PoFo Consensus: Sexual Orientation - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

What is your sexual orientation?

Heterosexual
72%
Bisexual
11%
Homosexual
7%
Pansexual
2%
Asexual
4%
Other
4%
Hedrosexual
Heterosexuality is a term used to describe a person who is physically, emotionally and/or romantically attracted to individuals of a gender other than their own. For example, a man who is attracted solely to women would be considered heterosexual. Although heterosexuality is often thought of as sexual, emotional and/or romantic attraction to the opposite sex, the existence of more than just two sexes (such as intersex individuals) renders this definition obsolete.

Furthermore, this definition assumes that “sex” and “gender” are interchangeable. However, heterosexuality actually refers to attraction to gender, and as discussed previously, gender lies on a spectrum, not a binary. People who identify as heterosexual are colloquially referred to as being “straight,” and are often regarded as members of the societal sexual majority. As members of the hegemonic norm, it is not uncommon for heterosexual individuals to believe that everyone around them is heterosexual, that this is the only “normal” or “correct” sexual orientation, or even that it is superior to other orientations.

These beliefs constitute heteronormativity and heterosexism, and have historically fueled discrimination against those who do not identify with heterosexuality. Further, heterosexual individuals often do not realize the privileges they enjoy in everyday life, and tend to take the ease with which they navigate the public social sphere for granted. For example, heterosexual couples can express affection publicly, and may kiss, hug, or hold hands without the fear of ridicule or hostile behavior. Most can have children and start families that are unequivocally affirmed, recognized, and legitimized by others. They can marry when and where they wish without facing moral opposition, practice any religion without being ostracized, and may apply for any job without fearing being fired based on their sexual orientation.

Bisexual
Often simply referred to as “bi,” a person who is bisexual is attracted to people of both their own and another gender. It most commonly refers to people who are attracted to both men and women, yet some bisexual people have a preference for one gender over another. While the prefix “bi” does mean “two,” or “both,” this term does not indicate the presence of a gender binary—the idea that there are only two genders.13 Rather, it simply implies attraction to two genders: one’s own and one that is not one’s own.

Bisexuality is often de-legitimized by other sexual orientations, and thus it is often ignored or erased. Bisexuals often feel invisible in society. For example, many view a bisexual person’s sexual interactions with both men and women as a stepping-stone to homosexuality, or that those who claim to be “bisexual” are actually homosexuals who are not ready to come out of the closet, that they wish to retain a semblance of heterosexual privilege, or that they are straight people acting out for attention. Interestingly, research indicates that people are more likely to perceive bisexual men as more homosexual than bisexual women. This view of bisexual men supports the “one-drop rule” in which people define someone as homosexual based on a singular homosexual encounter.

Homosexual
A person who identifies as homosexual is one who is physically, romantically and/or emotionally attracted to individuals of the same gender with which they identify. A man who is attracted to other men is usually referred to as “gay”. However, a woman who is attracted to other women may prefer to be called “a lesbian”. Other people in the LGBTQ community that are not homosexual sometimes refer to themselves as gay, although they may not identify as gay. While homosexuality does accurately describe the type of attraction felt by some members of the community, the term is often seen as clinical or indicative of a psychological disorder or abnormality, and may be offensive to some. More specific terms, such as gay and lesbian, are preferable for everyday use.

Society has a habit of labeling those who do not necessarily comply with its set “rules” as outsiders, and ostracizes them through association with negative characteristics and hurtful stereotypes. Homophobic labels and behaviors induce feelings of alienation among LGBTQ individuals, which makes it more difficult for them to find self-acceptance and comfort. Discriminatory ideology can heavily impact daily life for gay men and lesbian women. Aside from religious hostility or workplace discrimination, members of the LGBTQ community also face prejudice in health care as well. It has been found that many health care providers demonstrate both implicit and explicit bias in favor of heterosexual people, by assuming that they are at a lower risk for certain health conditions than homosexual people. As a result, gay men and lesbian women are far less often selected for health care coverage than heterosexuals. Homosexuality often imbues people with the unfortunate weight of discrimination in all walks of social life.

Pansexual
The word “pansexual” is derived from the Greek prefix “pan,” meaning “all.” People who identify as pansexual (or “omnisexual” in some cases) are attracted to others regardless of sex or gender. This includes attraction to people who identify as male, female, transgender, intersex, third gender, genderqueer, or anything in between. Being pansexual does not mean that a person is attracted to anyone and everyone—only that they do not prefer any one gender to another. For example, a demisexual pansexual person has the potential to feel sexually attracted to any gender, yet cannot feel this attraction prior to forming an emotional bond. Hence, pansexual people do not necessarily desire every person they encounter.

Asexual
A person who identifies as asexual generally does not experience sexual attraction or has little to no desire to engage in sexual activity. This is not the same as having a sexual dysfunction or choosing celibacy; asexuals simply do not desire sex. On the Kinsey scale, which describes the spectrum of sexual orientation, asexuality is given its own separate category known as category X.

Category X includes those who do not feel sexual attraction or have sexual desire. Research shows that asexuality can be defined as a lack of sexual behavior, lack of sexual attraction, self-identification as asexual, or a combination of these. Interviews conducted with a group of asexual people revealed that those in relationships often consented to sex with their partner when asked, yet derived no physical pleasure or increased emotional attachment from the act. Although they do not necessarily enjoy or desire to have sex, people who identify as asexual still desire romantic relationships with people of the same or other genders. While the overall definition of asexuality describes a lack of sexual desire, the identity can vary from person to person with regard to feelings on relationships or how asexuality factors (or does not factor) into their everyday life.

Think about it, answer, discuss. Keep things civil please. Trolls stay out.

Edit: Was updated to include bisexual.
Last edited by Albert on 17 Mar 2018 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus Christ Albert. Is this your way of announcing on PoFo that you are homosexual or that you are oppressing your true feelings and using this poll to somehow shout out?

It is time you come out of the closet. Only then will you finally feel free.
If you want to act like a juvenile do it some place else please, this is a forum for grown ups. I'm done tolerating low common denominator trolling that is deteriorating PoFo into troll circus.
I was a member on PoFo before you even knew how to log on to internet, do not tell me what is good topic or not I can post on PoFo. How about you post a post finally that is worthy of some sort of intelligent discourse.
Albert, you joined PoFo like six months before me. You aren't exactly 'Old School'. Also you pissed off from PoFo for six months because you got your feeling hurt for being banned for writing shit. This poll is shit. It has nothing to do with politics and the only reason you started it was because you knew people were going to start calling you "gay". The OP even stated 'no trolls' because you knew this would start people trolling you.

BTW I am not trolling you, but helping you. You need to get out of the closet and get a job. Only then you will become an actual worthwhile citizen of humanity.

Also if you knew my profession, you'd know that I have logged on the internet before you.
I'm here from like 2008 brah, this account is like my ... fifth .... seventh? Anyways long story as to why, but yea I have seniority over you here.

@Bulaba Jones are you not a mod, and this is kind of standard you display? PoFo used to be a place where such post as above will be humiliating and people would laugh at you (generally speaking not you in particular Jones). For being unintelligent brutish troll, it used to be a place where intelligent people could feel at home and cast the halfwits down to the basement of off-topic forums. No more, the peasants have taken over.
Last edited by Albert on 17 Mar 2018 10:04, edited 3 times in total.
You are upset for being loud, proud, and heterosexual? What has happened to that free spirited, open minded Albert I used to know? Getting mad publicly for no reason is no way to win over Saeko.
Last edited by Bulaba Khan Jones on 17 Mar 2018 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
Albert wrote:If you want to act like a juvenile do it some place else please, this is a forum for grown ups. I'm done tolerating low common denominator trolling that is deteriorating PoFo into troll circus.

It's ok, Albert. I should have seen it when you're fangirling on Putin was, but obviously what really expose you was when said trump was a better president than Obama. That I knew that you're chubby chaser.

[center-img]https://queerty-prodweb.s3.amazonaws.com/wp/docs/2013/12/putin-eternal-flamer.jpg[/center-img]
Last edited by Libertarian353 on 17 Mar 2018 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
Albert wrote:I'm here from like 2008 brah, this account is like my ... fifth .... seventh? Anyways long story as to why, but yea I have seniority over you here.

Fuck do you Albert. No one have seniority on anyone else. This is you believing that a bed wetting, living with their parents fool has some inherent privileges on someone else because he is male and white.

Also, give me the name of your first account? You first post doesn't imply you were here before anyway. So like this poll, you too are chatting shit.
Bulaba Jones wrote:You are upset for being loud, proud, and heterosexual? What has happened to that free spirited, open minded Albert I used to know? Getting mad publicly for no reason is no way to win over Saeko.
I see you have set your eye on Saeko, you wont succeed. I can tell you that already. Saeko is a particular girl she does not tolerate weak men.
Albert wrote:Saeko is a particular girl she does not tolerate weak men.

You're fucked then. :lol:

Also, Albert your English and sentence construction has weaken since the days when you were known as Plaro. You were once quite coherent.
I'm a pure heterosexual male. Historically we have been severely oppressed. Christianity is a closet homosexual religion. We are certainly a minority of people, but I strongly suspect we are a minority amongst men. Put men or boys into single sex boarding schools or prisons and an awful lot of men / boys start engaging in homosexual behaviour.

Both Christianity and Islam, while being superficially hostile to homosexuality were in practice extremely tolerant of it while severely restricting the sexual heterosexual opportunities for lower and middle class males. One of the great feminist lies is that patriarchy is something imposed on society by heterosexual males. I went to a school at a time when men were men, women were women and small round furry things from Alpha Centauri, were small round furry things from Alpha Centauri. But I have no doubt that the large majority of my male heterosexual school mates, would have happily accepted that Gender was a social construct if we could share showers with the girls, rather than being gender segregated. Rather than being subjected to gender apartheid.

I was brought up as a Christian. We were taught that if we fantasised about naked women, we would burn for eternity in hell. The only way to save ourselves was to spend as much time as possible fantasising about a naked man on a cross.
Last edited by Rich on 18 Mar 2018 01:32, edited 1 time in total.
Heterosexual, here.
I don't care what other people are though, as it doesn't affect me in the slightest. Do what makes you happy, as long as it's with consenting adults.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Assuming it's true. What a jackass. It's like tho[…]

Wishing Georgia and Georgians success as they seek[…]

@FiveofSwords Bamshad et al. (2004) showed, […]

Let's set the philosophical questions to the side[…]