Rape Culture - Page 26 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Do you believe rape culture exist in the west?

Yes, rape culture exist in western societies
26%
No, rape culture does not exist or no longer exist in western societies
55%
Other
19%
By Godstud
One Degree wrote:You seem to believe everyone is a rapist and just needs to be educated. That is nonsense.
What is the nonsense is you suggesting such a stupid thing. Not everyone is a rapist, but many people contribute to the problem by engaging in the behaviors commonly associated with rape, including victim blaming, slut-shaming, sexual objectification, trivializing rape, denial of widespread rape, and refusing to acknowledge the harm caused by some forms of sexual violence. You're being purposefully dishonest by saying that.

One Degree wrote:They don’t give a shit about your idealism and how they should treat others.
Yes, some are irredeemable, but that isn't the majority(as is evidenced by what you just posted about repeat offenders). You just aren't clueing in, are you? Read the bold yellow text AGAIN... :O
By One Degree
Godstud wrote:What is the nonsense is you suggesting such a stupid thing. Not everyone is a rapist, but many people contribute to the problem by engaging in the behaviors commonly associated with rape, including victim blaming, slut-shaming, sexual objectification, trivializing rape, denial of widespread rape, and refusing to acknowledge the harm caused by some forms of sexual violence. You're being purposefully dishonest by saying that.

Yes, some are irredeemable, but that isn't the majority(as is evidenced by what you just posted about repeat offenders). You just aren't clueing in, are you? Read the bold yellow text AGAIN... :O

Right, you are taking behavior associated with rapists and then saying telling non rapists this is bad will prevent rape. Lol. Non rapists already know this. Your preaching serves no purpose. The people who need to hear this are not going to listen to you. Your view that criminals just need to be ‘enlightened’ is typical of people who have never associated with real criminals. Other than 37% of rapists being hardened criminals, you have family members being high as the rapists. Who are you helping with your nonsense? No one who needs to hear it is going to listen.
By Godstud
FFS, this isn't behavior exhibited just by rapists. YOU, and others, exhibit a lot of these behaviors!

63% of rapists, are not hardened criminals(the majority). Your own fucking source contradicts you.

One Degree wrote: No one who needs to hear it is going to listen.
Rapists and their apologists won't listen.
By One Degree
Godstud wrote:FFS, this isn't behavior exhibited just by rapists. YOU, and others, exhibit a lot of these behaviors!

63% of rapists, are not hardened criminals(the majority). Your own fucking source contradicts you.

Rapists and their apologists won't listen.

So now you are blaming me and other non rapists for rape? Nice of you to admit rapists won’t listen, so what is your point in making these baseless accusations against good people? Delusions of moral superiority?
You have no friggin’ point except to try to prove you are superior to some imagined other. Rapists need to go to prison. Lecturing non rapists in your idiotic imagined morality does nothing except feed your superiority complex.
By Pants-of-dog
One Degree wrote:.....Delusions of moral superiority?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hilarious. Just incredibly amusing.
By Godstud
one Degree wrote:So now you are blaming me and other non rapists for rape?
Where do you get this crap from? Your reading comprehension is shit.

one Degree wrote:Lecturing non rapists in your idiotic imagined morality does nothing except feed your superiority complex.
You really have a problem with the English language, don't you? You don't need to be a rapist to contribute to rape culture. I suppose if you actually had reading comprehension, you might know this. Since you are incapable of actually reading, and understanding simple words, I'll repeat it one last time, just in case something clicks.

Many people contribute to the problem by engaging in the behaviors commonly associated with rape, including victim blaming, slut-shaming, sexual objectification, trivializing rape, denial of widespread rape, and refusing to acknowledge the harm caused by some forms of sexual violence. You're being purposefully dishonest by saying that.

You do not need to be a rapist to contribute to the culture that encourages rape.
By Godstud
:lol: Go to your room @Albert , or I'll tell your mom that you're being a naughty boy, and she'll spank you.
By One Degree
@Godstud said...

You do not need to be a rapist to contribute to the culture that encourages rape.

So rapists are not to blame for rape? Our culture makes them do it? Same old shit. I am to blame for everyone’s crimes because I don’t accept your politically correct version of humanity? The actual criminals are just harmless victims who would change their ways if I changed my vocabulary? This nonsense only comes from people who have never been face to face with some of the animals in our society. Textbook moralists.
By Godstud
You have shit for reading comprehension. I cannot discuss a topic with someone who simply doesn't understand the English language.

@One Degree Don't talk about morality. It's something you obviously lack, as you consistently defend those who perpetuate rape culture. Indeed, you continue to give a good example of the reality of rape culture with every post you make.
By One Degree
Godstud wrote:You have shit for reading comprehension. I cannot discuss a topic with someone who simply doesn't understand the English language.

@One Degree Don't talk about morality. It's something you obviously lack, as you consistently defend those who perpetuate rape culture. Indeed, you continue to give a good example of the reality of rape culture with every post you make.

A lot of words with no meaning. I am pretty sure you are an elitist white man who has never had direct contact with the undesirables you defend. I, on the other hand, had a misspent youth where I was very familiar with our most undesirable elements. Your words have no meaning to them and it is highly unlikely they will bother being anywhere where your words are available. You are pretending you understand something you don’t. The very idea of a ‘rape culture’ shows your lack of understanding of their sociopathic tendencies.
By Kaiserschmarrn
B0ycey wrote:Then don't use it. The term has a meaning chosen by the author that created it. You and like-minded people can't dictate what it means because you have an alternative agenda. And whether you like it or not, the term is the topic of this thread.

Nonetheless I don't lie awake at night thinking about rape culture. Neither does the vast majority of people. People who can see how society is changing to become more sexualized can also see that there is a acceptance of sexual aggressive behaviour. Whether that is innuendos, touching or mind games. The figures don't lie. This no doubt creates an illusion and blurs the lines of 'what is rape?' So the feminists that have created the term you hate so much have a point. They are also in my opinion correct in their analysis. But if rape culture does indeed include advice and pre-emptive action in they way you imply (which I doubt) then I would refuse to acknowledge this aspect of it. But so what?

My feelings are not part of the poll. And neither are yours. So perhaps you should start a new thread. A thread that actually states your opinions on the nature of rape that excludes the term "Rape culture". Because until then you will always be out played on here by the definition alone.

How am I dictating what the term means when I'm referring to the definitions used by academia or other institutions? And since the term is, as you say, the topic of this thread, this is surely the best place to voice my opinion on it.

Talking about the OP article and the meaning of "rape culture" within it, here's a snippet:
A rape culture condones physical and emotional terrorism against women as the norm

Do you agree this is the case in, say, the UK?

They also recommend and link to this site's explanation of "rape culture":
shakesville wrote:[...]
Rape culture is telling girls and women to be careful about what you wear, how you wear it, how you carry yourself, where you walk, when you walk there, with whom you walk, whom you trust, what you do, where you do it, with whom you do it, what you drink, how much you drink, whether you make eye contact, if you're alone, if you're with a stranger, if you're in a group, if you're in a group of strangers, if it's dark, if the area is unfamiliar, if you're carrying something, how you carry it, what kind of shoes you're wearing in case you have to run, what kind of purse you carry, what jewelry you wear, what time it is, what street it is, what environment it is, how many people you sleep with, what kind of people you sleep with, who your friends are, to whom you give your number, who's around when the delivery guy comes, to get an apartment where you can see who's at the door before they can see you, to check before you open the door to the delivery guy, to own a dog or a dog-sound-making machine, to get a roommate, to take self-defense, to always be alert always pay attention always watch your back always be aware of your surroundings and never let your guard down for a moment lest you be sexually assaulted and if you are and didn't follow all the rules it's your fault.
[...]

Sorry to say but you are complicit in "rape culture" if you want to give women advice. I also note that you are ignoring your own advice that we cannot dictate what the term means by excluding an aspect you disagree with.

As for the numbers, considering that the surveys discussed in this thread conflate attempted and actual rape, potentially include sex under the influence, cover a period going back to the 50s, and have response rates as low as 25%, I find it difficult to have any confidence in them reflecting the current rate of actual rape. They also have this result:
NISVS wrote:Approximately 1 in 8 lesbian women (13%), nearly half of bisexual women (46%), and 1 in 6 heterosexual women (17%) have been raped in their lifetime. This translates to an estimated 214,000 lesbian women, 1.5 million bisexual women, and 19 million heterosexual women.

I hope we agree that almost 50% is just crazy.

snapdragon wrote:A man needs to be able to perform to have sex and if he was too drunk to know what was happening, then he was probably too drunk to get it up. In fact, no probably about it.

Not true for the CDC surveys mentioned in this thread. Being unable to consent doesn't require a level of drunkenness such that a person does not know what is happening.

----------------------------------------------

Also, question for the men in this thread: Do you believe you would have raped someone if you hadn't been educated that forcing a woman to have sex with you is wrong?
By Truth To Power
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:Sorry to say but you are complicit in "rape culture" if you want to give women advice.

So Dr. Phil contributes to rape culture?? What an absurd, fatuous claim.
Being unable to consent doesn't require a level of drunkenness such that a person does not know what is happening.

If you can use your credit card, you can consent to a contract. If you can consent to a contract, you can consent to sex.
Also, question for the men in this thread: Do you believe you would have raped someone if you hadn't been educated that forcing a woman to have sex with you is wrong?

No; I can't imagine the scenario being anything but deeply anti-erotic. And that's after a first girlfriend who wanted to struggle and be forced.
By Truth To Power
Godstud wrote:Many people contribute to the problem by engaging in the behaviors commonly associated with rape, including ... sexual objectification,

Garbage. Objectification is a normal part of abstraction. You are merely attempting to criminalize the normal male preference for visual stimulation.
denial of widespread rape,

So if rape is in fact NOT WIDESPREAD, then accurately identifying that fact contributes to rape culture??

What a silly, disingenuous load of horse$#!+.
and refusing to acknowledge the harm caused by some forms of sexual violence.

And I suppose only certain people get to define what constitutes "sexual violence....? Like, say, a man looking at a woman who was hoping to be looked at by a different man....?
You're being purposefully dishonest by saying that.

As they say in Japan, "It's mirror time!"

But you do need actually to contribute to a culture that actually encourages rape, and not just engage in healthy male behaviors that the "toxic masculinity" brigade wants to criminalize.
By Godstud
@Truth To Power, you are not even trying to engage in a rational manner, but simply trolling. Please toss off somewhere else.

Every one of your responses is simply emotional clap-trap meant to make out yourself as some sort of victim, when you're not. Pretty typical of the right wing white male, apparently...
By Kaiserschmarrn
It's quite amusing to see people like @Godstud denouncing sexual objectification as part of rape culture. It seems to me a bit of introspection wouldn't go amiss here.

-----------------------------------------

By the logic of some people in this thread, tolerance and acceptance of BDSM practices and lifestyle means promoting rape culture.
By Godstud
@Kaiserschmarrn Trying to make personal assumptions about me is ignorant, and I thought, too low for you... I guess I was wrong. You can make all the baseless assumptions you want, and even make the typical personal attacks that right-wingers make, but that doesn't make your argument worth a rat's ass.

Kaiserschmarnn wrote: tolerance and acceptance of BDSM practices and lifestyle means promoting rape culture.
We can't police what people do in their bedrooms, can we? We're talking about reasonable and logical practices, not stupidity. Troll harder.
By Kaiserschmarrn
Godstud wrote:@Kaiserschmarrn Trying to make personal assumptions about me is ignorant, and I thought, too low for you... I guess I was wrong. You can make all the baseless assumptions you want, and even make the typical personal attacks that right-wingers make, but that doesn't make your argument worth a rat's ass.

It's not an assumption. You have "sexually objectified" women on this board so many times I lost count. You do realise that posting pictures of scantily clad females and comments about their hotness and how you wouldn't turn them away comes under the term sexual objectification?

Godstud wrote:We can't police what people do in their bedrooms, can we? We're talking about reasonable and logical practices, not stupidity. Troll harder.

Non sequitur. I said if you advocate for tolerance of these practices, you are promoting "rape culture" by your own logic.

Edit: As an example, are you OK with public events like the Folsom Street Fare?

Woman whipped on St Andrew's cross.
By Godstud
You're obviously fine with showing it, so maybe the pot shouldn't call the kettle black. :knife:

Note: I've never posted "scantily clad" women.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]