What are the principal reasons for not giving people great educations? .. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

What are the principal reasons for not giving people great educations?

Because great educations are too expensive and require too many sacrifices from taxpayers?
15%
Because great educations are expensive in some other resource?
7%
Because they are not as necessary as time goes by?
4%
Because not everyone can use a fine education?
7%
Because education is something that should be left up to parents only to determine?
No votes
0%
Because teachers have too many unions and are not pressured out for incompetence from the system?
7%
Because the only people worthy of a great education are the middle class and the wealthy?
7%
Education is just hard. Administering it, delivering it and implementing it? Too hard. Got to give up on educating people. A pain in the ass.
7%
Other
44%
Because great educations are too expensive and require too many sacrifices from taxpayers?

Because they are not as necessary as time goes by?

Because not everyone can use a fine education?

Because education is something that should be left up to parents only to determine?

Because teachers have too many unions and are not pressured out for incompetence from the system?

Because the only people worthy of a great education are the middle class and the wealthy?

Education is just hard. Administering it, delivering it and implementing it? Too hard. Got to give up on educating people. A pain in the ass.

I wanted to have this happen in a poll? Why did the poll not show up?
Below the text box there is the options tab - attach signature, BBCode, etc. and beside it is the upload an image tab. In the polls section there is an additional tab "Poll creation".
Each line is one option.
When choosing "Enter the max number of options the user can select" choose an amount equal or less than the amount of line, otherwise submitting will loop you back to the editor without telling you why.
Most people are too stupid to understand that a well educated public is a productive, and progressive public. The best countries in the world value education.

You have to value the educators as well as the education and make sure it is not compromised by religion, ideology, or pseudo-science.
Suntzu wrote:Hard to say. I have a measured I.Q. of 144, and you? :lol:

Yes, those Facebook IQ tests are testament to high intelligence. Congrats on your achievements. :lol:

But on a serious note, do you know what the difference is between being smart and being stupid? Education. Perhaps your IQ hasn't improved your common sense in spotting the obvious fallacy in your statement. :lol:
B0ycey wrote:Yes, those Facebook IQ tests are testament to high intelligence. Congrats on your achievements. :lol:

But on a serious note, do you know what the difference is between being smart and being stupid? Education. Perhaps your IQ hasn't improved your common sense in spotting the obvious fallacy in your statement. :lol:

A testament to your I.Q.

1 a (1) : the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations : reason; also : the skilled use of reason (2) : the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria (such as tests)

Definition of ignorance

: the state or fact of being ignorant : lack of knowledge, education, or awareness

Education cures ignorance not stupidity. Only God can cure stupid.
Suntzu wrote:Education cures ignorance not stupidity. Only God can cure stupid.

Another fallacy. And a strawmen to boot. :lol:

What was your IQ again?

Smartness is determined by your ability to learn. Without education you limit what you can learn. A lack of learning is known as ignorance. So ignorance is associated by education that is linked to... wait for it... smartness.

Do you think Newton/Einstein would have had a high IQ without education BTW? Or more importantly do you think they would be just as smart without education?
Because teaching methods are abysmal. How many times was I at school in an English speaking country and the education was purely for passing exams and for utilitarian purposes. Just generally the approach to education in the Anglophone world is shocking. But it is not helped by the culture which does not value education and which looks down on people taking an interest in the humanities or arts.

And how is it possible to do well at school when you cannot enjoy a middle class living standard? I don't think it's possible.
B0ycey wrote:Another fallacy. And a strawmen to boot. :lol:

What was your IQ again?

Smartness is determined by your ability to learn. Without education you limit what you can learn. A lack of learning is known as ignorance. So ignorance is associated by education that is linked to... wait for it... smartness.

Do you think Newton/Einstein would have had a high IQ without education BTW? Or more importantly do you think they would be just as smart without education?

The question is, "What is your I.Q.". Intelligence is innate. You are born with it or you ain't. Teaching folks to be smart is like feed folks to be tall. :)
Suntzu wrote:The question is, "What is your I.Q.". Intelligence is innate. You are born with it or you ain't. Teaching folks to be smart is like feed folks to be tall. :)

What does it matter? You're previous points were wrong. As for your current point, I will accept that genetics is a factor with how smart you can be but ultimately intelligence comes down to learning things. If you take a genetic clone of Newton and also take Mr Joe public as test subjects and stick the clone in an isolated cupboard for the first twenty years of his life and Mr Joe public was given the highest education avaliable with both taking an IQ test at 21, who do you think will perform better?
Suntzu wrote:You can't take a moron and educate him to be smart.

I don't agree with that statement. The time it takes to learn something might be longer, the concentration levels shorter and perhaps the limit of what can be understood would be less, but I genuinely believe that anyone can achieve an IQ level of 120 with a will and an access to education. Even a moron.
Poll questions added.

That being done, I am curious what your scope is. Do you mean all persons, or do you mean a 'people' as in a population group?

If you mean all persons, I would say that the lack of great educators is the biggest obstacle. Mediocre teachers abound, but they dont give great educations. The great educators are few who are
1) belittled and suppressed by envious educators and those who wish to protect their hold on knowledge,
2) educational systems that do not reward being a great educator and
3) the limits of the medium (and the expectation people have of that medium) they educate through.
4) there are other fields that are more rewarding.

Which would be, more or less:

Because great educations are expensive in some other resource?
Other
Last edited by Thunderhawk on 24 Dec 2017 18:47, edited 2 times in total.
I think the best education is expensive and you need to take out student loans to attend the best universities, by which you would need to pay off $80,000 or more upon graduation. A lot of uni students have to choose less expensive alternatives unwillingly by attending less prestigious local universities, where lecturers are less talented and unenthusiastic. But you could get away with only $20,000 in four years.
Last edited by ThirdTerm on 24 Dec 2017 20:32, edited 3 times in total.

@FiveofSwords On e again, you fail to provide[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

…. the left puts on the gas pedal and the right […]

@QatzelOk DeSantis got rid of a book showing chi[…]