Is the United States a White Supremacist Nation? - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Is the United States a White Supremacist Nation?

Yes
38%
No
40%
Other
21%
Agent Steel wrote:I highly doubt you do. There are tons of little nuances in the way we speak, so little you can hardly even notice them individually, but they add up. Sure you can have an excellent grasp of the English language but there are also cultural barriers between us. People would much rather have a native English speaker than an immigrant to work in a position that involves a lot of communicating. I'm sorry but it's true.

No, it is not true.

Also, this type of resumé racism is not restricted to jobs involving communicating with the public.
Hindsite wrote:Okay, you are right about the photo. But I think there should be a place where you can tell the employer why you would be of help to their company. There is where you could sneak in those points you mentioned.

Yes, there is the cover letter. But employers don't always want to read a cover letter since they get a ton of those from people who write boring crap that's copied right off a website or out of a book.

@Agent Steel There aren't that many nuances that Americans use in every day speech. Most Americans on the job aren't that sophisticated. And it does not take a genius to read people. ;)

Pants-of-dog wrote:Also, this type of resumé racism is not restricted to jobs involving communicating with the public.

So true.
MistyTiger wrote:Yes, there is the cover letter. But employers don't always want to read a cover letter since they get a ton of those from people who write boring crap that's copied right off a website or out of a book.

I was just trying to help, but you seem to know more about this than I do. However, I don't think it helps that you put yourself down because of your race and almond shaped eyes. I liked it better when you were emphasizing your good points. Some women seem to use eyeliner to make their eyes more almond shaped. I don't find it so unattractive, but I guess that is just me.
Hindsite wrote:I was just trying to help, but you seem to know more about this than I do. However, I don't think it helps that you put yourself down because of your race and almond shaped eyes. I liked it better when you were emphasizing your good points. Some women seem to use eyeliner to make their eyes more almond shaped. I don't find it so unattractive, but I guess that is just me.

Thanks for trying to help.

I've been through a lot all my life. It's pretty hard when there are so many who discriminate or look down their nose at me and other non-White people. It happens just about everywhere I am. People like to judge based on appearance because it's so easy to do and doesn't require serious thought.

When people mention White supremacy, negative thoughts about my past rough experiences comes up to the surface. It's like drinking bitter juice. Very few people are actually openminded. The last 2 years have been a bit easier for me but not without lots of effort on my part. I sort of changed my personality and I have to try my hardest to ignore the judgmental stares and the blatant ignorance and so on.

The eyeliner thing...it's a trend. Right now it's winged but who knows what it'll be in a few years.
@MistyTiger I have seen the research POD mentions but I find it hard to believe. But I live in Australia. Maybe things are different in America?

A few years ago I had a Chinese guy as a flatmate. He got a job in a well known accounting firm before he even graduated. I work in IT. My workplace is full of people with Indian or Chinese backgrounds. If there is so much discrimination, how did all these people get their jobs?

There is American research and then there is the reality around me. Curiously, I overheard some young international backpackers talking a few months back. They were saying Australians aren’t as racist as Americans. I find that hard to believe. But maybe there is something to it?

The US government does make a big thing about classifying people into races. The term non-Latino white is quite bizarre to anyone outside the USA. In Australia there is no white category. There are Anglos, Italians, Greeks, etc. The government only recognises one official racial group: Aboriginals. That is unavoidable due to specific welfare for Aboriginals only. Maybe the government in America could move away from racial classification? Maybe that bureaucratic classification is shaping peoples’ self image?

Anyway, fair is fair and now it is my turn to complain. I have faced huge barriers to getting a job in Asian countries. They have all sorts of laws to prevent it. It does annoy me that I don’t get the same freedom of choice that Asian immigrants get here. But I think this is changing. Hopefully the TTP will give Australians an easier time in living and working in Asians countries, at least those that have also joined the trade block.
In my experience, racism is different, depending on where you are.

Racism towards aboriginal people is more common in Australia and Canada, than it would be in the US.
Racism against Latinos/Black people/Immigrants is more common in the US.
Racism towards Black people/Immigrants is more common in the UK.

The amount of racism, however, varies greatly upon region.
Godstud wrote:In my experience, racism is different, depending on where you are.

Racism towards aboriginal people is more common in Australia and Canada, than it would be in the US.
Racism against Latinos/Black people/Immigrants is more common in the US.
Racism towards Black people/Immigrants is more common in the UK.

The amount of racism, however, varies greatly upon region.

And there is a lot of ethnic-nationalism in Asia. It isn’t always non-Latino white people.

@MistyTiger comes from a Taiwanese family background. How well do you suppose she would go in Japan or Korea? Things do seem to be changing though. Japan is talking about accepting more immigration. It remains to be seen how it works out.

Under Xi Jinping we are seeing entho-nationalism being encouraged. Even by appeals to the diaspora, which I think will only cause more problems for people in the long run. Of course there is a Hindu nationalism in India. Is the situation in Asia one step forward and two back or is it two steps forward and one back?

We are also seeing anti-Chinese racism in the West reappearing. I was surprised to read about events in Vancouver.

https://www.straight.com/news/890816/one-five-bc-citizens-emails-province-about-real-estate-expressed-racism-towards-asians

http://www.nsnews.com/news/racist-graffiti-in-west-vancouver-raises-questions-about-wider-intolerance-1.21419943

Possibly rich Chinese property investors are distorting the market? Another possibility is that neo-nazi influences are creeping across the boarder? What’s going on in Canada?
@Godstud is correct. Racism depends on region.

I live in a small, rural state - New Hampshire. Most of the people I grew up around and work with, are common and the blue collar types. Most of them have little or no college education and they have a tendency towards narrowmindedness. The majority in my area are white. The area is still not as open as cities like Boston or San Francisco. The city I live in has a population of 30,000 or thereabouts and it's still predominantly white. Most of my competition for jobs are white. Typically the Asians that live here study hard sciences not business like I do now.

I went to Taiwan years ago to get the "lay of the land." But the cost of living is way more expensive than where I live now and my cousin basically said, "If you can't speak Chinese fluently, then you have a slim chance of surviving here. And so many Americans want to teach English." Finding work in Taiwan is much harder than finding work in my area. I would have to give up a lot to start a new life overseas and I don't think I can do that. I'm already on my second shot with my career, a third shot with English teaching would be a mistake in my opinion. It's just too much of a struggle for me and my parents.

I even heard for a friend living in Asia that a new car is 6 times as much as a new car in America, not that they have to own cars over there. Buses and taxis are in abundance.

I don't want to live in Taiwan though. I wouldn't have a house sitting on a few acres of land. The buildings over there are packed together like sardine cans.

Confessions extracted under torture...seems legit.[…]

^ Wouldn't happen though, since the Israelis are n[…]

I was actually unaware :lol: Before he was […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Every accusation is a confession Why sexual v[…]