Ethics Poll - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

What do you think should happen:

We should give the visitors what they need and wish them well
39%
We should imprison the visitors and study/interrogate them to find out what we can for all of humanity
17%
We should imprison the visitors and study/interrogate them to find out what we can and turn it to our advantage
17%
Other(please explain)
26%
By Victoribus Spolia
Suntzu wrote:As illegal aliens, they should be deported

Yeah, but unlike most, we could actually learn something from these ones. :lol:

*triggering to commence is 3.....2......1.....*

Bulaba Jones wrote:Rugoz is correct. The timeline from reverse-engineering their technology and then launching an invasion of their homeworld to protect Holy Terra is short and must be done with haste. While I myself might consider my opinions on the matter aggressive, I'm quite surprised at how extremely aggressive and warmongering Rugoz actually is. In any case, I agree with Rugoz's opinions about conquering them as soon as possible.

Indeed, Holy Terra would have to move quickly and efficiently. This move is not aggressive, but natural. We cannot allow a superior force to exist for it would be, by definition, a perpetual threat whether they claim to be peaceful or not.
By Bulaba Khan Jones
Besides, how can we truly be sure about their intentions? If dried, decaying carbon-based plant matter is their source of fuel, it would be reasonable to conclude that it is quite valuable, prized, and sought-after (relatively speaking). Even if these aliens have entire industries dedicated to the production and drying-out of plant matter, it's plentiful on Earth, and the fact these aliens happen to know it's here would imply they've already studied us and know something about our planet, its ecosystem, and so forth. If the aliens who land and want some fuel to be "on their way" don't have any intention of taking it by force, how do we know there won't be others who do?

It would honestly, under those conditions, make more sense to whisk away the pilots/crew to some area that is isolated and contained, remove any items/clothing that might allow them to be tracked, including any implants in their bodies, and then hold them for interrogation, in comfort (since they have done nothing to threaten us, even if their species is a threat). Simply keep, on any documentation at all, the "fact" that the crew died after landing on Earth and the corpses had to be destroyed to prevent contamination of our biosphere from any extraterrestrial pathogens. The ship would then need to be reverse-engineered or at least as much of its technology understood so we could use its sensor equipment to track any further ships entering our solar system. Even if we couldn't build ships, we could develop the technology to track ships in space, and perhaps develop the means to defend the planet (as I'm going to assume even if it's not a military-type ship from another world, it probably has defenses, alloys we've never seen, and other defense equipment we could develop for domestic purposes).

In any event, the realization we have resources that's as important to an alien race as scarce petroleum resources are to the continuation of the smooth functioning of human civilization should be a cause for alarm.
By foxdemon
Ok, so we hear about alien spaceships crashing all over the place. I must ask why? If they are so advanced then what is with all this faulty equipment? Don’t they know how to fly their spaceships?

Could it be that they are drunk?

Are they intergalactic hoodies who have stolen the spaceship?

Are they just incompetent?

It seems to me that arresting the aliens on suspicion of drunk flying or grand theft spacecraft would be the appropriate response. Maybe they are just clumsy. If so then I am sure their appointed lawyer will sort it out.
By Godstud
This is a good video. His voice is fun(he has a speech imediment) but what he says makes sense.
By 4cal
Godstud wrote:We should give the visitors what they need and wish them well

We will be horribly at a disadvantage and any aggressive action on our part could be disastrous. Assuming that they need anything from us is hilarious. If they've com across the galaxy to us, they sure aren't going to need anything from us that they can't get elsewhere in greater quantities.

That'd be like assuming if we found a caveman tomorrow, that we'd be there to get something from him. :lol: It's quite laughable!

Yeah, obviously, we have all the resources mankind will ever need on this planet and any exploration craft we've launched has worked perfectly; no exceptions. :roll:
By 4cal
Great discussion every one. Nice to see a community that actually answered something other than "mango" to an opinion poll.
By Politiks
Victoribus Spolia wrote:I don't know whether to feel proud by this, or offended by your odd generalization of anglos as barbarians.....hmmmm...

:peace:

I think proud. Yes. I am very proud of this. Thank you

Well, takes lot's of work to be savage barbarians for so many centuries and generations. In that sense for sure you should be proud
By Godstud
4cal wrote:Yeah, obviously, we have all the resources mankind will ever need on this planet and any exploration craft we've launched has worked perfectly; no exceptions. :roll:
You're pretty clueless about this sort of thing, aren't you?

Any species that manages to get to earth via space travel, isn't going to need earthly shit resources, or our crappy space technology.

Do you think if we thawed out a caveman that we'd be asking it for technology and resources?? That's what we'd be, to an alien species who managed to find us.
By Bulaba Khan Jones
The OP specifically poses the hypothetical scenario of what if advanced aliens came to Earth and asked for fuel to be on their way. The OP is literally posing that as a scenario to then discuss/vote on. It doesn't matter if the question is implausible, that's what the question is in the OP.
By 4cal
Noemon edit: Redacted, Rule 2

Godstud wrote:Any species that manages to get to earth via space travel, isn't going to need earthly shit resources, or our crappy space technology.

Do you usually get so worked up over a hypothetical question?

Fine.... The ship lands next to a plutonium mine where there is plutonium all around. They have a working super conducive modulator that will take the plutonium and turn it into fuel for their spaceship. They usually had enough but they had a leak so they had to ditch on earth to pick up some more. There, happy? They have sixteen gazillion dollars to pay for all of the plutonium they could use and offer it so they can leave and go back home...

Godstud wrote:Do you think if we thawed out a caveman that we'd be asking it for technology and resources?? That's what we'd be, to an alien species who managed to find us.

Okay, I drop you in the middle of the wilderness without your cell phone or any support whatsoever. But you're from the year 2018. Are you going to smugly sit there on your ass and insist that you don't need the skills that the wilderness men and women had to kill animals, harvest their meat and survive because they are not as advanced as you or are you going to get with Jethro and Cletus and try to survive?
By Godstud
Everything you can find on earth can be found in larger and purer quantities in other places in the universe. Earth is, by no means, unique as far as resources go. It's actually quite low in them.

I'm not worked up. I find the Hollywood mentality to be quite silly, and very ignorant, though.

4cal wrote:Okay, I drop you in the middle of the wilderness without your cell phone or any support whatsoever. But you're from the year 2018. Are you going to smugly sit there on your ass and insist that you don't need the skills that the wilderness men and women had to kill animals, harvest their meat and survive because they are not as advanced as you or are you going to get with Jethro and Cletus and try to survive?
You quite clearly didn't understand what I was getting at. An alien species who can survive in space for long enough to visit earth is hardly going to be daunted by earth climate.

What does two idiots in the wild have anything to do with aliens not needing our help or primitive technology to survive? Are we going to introduce them to vaccines? Are we going to teach them the wonders of internal combustion engines?
Godstud is being paid by subhuman xenos to placate as many humans as possible to their nefarious alien threat and twisted alien ideologies by spreading the erroneous thought that aliens are to be trusted, and that we have nothing they need. Any landing upon Terran soil is clearly a prelude to invasion, a reconnaissance in (hidden) force!
By Godstud
Humans must know their place in the galaxy, and when our alien masters come, it is I who will be the savior of the human race! Muahahahaha!

@Bulaba Jones, you ratfink! You'll get yours for exposing our plan!
The appearance of both options 2 and 3 raise the question "who's 'we', Kemosabe?" Since this is an international forum, "our advantage" would seem to mean "PoFo's advantage". Forward, under the Glorious Helmsman of PoFo! Glad to see people voting for that.

I think we should ask them how they manage to communicate their need for brown leaves and promise to leave the moment they've got them so well (was it in English? Interpretative dance? Pictures drawn in the ground with a fuel rod?) We also ought to ask them how they power interstellar ships with a bit of cellulose. Hell, if it's plutonium they use, we still ought to ask. I mean, if we're giving them the ability to travel the galaxy again, we deserve something in return.
By Godstud
Any aliens with any intelligence, will communicate with us in our languages. They will have had plenty of time to study us while they traveled to our neck of the woods.

Again, they won't be asking us for plutonium or any resources. If they are travelling in space to get to us, they can already find better sources for everything. Earth is a low resource world.

Want hydrogen? Gas giants are better.

H2O? Ganymede(moon of Jupiter) is a far better source and could actually harbor more water than all of Earth's surface water combined.

Plutonium? Aliens aren't going to be using low tech radio-actives to travel the universe. That's like suggesting they use internal combustion engines to fly their starships. :knife:

They are going to be far more technologically advanced than we are, if they manage to visit us, and pretending they are going to be asking for our help, is pretty ludicrous. Too much fucking Hollywood.
You've got to go with the scenario as painted for the poll, Godstud. They've crashed, so we don't know they've been studying us. They have, for whatever reason, asked for brown leaves (later modified to plutonium to mollify some other complaint). We deserve a bit of knowledge from them in exchange.

I think a pretty much universal reaction would be "what the fuck is going on?"
By SolarCross
Prosthetic Conscience wrote:The appearance of both options 2 and 3 raise the question "who's 'we', Kemosabe?" Since this is an international forum, "our advantage" would seem to mean "PoFo's advantage". Forward, under the Glorious Helmsman of PoFo! Glad to see people voting for that.

I would think given that the "them" in the us vs them dynamic here are aliens then the "we" would be either all the human species as a collective or perhaps even all Earth life including, but not limited to, homo sapiens.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Two things can be true at once: Russia doesn't ha[…]

Thank goodness saner heads and science is prevaili[…]

4 foot tall Chinese parents are regularly giving b[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]