I'll add one more thing if I may, with all due respect to Lemmy and all other rockers. Since Lemmy did live to 70, which I think is a bit too soon to die, but isn't like it was 25 years old, he may not have partied as hard as purported. Oh I'm sure he had his moments of hard partying and drug use, and I'd be sure he did it a lot when he was young. But more than likely as he got older, he at least toned it down quite a bit, or he would have never made it to 70. Rockers or anyone who truly continue to constantly party hard as they get older, usually croak well before age 60.

RIP Lemmy
By Drlee
In his case he successfully squeezed out the maximum amount of joy and pleasure possible in this life.

Being stoned out of your brain is not joy. It is anesthesia. I can say this. If he was doing beautiful young women every day, he enjoyed himself more when he could remember it.

That's why he'll always be a legend and a hero to people like me. If you told him he was an alcoholic he'd probably just laugh at you.

Not really. He tried to live. He did not want to die. Two years before his death he tried to quit drinking. He quit the daily bottle of Jack. He had a pacemaker put in to help with his heart problems. He dramatically cut down his smoking. This does not sound like a "party till you die" kind of guy.

I know a lot of addicted people and tons of alcoholics. I do not know a single one who would not want to be sober. Or at least able to control their disease. At first they might deny that they had a disease. Then they put off getting help because they think they are in control. Then, if they don't die first, they get to where they either give in to the addiction or try to fix it.
Drlee wrote:Being stoned out of your brain is not joy. It is anesthesia. I can say this. If he was doing beautiful young women every day, he enjoyed himself more when he could remember it.

Being addicted to sex can also be a form of anesthesia.
MistyTiger wrote:
You call that enjoying life? You do know that drugs allow people to get lost in the moment, like being in a dream-like state of mind? Being sober is truly living because you are fully aware of everything around you.

You have no idea what sort of physical or mental problems he had. Maybe he died in agony but biographic articles are not likely to mention that, they just refer to people like him as legends. Maybe he had a miserable childhood or he felt disappointed in people so he drank and took drugs to forget about it. We may never know.

How can you envy someone who you know little about? You cannot know how they lived unless you have been "in their shoes", so to speak.

I know enough about the man. A lot of rock and rollers end up regretting their drug use, dying early, or going into rehab. Not Lemmy. He never pussed out. He stayed a true rock and roller till the day he died.

Sex, drugs, and music is the ideal lifestyle to live. You know you are jealous and wish you could live that kind of life.
Suntzu wrote:Yeah, why? :D

Why?

Because the divide between "real" (physical) disease and mental disease is illusory. All human action arises from the same set of physical laws that govern everything in the universe. In fact, disease as a category refers to nonexistent phenomena. There are no diseases, either physical or mental - only probabilistic deviations from the main sequence of human homeostasis. Your absolute belief in your own causal agency is illusory, but it is a necessary illusion (part of the grand chain of causation of which you are a minor cog). This, of course, leaves you blameless. This universe is constructed so that there is no blame, only consequences.
;)
Agent Steel wrote:
I know enough about the man. A lot of rock and rollers end up regretting their drug use, dying early, or going into rehab. Not Lemmy. He never pussed out. He stayed a true rock and roller till the day he died.

Sex, drugs, and music is the ideal lifestyle to live. You know you are jealous and wish you could live that kind of life.

You know about him but you do not know him. Everyone has moments of fear and weakness.

I am not jealous of someone who chooses to sleep with different strangers each week, drinking too much alcohol and taking lots of drugs. I care too much about my health to do that to myself. Besides, I am the low-key kind of girl who prefers a quiet and secluded life in the country rather than the very public life of a rockstar.
By Drlee
I am sure the some 2,000 women he claimed to have had sex with all thought it was just great the next day.

Yea. He was an admirable sort of fellow. My suspicion is that it takes massive insecurity to behave as he did. But you can't escape the fact that he did not run full-tilt to the end. Indeed in the end he fought for life just like every other mortal.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The Pentagon is notoriously famous for not findin[…]

I am not the one who never shows his credentials […]

As a Latino, I am always very careful about crossi[…]

Here are some of the the latest reports of student[…]