Opinions on Barack Obama's presidency - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

I think that Barack Obama was a (n)..........president.

outstanding.
2%
near great.
2%
above average.
31%
average.
12%
below average.
8%
poor.
10%
very poor.
23%
too early to pass judgment.
No votes
0%
I regard US presidents as mere figureheads, they hardly influence policies.
12%
other (please elaborate).
2%
MB. wrote:The current situation

Interesting to me is this poll and thread is more representation of who participates in the forum verses the job Obama did as president.

a few things come to mind

he was a divider and not a leader
corruption
he made every decision based on politics and his re-election, he lacked political courage
he was good to his voters but never once made an effort to those who did not vote for him
he always thought he was the smartest man in the room ...elitism
he never did anything that I can think of to get the economy going
He hated small business

I don't think history will be that kind to him not the worst president but he will have no legacy because he ruled by decree and executive orders.
he was a divider and not a leader

Nonsense. He as openly thwarted by the republicans. But wait. He bailed out big business and we did not hear a peep out of the republicans.

corruption

Proof? :roll:
he made every decision based on politics and his re-election, he lacked political courage

Garbage. He went straight at the republicans and made many unpopular decisions.
he was good to his voters but never once made an effort to those who did not vote for him

Oh good grief. He gave health care to vast numbers of people who did not support him. He bailed out big business when few of them voted for him. The fact is he was a great conservative president.
he always thought he was the smartest man in the room ...elitism

:lol:

By the way. When you are a graduate of Harvard Law School, president of the Harvard Law Review and a professor of constitutional law, well, you are frequently the smartest guy in the room.
he never did anything that I can think of to get the economy going

:lol: Really guy... You can't be that uninformed. Google "bailout". Google, General Motors. Google....never mind. That would require reading skills.

He hated small business

I will make you a bet. You do not even know what the term "small business" means. But give us a single thing he did to harm small business. (Hint. Don't mention health care. Obamacare was really good for small business.)

I am staggered by the stupidity I hear when people discuss President Obama. Of course I am a republican so I like moderately conservative presidents like Obama.
@Drlee I sense a lot of insecurity in your posts. Why is it you have to attempt to explain how much smarter you are than everyone else. This is an opinion thread. Its not a good look for you.

If Obama was such a great president then how do you explain the massive loss of Democrat congressional and gubernatorial seats and the presidency.
Clangeddin wrote:Only two of us voted for the figurehead thing? I guess conspirationism is not so mainstream anymore. :(

Actually I think it is due to our split view of the world. We can hate with a passion if we are talking about groups, but when we narrow it down to specific individuals we become 'a little more compassionate and forgiving.
If Obama was such a great president then how do you explain the massive loss of Democrat congressional and gubernatorial seats and the presidency.

This had absolutely nothing to do with President Obama. It had everything to do with the Republican Party's brilliant work in three areas:

1. Gerrymandering congressional districts.

2. Concentrating its financial resources at the local level.

3. The compartmentalizing of single-issue voters.

My party (republican) has done these things so well that they will probably gain seats in 2020 even with the most unpopular president in history in office.

I am surprised you did not know this. Just about everyone else does. Stop with Fox News and start watching MSNBC and CNN. They have been talking about this for a long time.
Drlee wrote:This had absolutely nothing to do with President Obama. It had everything to do with the Republican Party's brilliant work in three areas:

1. Gerrymandering congressional districts.

2. Concentrating its financial resources at the local level.

3. The compartmentalizing of single-issue voters.

My party (republican) has done these things so well that they will probably gain seats in 2020 even with the most unpopular president in history in office.

I am surprised you did not know this. Just about everyone else does. Stop with Fox News and start watching MSNBC and CNN. They have been talking about this for a long time.

Interesting that someone with supposed superior intellect and knowledge would discredit their entire post with the first sentence. Then again as I pointed out earlier those insecurities pop right back up in the last sentence. You would be great to play poker with....... all those tells. :lol:
Do you have something to refute what I wrote or are you just filling the time your mom says you can use the computer?
Clangeddin wrote:Only two of us voted for the figurehead thing? I guess conspirationism is not so mainstream anymore. :(

I was the other vote.

I think it is logical and consistent with the known facts to assume that within the US government there are several factions vying for power. They are not the parties. I think of them more as families, such as the Bushes or the Clintons. The one thing they have in common is that they are all rich and powerful already.

Together, these factions form a sort of gauntlet through which all viable candidates must pass. You make a deal with one or more of them, you get to try for the figurehead position.

Obama made a deal just like anyone else.

Of course, this is all speculation. But it seems like the simplest and most logical explanation for the observed facts.
Drlee wrote:Do you have something to refute what I wrote or are you just filling the time your mom says you can use the computer?

Are you ever able to make an argument without a personal attack and showing your insecurities? I refute pretty much everything you wrote. Does that hurts your feelings?
Finfinder wrote:Interesting that someone with supposed superior intellect and knowledge would discredit their entire post with the first sentence. Then again as I pointed out earlier those insecurities pop right back up in the last sentence. You would be great to play poker with....... all those tells. :lol:

Finfinde wrote:Are you ever able to make an argument without a personal attack and showing your insecurities? I refute pretty much everything you wrote. Does that hurts your feelings?

There is no argument here. This is simple gainsaying.
you attack me I swing back..... This get off my lawn thing is getting old.

BTW the title clearly says opinions does it not ?

No. You are not swinging. Swinging would be to make an informed and cogent argument. You have yet to do that. I discredited the ridiculous things you posted and you left them unanswered. If you disagree with me then make a counter argument.

The problem with the right dealing with President Obama is mostly that he governed from the right. He was overly friendly with the rich. He bailed out big business with the taxpayer's money and then threw those same taxpayers under the buss. He upheld the Bush era tax breaks for the wealthy. Kept Gitmo open. Kept the war in the middle east going. I would be very interested to hear someone make the case for calling him a liberal. I have never heard it yet.

So Finfinder. We are waiting. Refute the points I made in earlier posts and those on this one. Or you can always admit that you don't know how.
Finfinder wrote:Interesting that someone with supposed superior intellect and knowledge would discredit their entire post with the first sentence. Then again as I pointed out earlier those insecurities pop right back up in the last sentence. You would be great to play poker with....... all those tells. :lol:

You post was nothing but a personal attack without any substance what so ever.

insecurities, poker, tells. What a load of total garbage.

How about some substance rather than trash talk.
I said average. By which I mean average by the standards of post-war presidents.

I sympathise with the point of view that presidents are just figureheads. But even if they have to make Faustian pacts with the really powerful people on the way up, it does not entirely mean they have no leeway when they are in office. The fact that just by signing a piece of paper he can send all these people scurrying to readjust, means that the man in the whitehouse must have some leverage at least.

During the post-war period that I am familiar with, Republican premieres seem to have embraced more fully the role of golfer-in-chief, perhaps with the exception of daddy Bush, who was a power in his own right. Some of the Democrat presidents have been more energetic at resisting the dark forces around them, others not so much. I would put Obama in the "not so much" category.

He did not do much to reverse the creeping barrage of regime change antics across the middle east.

I remember seeing one of the primary debates between Hillary Clinton and Obama. They were discussing Cuba. Clinton was saying that Castro should first demonstrate a willingness to do x, y and z before he be admitted to any kind of talks with USA. Obama replied along the lines that he did not think any country should have to meet preconditions in order to meet with the president of the USA, like meeting with POTUS was some privilege they had to earn. This egalitarian sentiment towards international politics gave me some hope. But that hope gradually faded after he took up office.
@Drlee

Me: he was a divider and not a leader
Drlee Nonsense. He as openly thwarted by the republicans. But wait. He bailed out big business and we did not hear a peep out of the republicans.

Nonsense ?ok don't like my opinion don't take my word for it then

WASHINGTON (AP) — More Americans feel Barack Obama’s presidency divided the country than feel it brought people together, a new poll shows. Yet he leaves office held in high esteem by a solid majority.
Eight years after Obama’s historic election, just 27 percent see the U.S. as more united as a result of his presidency, according to an Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll conducted after the 2016 election. Far more — 44 percent — say it’s more divided.
Those figures underscore one of the key contradictions of Obama’s presidency. By and large, Americans like him. Yet, aside from the big “Obamacare” health care overhaul, he has been unable to translate that approval into congressional majorities to fulfill many of his goals.
“It’s one of the few regrets of my presidency — that the rancor and suspicion between the parties has gotten worse instead of better,” Obama said last January in his final State of the Union address.
reaqd more http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/15/pr ... norc-poll/
http://dailysignal.com/2017/01/19/obama ... d-america/
hundreds of articles and opinions that think he divided the country not just me

Me :corruption

Drlee Proof? ]

Come man I have to defend that really please why don't you Google IRS and targeting conservative or perhaps go through the old threads here on POFO
Benghazi really, I'm making this stuff up and am just so uninformed?
Do you really want me to post any of the thousands of links of very informed peoples opinions on corruption under his presidency. How about the unmasking of political adversaries

Me:he made every decision based on politics and his re-election, he lacked political courage

Drlee Garbage. He went straight at the republicans and made many unpopular decisions.
You need to provide examples of that please

Me:he was good to his voters but never once made an effort to those who did not vote for him

Drlee Oh good grief. He gave health care to vast numbers of people who did not support him. He bailed out big business when few of them voted for him. The fact is he was a great conservative president.

utterly ridiculous Charlie Brown! the polls don't lie the healthcare bill is very unpopular its fact not just my opinion. Do you need me to google that for you? A vast number ? Can you back that up, like how much is a vast number?

Me: he always thought he was the smartest man in the room ...elitism

Drlee

By the way. When you are a graduate of Harvard Law School, president of the Harvard Law Review and a professor of constitutional law, well, you are frequently the smartest guy in the room.

Says you but most college elites think this way yet it’s impossible if you never lived in the real world.

Me: he never did anything that I can think of to get the economy going

Drlee Really guy... You can't be that uninformed. Google "bailout". Google, General Motors. Google....never mind. That would require reading skills.

That is a very week argument I’ll counter with, what were the unemployment rates under Obama and more important of those employed what were their salaries? Again, not just my opinion let your fingers search for answers.
Noted another personal attack and condescension that’s flavors most of your posts

Me: He hated small business

Drlee
I will make you a bet. You do not even know what the term "small business" means. But give us a single thing he did to harm small business. (Hint. Don't mention health care. Obamacare was really good for small business.)

I am staggered by the stupidity I hear when people discuss President Obama. Of course I am a republican so I like moderately conservative presidents like Obama.

I’ll take the bet and don’t make threats without backing them up how much do you want to lose?

Nice personal attack again passive aggressive much? Hey but don’t take my opinion (which this thread asked for opinions ) lot of info out there peole agree with me but your opinion is the rule right :roll: .

BTW Obama was hardly the most liberal president and moderate in many ways but calling him a conservative president is intellectually dishonest. Do you need me to google the thousands and thousands of opinions out there that would agree with me?
Eight years after Obama’s historic election, just 27 percent see the U.S. as more united as a result of his presidency, according to an Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll conducted after the 2016 election. Far more — 44 percent — say it’s more divided.
Those figures underscore one of the key contradictions of Obama’s presidency. By and large, Americans like him. Yet, aside from the big “Obamacare” health care overhaul, he has been unable to translate that approval into congressional majorities to fulfill many of his goals.
“It’s one of the few regrets of my presidency — that the rancor and suspicion between the parties has gotten worse instead of better,” Obama said last January in his final State of the Union address.

Thank you for posting evidence to support my point in its entirety.

Handcuffed medics, patients with medical equipmen[…]

@Pants-of-dog it is not harassment for students […]

So do many other races and people. This genetic […]

Anti-war calls are increasingly being voiced aroun[…]