Is it time to switch from Starbucks to Peet's? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Is it time to switch from Starbucks to Peet's?

Yes++ I already drink Peet's. Starbucks is for sissies.
No votes
0%
Yes. WTF are they thinking?
19%
No. I prefer an establishment that lectures me on racism and caters to loiterers over paying customers.
33%
Other.
48%
Just when you thought the left couldn't get any weirder, Starbucks is going to close down on May 29th to train its workers on unconscious bias. Why? A couple of black guys went to Starbucks and sat at the tables, didn't buy anything, and then asked for the restroom key. They were denied, because they hadn't purchased anything. After one of the men made the refusal of the restroom key a racial matter, a barista called the police. The black guys argued with the police for 7 minutes before being arrested. In other words, it was a completely normal law enforcement operation.

However, it seems the political left thinks it's a good idea to allow loiterers to hang out at the retail joints they prefer. I'm guessing the homeless will start crowding Starbucks next. Not that it bothers me. I don't drink caffeine anymore, but when I did, I preferred Peet's.
Starbucks should be boycotted and punished for its stupidity. It baffles me how can the people that run the company be so dense as to take these accusations against them seriously. To the point where they took this unnecessarily stupid act.

I guess it shows you how far this anti-racist hysteria has come. Future generations are going to read about these times in history books bewildered.
Last edited by Albert on 19 Apr 2018 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
blackjack21 wrote:However, it seems the political left thinks it's a good idea to allow loiterers to hang out at the retail joints they prefer.

Regardless of how anyone feels about loitering, their loitering was what brought the cops, not some racial animus the Starbucks employees were harboring.
I chose ‘other’ because I have no idea what Peet’s is. Personally, I doubt the sanity of anyone who believes it makes sense to pay Starbucks prices for coffee. Have a cup of folger’s instant you big sissies.
Albert wrote:At the same time Starbucks is white libercuck establishment.

Some of their managers seem to feel that way. Coffee shops have traditionally been "meeting places" and this one was no exception. I sympathize with the cops, they were doing their job and didn't get excessive. But I think when the 3rd party to the meeting showed up and confirmed the arrangement, they should have been released and charges dropped. Some FREE coffee from the management might then have averted a national incident that will wind up costing the corporation millions.

Peet's is just as good or better than SB's ... I don't generally buy either, I prefer brands with a higher return of profit to the producers ratio. I am glad to see that Blackjack has sworn off the beans, we shouldn't do drugs we can't handle.

Zam :coffee:
Starbucks has to go with the popular opinion, which is why they are shutting down. That's how business works.

I think there was a bit of an over reaction on the starbuck side though. The manager should have just kicked them out with the "only paying customers can hangout here" excuse, rather then jumping to calling the cops.

I would argue the guys fucked up too. It's generally understood, if you're going to hang at a coffee shop, you should buy something. Even if it's the cheapest thing on the menu, fucking buy something, purely because you're using their space, which is intended for actual customers. Doesn't matter if it's a quick 5 minute meeting, you should buy something. I always do, I thought that was the common sense thing to?? :?:

I see both sides at fault here.
Rancid wrote:fucking buy something, purely because you're using their space, which is intended for actual customers. Doesn't matter if it's a quick 5 minute meeting, you should buy something. I always do, I thought that was the common sense thing to?? :?:

Yeah, it is, but in my experience, when meeting for coffee, or lunch, it's common to wait until the group is assembled to order. "waiting for someone" was specifically discussed with the management who are well aware of this typical situation. The manager escalated this beyond proportion - starbucks has admitted that.

Zam
A tall latte at Starbucks only costs $2.95, which is cheaper than a Big Mac at McDonalds. It developed into a racial matter after a store manager called the police because the men refused to “make a purchase or leave”. The men were actually waiting for a business partner to arrive without ordering anything. If they had been dressed in business suits, they could have been treated by the Starbucks manager more respectfully.

Nelson initially brushed it off when the Starbucks manager told him he couldn’t use the restroom because he wasn’t a paying customer.

He thought nothing of it when he and Robinson, his business partner, were approached at their table and were asked if they needed help. The 23-year-old entrepreneurs declined, explaining they were just waiting for a business meeting.

Nelson and Robinson originally were supposed to meet Andrew Yaffe, a white local businessman, at a Starbucks across town. But the plan changed, and they agreed to meet at the Rittenhouse Square location, where they had met several times before on a potential real estate opportunity.

The black men arrived a few minutes early. Three police officers showed up not long after.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... iladelphia
Zamuel wrote:Yeah, it is, but in my experience, when meeting for coffee, or lunch, it's common to wait until the group is assembled to order. "waiting for someone" was specifically discussed with the management who are well aware of this typical situation. The manager escalated this beyond proportion - starbucks has admitted that.

Zam

True true. I think it's fair to say Starbucks fucked up far far more than those guys did. no doubt. Personally, since I'm brown, i usually buy something even before my friends show up. i usually just spread the buying. I'll buy a pastry first. Then when my buds get here, I buy the coffee, etc. etc. People hate us brownies man. If you don't want trouble, you have to work extra hard to not appear threatening. Sad but true.

Reminds me of a video I saw on youtube. Some white lady is stopped by border patrol (near the border, but not at the border) and asked if she's a US citizen. She goes crazy and tells off the officer. "I don't have to answer that, I know my rights, etc. etc. etc." 5 minutes of this shit. When I saw the video I told my wife, if that were me, I would have complied, provided ID, whatever. Why? Because I'm brown. Had I gone off on the guy like this woman did, I would be throw to the ground and cuffed, or worse, shot. We're just automatically perceived as hostile. :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:. Yes, don't have to answer questions like that, but cops are always profiling and looking for excuses.

It's a similar situation here, I'm sure if those guys were white, this wouldn't have happened.

At the same time, maybe this kind of shit needs to happen, so white people can stop getting all weird all the time and calling the cops for every little thing. :D

Thus, i approve of starbucks shutting down. Come on whitey, get yo shit together.
As a ‘white man’ I would never act the way the woman, in Rancid’s scenario, did for the same reasons @Rancid said. I don’t doubt he feels he has more reason than I do, but no intelligent person asks for an unnecessary confrontation. The solution should be the white woman should have been arrested. There is no reason to refuse a reasonable request. If you don’t think it is reasonable, then go to your lawyer or congressman. Arguing with the police on the street is not a solution, it is a problem.
Rancid wrote:True true. I think it's fair to say Starbucks fucked up far far more than those guys did. no doubt. Personally, since I'm brown, i usually buy something even before my friends show up. i usually just spread the buying. I'll buy a pastry first. Then when my buds get here, I buy the coffee, etc. etc. People hate us brownies man. If you don't want trouble, you have to work extra hard to not appear threatening. Sad but true.

I grew up in a relatively white Midwest, but I've lived in and around Tucson Az. for the last 35 years. I am aware, even though Tucson is a relatively liberal town. Rural Southern California is the worst I've ever seen ... For their part most Mexican Americans in the South West are like you, preferring to avoid confrontation.

At the same time, maybe this kind of shit needs to happen, so white people can stop getting all weird all the time and calling the cops for every little thing.

Yeah, as I've been saying recently, progress has a price.

Zam
One Degree wrote:The solution should be the white woman should have been arrested. There is no reason to refuse a reasonable request.

Wrong ... in the first place, the request was unreasonable. Authorities reaction to her was muted because they know it. It's been documented on video many times (by white people.) The reaction to other races pulling the same (very legal) stunt has been quite different.

If you don’t think it is reasonable, then go to your lawyer or congressman. Arguing with the police on the street is not a solution, it is a problem.

No, it's a legal right. Cops are trained to ignore it, not respond to it. They're also trained not to violate your rights, even though they may lie to you about them.

Watch this video for a prime example ... U-tube is full of such videos demonstrating government acquiescence in the face of citizens asserting their rights and refusing to accept inane excuses. "Yeah but this is a immigration authority checkpoint (like laws and rights do not apply?) This is one of the shorter ones ... Authority caved in very quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o30V4Rv0_ho

Zam
Zamuel wrote:Wrong ... in the first place, the request was unreasonable. Authorities reaction to her was muted because they know it. It's been documented on video many times (by white people.) The reaction to other races pulling the same (very legal) stunt has been quite different.

No, it's a legal right. Cops are trained to ignore it, not respond to it. They're also trained not to violate your rights, even though they may lie to you about them.

Watch this video for a prime example ... U-tube is full of such videos demonstrating government acquiescence in the face of citizens asserting their rights and refusing to accept inane excuses. "Yeah but this is a immigration authority checkpoint (like laws and rights do not apply?) This is one of the shorter ones ... Authority caved in very quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o30V4Rv0_ho

Zam

I am not interested in watching YouTube, so maybe you can just tell me what they accomplished? I never said the police were right. I said you don’t provide a solution by confronting them. Whoopee. They got by without doing what a cop asked? What did they change? They created a problem. They did not bring about a solution.
Rancid wrote:People hate us brownies man. If you don't want trouble, you have to work extra hard to not appear threatening. Sad but true.

It's not hate, but implicit bias is a problem. Unfortunately certain demographics are subconsciously associated with trouble, but that's due almost entirely to the dysfunctional behavior prevalent within those demographics, not some deep rooted bigotry. I'm sure it seems like bigotry to the more functional within those demographics when they encounter it, but it's really not.
Fact is that McDonald's serves better coffee through their McCafe brand than Starbucks does in Australia.

I have never had a good Coffee from the green cunts here. In fact last time I went to Starbucks I puked... Ordered a Chai Latte without realising they use the syrup shit Instead of powder.... Fuck my stomach told me to "hate these bastards for life".....

Gloria Jean's is my favourite chain, but if I had to choose between McDs and Starbucks, McDs all the time at least here in Australia where McCafe was invented.
One Degree wrote:I am not interested in watching YouTube, so maybe you can just tell me what they accomplished?

They proved you wrong ... Little old ladies who defy illegal government use of authority cannot be "arrested" with impunity for doing so, as you suggested. This is a principle that applies in quite a variety of pertinent situations. In the Video you haven't got time to watch, 3 people are stopped at an immigration check point and asked if they are citizens. They decline to answer. When asked to pull into a detention area, they refuse (a polite no thank you) and state their desire to continue on their way. The immigration guys try and insist that setting up a checkpoint gives them some kind of right to stop people without any probable cause. It doesn't. And after threatening and intimidating these guys for about 5 minutes ... the immigration guys just let them go.

I never said the police were right. I said you don’t provide a solution by confronting them.

The guys at the Starbucks were arrested for trespassing on the basis of the managers complaint. Vagrancy and loitering laws are obsolete in this day of homeless people and shopping malls. They do not apply. I'm sure the cops told them to leave, and they refused ... Hence the arrest. In this case, confronting the police did provide a solution ... That will likely have a lasting effect (at Starbucks anyway.)

This was just a small tyranny, perpetrated by a manager with some personal issues. But confronting tyranny, no matter how small the issue, is essential to the American way of life. Police or no police, it is not wrong to do so. it is the only acceptable solution. Allowing it breeds new Nazis, and we have to many of those already.

It's not inconsequential ... it's freedom, for all of us.

Zam

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]