The Resurrection of Jesus - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Did Jesus Christ actually rise from dead?

Definitely Yes
25%
Probably Yes
2%
On the Fence
2%
Probably Not
17%
Definitely Not
55%
By Rich
He didn't rise from the dead, but he probably never died either. Jesus almost certainly started off as a heavenly redeemer figure whose imagined sacrifice occurred in the heavens. Jesus was revealed to the early Christians through reading the scriptures, this has been mistranslated as appearing. Paul and the other early epistle writers knew nothing of the Jesus' Gospel biographies.

Its ironic that Christians are waiting for Jesus' return, when he didn't show up the first time around.
I'm going with probably not.

There is a chance that He was the Son of God as supposedly predicted by the prophecies of the Old Testament, and rose from the dead after fighting Satan in Hell and dying for our sins. If that is the case then it makes sense that he resurrected from the dead and ascended to heaven, as a metaphor for spiritual atonement.

However if any of a number of other explanations are true then it definitely did not happen. I tend to fall on the latter side. Christians obviously feel very differently from most of the people on this forum, because it does seem to be a sticking point with them.

The one thing I do wonder is if the Gospels actually represent a real account of Jesus's life. If they do then resurrection from the dead is pretty far up there on his list of miracles, but it is a list nonetheless. So I would say another instance I see it being true is if the Bible is actually true. It's impossible to independently verify but it is the stuff of nightmares for atheists and non-believers if it is true because it means eternity in hell. That would suck.
@Zionist Nationalist

Simply being based on Judaism isn't enough to make it about Jews. Heck, Islam is based on Christianity more than Judaism. Shouldn't be "Christian Adventures: Revenge of Mohammed?". And why would it be Mohammed's revenge if this is the book where Mohammed was introduced? There would have to be another book after the Quran that talks about Mohammed or something where has a revenge or something and then it can be call the "Revenge of Mohammed".

@LV-GUCCI-PRADA-FLEX

These are my exact thoughts on the topic, thank you.

@Rugoz

People are more likely to see a poll in the home page of the website rather than see a poll on a sub-forum not many people go on. I myself don't keep my eye on this sub-forum that much.
Not only did Jesus or anyone else rise from the dead, Mohamed did not receive any communication from a creator of the Universe through anything remotely like an angel, a letter or cosmic sign. Likewise, some person did not have mysterious stone slabs dropped into their possession with the Ten commandments carved into them. People who believe this drivel need to grow up. But such widely held beliefs do prove how stupid the human race is.
Assuming we are not American believers in dark Martian plots, we can only assume that Jesus wasn't dead. He certainly convinced his followers. When we talk about earlier people we need to ask how they represented thought. Did Joan of Arc hear voices? - of course she did, it's the way most of us represent thinking to ourselves. Some people, unfortunately, can't distinguish such representaions from the real thing.
Since the minute workings of the universe change when we watch, I am not willing to rule out anything. Why does it care if humans are a meaningless species?
Also, people were often mistaken about people being dead at that time.
One Degree wrote:Since the minute workings of the universe change when we watch, I am not willing to rule out anything. Why does it care if humans are a meaningless species?
Also, people were often mistaken about people being dead at that time.

I am open to explanations of how the Universe works, just not the stupid Abrahamic religious explanations. Back when most people's world ended at the horizon, all religions had gimmicks, and the Christians had a lot of competition. So if Christ did exist, he was a man, we all know that much. A secret resurrection would have been pretty cool to people who lived with death all around them and had no TV. It should be obvious to Christians of average intelligence today, that Christ's resurrection was a convenient secret. Religions are full of this kind of secret knowledge. I reject such notions. All knowledge is open to humanity. You do not have to subscribe to a doctrine.
neopagan wrote:Not only did Jesus or anyone else rise from the dead, Mohamed did not receive any communication from a creator of the Universe through anything remotely like an angel, a letter or cosmic sign. Likewise, some person did not have mysterious stone slabs dropped into their possession with the Ten commandments carved into them. People who believe this drivel need to grow up. But such widely held beliefs do prove how stupid the human race is.

Meh, I'm not convinced that simply repeating what people believe is any sort of argument. You have to remember that at the time these beliefs were MORE realistic than the beliefs that they were competing against. Lets not take this out of the context of what the world at large believed, which was a lot weirder and more superstitious than what the Christians, Jews, or Muslims believed. Even now there is a certain appeal to those beliefs and a certain social expectation to believe that makes people believe "stupid" things.
LV-GUCCI-PRADA-FLEX wrote:Meh, I'm not convinced that simply repeating what people believe is any sort of argument. You have to remember that at the time these beliefs were MORE realistic than the beliefs that they were competing against. Lets not take this out of the context of what the world at large believed, which was a lot weirder and more superstitious than what the Christians, Jews, or Muslims believed. Even now there is a certain appeal to those beliefs and a certain social expectation to believe that makes people believe "stupid" things.

The Shroud of Turin and the Sudarium of Oviedo are authenticated scientific evidence that Jesus did rise from the dead. So to believe it is a "stupid" thing indicates ignorance or lack of knowledge. It is stupid for anyone to dismiss it as superstition without considering all the evidence.

https://www.shroud.com/guscin.htm
Hindsite wrote:The Shroud of Turin and the Sudarium of Oviedo are authenticated scientific evidence that Jesus did rise from the dead. So to believe it is a "stupid" thing indicates ignorance or lack of knowledge. It is stupid for anyone to dismiss it as superstition without considering all the evidence.

https://www.shroud.com/guscin.htm

Dream on. There is no scientific proof in the "shroud" of its actual origin. But you need to believe it, otherwise your silly little interpretation of the Universe falls apart.
I voted "probably not" for two reasons.

1. NOT: Because Christianity was mainly a mandatory philosophical dead-end designed to make Europeans the slaves of Rome

2. PROBABLY: Because it's possible that the traditional medicine of Jesus' time (if he existed) may have had a temporary cure for some kinds of death.

Confessions extracted under torture...seems legit.[…]

^ Wouldn't happen though, since the Israelis are n[…]

I was actually unaware :lol: Before he was […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Every accusation is a confession Why sexual v[…]