Was Staying In Slavery A Choice? - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Was Staying In Slavery For 400 Years A Choice On The Part Of Slaves?

1. Yes, The Slaves Chose Not To Overtake Their Overlords, Which They Had The Power To Do.
17%
2. No, The Slaves Could Not Have Chosen To Overtake Their Overlords.
57%
3. Other.
26%
One Degree wrote:I believe you gave me ample reason for that assumption. Are you now claiming racism and slavery were not bad?

Whether it is good or bad is irrelevant.

Now, are you claiming that US slavery of black people had nothing to do with racism? Yes or no?
Pants-of-dog wrote:Whether it is good or bad is irrelevant.

Now, are you claiming that US slavery of black people had nothing to do with racism? Yes or no?

Initially no. What we consider racism today mainly developed because of slavery. It was not a cause, it was a result. Since we are talking about people, my comments obviously are not true of every single person, but of the general cultural change.
Pants-of-dog wrote:So we agree that US slavery had racist attributes.

You are back to making simplistic conclusions to fit a political narrative. This simplistic view is what encourages a racial divide based upon a poor understanding of history. The fact it allows you to portray whites as simply racist is deceptive, devious, and dishonest. It serves no purpose except to elect elitist Democrats.
If you want to incorrectly assume that I am simplifying things in order for you to make personal attacks against me, go ahead. You do that often.

I have no idea why you feel so strongly about me that you have to misinterpret what I say in order to attack me, but it is irrelevant.
Pants-of-dog wrote:If you want to incorrectly assume that I am simplifying things in order for you to make personal attacks against me, go ahead. You do that often.

I have no idea why you feel so strongly about me that you have to misinterpret what I say in order to attack me, but it is irrelevant.

It is only a personal attack in that was the purpose of your argument. Whether you take my attack on your argument personally, is up to you. As we know, I am guilty of misusing ‘you’. If I was more sensitive than I am, then I would have realized I should have said your ‘argument’ was deceptive etc. I am guilty of not seeing the need of being over sensitive to the feelings of others. I figure you can handle it.
I can’t have any strong feelings about you because I have never met you. My feelings can only be about your posts no matter what my words lead you to believe.
One Degree wrote:It is only a personal attack in that was the purpose of your argument. Whether you take my attack on your argument personally, is up to you. As we know, I am guilty of misusing ‘you’. If I was more sensitive than I am, then I would have realized I should have said your ‘argument’ was deceptive etc. I am guilty of not seeing the need of being over sensitive to the feelings of others. I figure you can handle it.

I understand that you misunderstood my argumnet.

And it was this misunderstanding of yours that was the absis for your personal attack against me.

Maybe you should stop caring so much about me and think harder about arguments.

I can’t have any strong feelings about you because I have never met you. My feelings can only be about your posts no matter what my words lead you to believe.

Except you attack me and not my arguments.

This is getting boring.
Deutschmania wrote:I feel that the best chance the African-American slaves had to achieve emancipation was to choose to align themselves with a larger stronger armed force ; such as was the case with the Black Loyalists , and later the Colonial Marines , in relation to the British , and later successfully by siding with the Union during the U.S. Civil War , as Colored Troops .

The argument that the Civil War, or any war, eliminates slavery is a misconception. Slavery was eliminated by a change in human beliefs. All this requires is one person saying something and others agreeing it is a good idea.
No morally ‘right or wrong’. No destroying the ‘evil’ people by the ‘good’ people. Just people agreeing to do something different. Slavery was going to end with or without war, because people decided they should not be slaves.
I think that for the most part, staying in slavery was a choice for many slaves because for two reasons: they thought that slavery was normal, and that the religions that they believed in taught that slavery is acceptable.

Forced marriages, forced family institutions, child abuse (it wasn't viewed as child abuse at the time), and viewing women as inferiors were considered normal for many people at the time.

Slavery existed for thousands of years, from ancient Greece and Rome, to Brazil of the 1800's and Saudi Arabia in the mid 20th century. If people wanted to rebel against slavery thousands of years ago, they would of done so because three thousand or more years is more than enough time to rebel against slavery.

The reason why many people thought that slavery was normal is because that was what they were taught from the time they left their mothers' wombs. For example, if you are born a slave, your parents, grand parents, and ancestors were all slaves, and if all of your friends were slaves. And if you married a slave when you got older, everyone that you are connected to is a slave! So what is the problem? If your parents teach you that being owned is rather "being protected because your owners sacrificed the land and home that you use, and that if you run away from the owners that sacrificed what you used, it means that YOU ARE SELFISH AND YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED" then you would think that running away from your owner is shameful and selfish.

Religions also teach that slavery is acceptable. Islam claims that those who run away from their owners, their prayers 'shall' be ignored.

Technologies were very simple at the time that slavery was common. And when there is no advanced technology, it's hard to coordinate how things get produced and done. Medicines and health care was very low due to the lack of technology, so people got sick a lot and used religion to cope with that. The more advanced technology is, the more free people are from using other people. And when the industrial revolution started, slavery was useless in scientific terms.

As the masses got smarter over the centuries, people knew how to self coordinate. And if people can self coordinate, then they don't need owners to own and determine their lives and destinies.

It also depends on what definition of slavery one is using.

I personally define family, the usage of social media, and bonding with the people at your job as slavery. You have to act a certain way around your relatives, social media rules your life because everyone online knows stuff about you, and if your friends at your job don't like you in a capitalist economy, they can get you fired, so you have to get along, whether you are yourself or not, with the people at your job if you're friends with them because friends can break off, and can go against you!

People who are independent from their families emotionally, people who don't rely on revealing social media that ANYONE can see, and people who get their money and go home, DON'T stay in slavery. No one can free you but you. Slave owners didn't free their slaves. Employers in the Russian Empire didn't free their workers. And sexist husbands didn't free their wives. Slaves freed themselves. Workers freed themselves. Women freed themselves. One must be mentally free in order to be free, because ideas are more powerful than anything else. And "the worst owners are those who are kind to their slaves" is true because if you are kind to your slaves, they would never want to rebel, and they would support slavery.
skinster wrote:I cannae believe the OP question is a real one. :coffee:

I know, mass revolts throughout history amply demonstrate that it clearly is a choice. Maybe most people are so weak or stupid or naturally servile that they really don't have a choice, they just don't have it in themselves to rise up and fight, but for the strong it's definitely a choice. To say it isn't a choice diminishes the nobility and courage of all the admirable individuals throughout history that chose resistance and death to enslavement.
XogGyux wrote:Why is @One Degree always arguing about racism :lol: I smell a butthole of repressed feelings.

My last post in this thread was 16 days ago. You felt it necessary to tag me for this meaningless babble of your’s? That asshole you smell isn’t me.
XogGyux wrote:yes

Thank you for agreeing about the asshole. :) That was very big of you.
XogGyux wrote:Always happy to call you out.

mas·och·ism
/ˈmasəˌkizəm,ˈmazəˌkizəm/Submit
noun
the tendency to derive pleasure, especially sexual gratification, from one's own pain or humiliation.
One Degree wrote:mas·och·ism
/ˈmasəˌkizəm,ˈmazəˌkizəm/Submit
noun
the tendency to derive pleasure, especially sexual gratification, from one's own pain or humiliation.

big of yours to admit to your condition. first step towards recovery. :lol:

What confuses me much more is the question what t[…]

It's not just Mapuche, there are other indigenous[…]

I said most. A psych prof once said that a colleg[…]

Then prove it.