Rape Culture - Page 28 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Do you believe rape culture exist in the west?

Yes, rape culture exist in western societies
26%
No, rape culture does not exist or no longer exist in western societies
55%
Other
19%
By AFAIK
One Degree already posted a source supporting my claim.

120 x 1 = 120
190 x 2 = 380
x 3 = 570
x 4 = 760
120 x 5 = 600
x 6 = 720
x 7 = 840
x 8 = 960
x 9 = 1080
80 x 10 = 800 or more

These are for convicts and it's easier for police to catch repeat offenders rather than virgins because they keep DNA, fingerprints and photos of convicts on file but the pattern illustrates my point.

Edit- I just read the title of the graph. In turns out most alleged rapists are repeat offenders.

Edit 2- 510 repeat offenders, 490 virgins
By B0ycey
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:How am I dictating what the term means when I'm referring to the definitions used by academia or other institutions? And since the term is, as you say, the topic of this thread, this is surely the best place to voice my opinion on it.

It seems silly to be arguing semantics, but the term has a meaning that the author dictates, not 'we' the second party. You can argue whether the term is factual or not, or whether the term should be used. But you cannot dictate its meaning.

Talking about the OP article and the meaning of "rape culture" within it, here's a snippet:

Do you agree this is the case in, say, the UK?

It is a snippet. And seems metaphoric to me. But yes, I would agree with it to some extent. There is a lot of mental pressure put on people having sex when they maybe don't want it. And you could indeed call that 'mental terrorism' as it could involve intimidation or agressive linguistics.

Sorry to say but you are complicit in "rape culture" if you want to give women advice. I also note that you are ignoring your own advice that we cannot dictate what the term means by excluding an aspect you disagree with.

I don't think you are complicit to rape culture if you do give advice actually. I think you misinterpreted that sentence from confusing the terms telling from advising. But let's say you are correct and I am indeed part of 'rape culture', all that proves is that rape culture exists.

As for rape culture, I am going to repeat what I have already said. Regardless of who coined the phase, they have a point and is indeed what is occuring in todays society. But I don't use this phase outside this thread. I also think it is counter effective due to the emotions the term 'rape' brings to it. The phases doesn't mean that everyone is going around raping, just setting the conditions for rape and the acceptance of it along with under valuing the victims claims they were raped. So like I said, if you and like-minded people don't like the phase don't use it. But unfortunately that is the topic of this thread and the question in the poll. So unless you begin a new thread on rape, on here to have to deal with the term 'rape culture' and the meaning that it is associated with.
By One Degree
Bullshit. We are saying the phrase ‘rape culture’ is a deliberate attempt to channel any discussion one way. You are simply artificially legitimizing your view through a propaganda slogan. Liberals sloganeering allows them to gain support from those who don’t wish to actually think about issues. Cheap propaganda technique.
Everyone seems to have forgotten rape is not mainly about sex. Only your distorted definition of rape allows you to use sex as an argument for ‘rape culture’. Rape is a crime of violence. Quit minimizing it.
By Sivad
One Degree wrote:Bullshit. We are saying the phrase ‘rape culture’ is a deliberate attempt to channel any discussion one way. You are simply artificially legitimizing your view through a propaganda slogan.

By B0ycey
One Degree wrote:Bullshit. We are saying the phrase ‘rape culture’ is a deliberate attempt to channel any discussion one way. You are simply artificially legitimizing your view through a propaganda slogan. Liberals sloganeering allows them to gain support from those who don’t wish to actually think about issues. Cheap propaganda technique.
Everyone seems to have forgotten rape is not mainly about sex. Only your distorted definition of rape allows you to use sex as an argument for ‘rape culture’. Rape is a crime of violence. Quit minimizing it.

I have given up having a meanful debate with you One Degree long ago due to your lack of reading and understanding skills. Please cite my propaganda slogan.

As for the term rape culture, you and everyone on here is using the term. If you don't like what it stands for don't bloody use it. All you do is confirm its meaning by constantly under valuing what should be constituted as rape. I have already published its definition. You don't dictate its definition due to your feelings. Get a grip and learn to read.
By Hong Wu
The real rape culture is a student gets their head filled with sexualized propaganda, fucks their professor, then realizes decades later that their education is useless and they wasted their life.
By One Degree
B0ycey wrote:I have given up having a meanful debate with you One Degree long ago due to your lack of reading and understanding skills. Please cite my propaganda slogan.

As for the term rape culture, you and everyone on here is using the term. If you don't like what it stands for don't bloody use it. All you do is confirm its meaning by constantly under valuing what should be constituted as rape. I have already published its definition. You don't dictate its definition due to your feelings. Get a grip and learn to read.

Lol. ‘Rape culture’ is the slogan. you published the definition so I don’t get to challenge it? How conveniently idiotic.
By B0ycey
One Degree wrote:Lol. ‘Rape culture’ is the slogan. you published the definition so I don’t get to challenge it? How conveniently idiotic.

Albert published the slogan via his thread, Godstud published the definition.

So who is conveniently idiotic?
By One Degree
B0ycey wrote:Albert published the slogan via his thread, Godstud published the definition.

So who is conveniently idiotic?

Wellllll; since you think Albert invented the slogan and Godstud invented the definition........
By B0ycey
One Degree wrote:Wellllll; since you think Albert invented the slogan and Godstud invented the definition........

How you have got confused between the words "published" and "invented" is beyond me. But reading isn't your strong point so I forgive.
By Kaiserschmarrn
B0ycey wrote:It seems silly to be arguing semantics, but the term has a meaning that the author dictates, not 'we' the second party. You can argue whether the term is factual or not, or whether the term should be used. But you cannot dictate its meaning.

I don't understand where you get the idea from that I want or have tried to dictate the meaning. Could you explain or show me where I've done this? What I've intended to do - and I think I've done - is criticise the term's definition, not least because it encompasses a seemingly ever increasing set of behaviours, opinions and attitudes. You can easily see this by going to the blog the OP article regards as "an excellent definition of rape culture" and which I linked earlier. Among other things, it claims that treating heterosexuality as the norm or using the word rape in a different context is rape culture. Furthermore, I have indeed put forward the idea that we should reject the term and not use it at all.

B0ycey wrote:It is a snippet. And seems metaphoric to me. But yes, I would agree with it to some extent. There is a lot of mental pressure put on people having sex when they maybe don't want it. And you could indeed call that 'mental terrorism' as it could involve intimidation or agressive linguistics.

I'm temped to call this response "mental terrorism". :lol:

You keep doing exactly what you say we shouldn't do: note that the article uses the phrase "physical and emotional terrorism" which you change to mean "mental terrorism" which you use to describe mental pressure to have sex. Not only are you dropping the "physical" entirely, but nothing in the OP's article suggests your interpretation of the phrase as a major area of concern of "rape culture" proponents. In fact, breaking taboos, and especially sexual taboos, is part and parcel of being progressive. Phrases such as being sexually repressed and being prudish have been used for decades by progressives to criticise and ridicule people.

B0ycey wrote:I don't think you are complicit to rape culture if you do give advice actually. I think you misinterpreted that sentence from confusing the terms telling from advising. But let's say you are correct and I am indeed part of 'rape culture', all that proves is that rape culture exists.

If I say to a women don't go home alone after a party, am I advising her or telling her? Honestly, you are either making this more complicated than necessary or trying to be too charitable. The central point is that putting the onus on the potential victim in any way is "victim blaming" and part of "rape culture".

B0ycey wrote:As for rape culture, I am going to repeat what I have already said. Regardless of who coined the phase, they have a point and is indeed what is occuring in todays society. But I don't use this phase outside this thread. I also think it is counter effective due to the emotions the term 'rape' brings to it. The phases doesn't mean that everyone is going around raping, just setting the conditions for rape and the acceptance of it along with under valuing the victims claims they were raped. So like I said, if you and like-minded people don't like the phase don't use it. But unfortunately that is the topic of this thread and the question in the poll. So unless you begin a new thread on rape, on here to have to deal with the term 'rape culture' and the meaning that it is associated with.

Please see above regarding your odd idea that I don't deal with the term as defined. Again, it seems to me that's what you have been doing.
By Albert
I just do not understand people like BOycey, how can they just not get it? It is almost as if they can not not look at anything without their mainstream indoctrination view. How is this possible? Is he gay?
By Godstud
How can people like you, @Albert stay so blissfully ignorant, and then name-call people when they don't agree with your uneducated and narrow-minded opinions?

You're the victim of indoctrination, as evidenced by you opposing the concept of rape culture.
By Albert
Godstud wrote:How can people like you, @Albert stay so blissfully ignorant, and then name-call people when they don't agree with your uneducated and narrow-minded opinions?

You're the victim of indoctrination, as evidenced by you opposing the concept of rape culture.
I'm sorry that you felt offended Godstud.

:violin:
By Godstud
There's your touchy-feely emotions at work again. Appeal to emotion, right? That's now your only argument. Why would I be offended at ignorance and stupidity? I pity you people for your inability to acknowledge reality.
By Zamuel
Godstud wrote:How can people like you, stay so blissfully ignorant, and then name-call people when they don't agree with your uneducated and narrow-minded opinions?

Saeko made him do it ?

Zam ;)
By Sivad
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:What I've intended to do - and I think I've done - is criticise the term's definition, not least because it encompasses a seemingly ever increasing set of behaviours, opinions and attitudes.

The fact that they have to widen the definition to include minor problems/offenses tells me that actual rape culture is nowhere near as pervasive as they would have us believe. And some of the issues, like enforcing healthy, reasonable sexual mores with social sanction(slut-shaming), aren't necessarily improper.
By Pants-of-dog
I see we have arrived at the point in the thread where we imply that feminists (or perhaps anyone who agrees that “rape culture” is a thing) have a secret agenda where “they” are trying to make sexual assault seem more pervasive than it is. Why do “they” do this? No one knows, but it is almost certainly nefarious.

Getting back to the actual topic:

So, when we tell women they should dress a certain way or do certain things in order to not get raped, we are implying that they are (at least partly) responsible for their sexual assault.

Obviously, not all women will think that they are responsible for their sexual assault. But it will be more prevalent the younger and more inexperienced the woman is. Teenagers would be quite susceptible.

And teenagers also slut shame. So, in order to avoid having the whole high school calling them a slut, many teenage girls will not report their own sexual assault. They feel that they will be socially punished for allowing the sexual assault. Which then means that the boys who are sexually assaulting girls are more likely to get away with it.

And this is how slut shaming can increase sexual assault.

More info here:
https://gendersociety.wordpress.com/201 ... -violence/
https://newrepublic.com/article/117381/ ... lence-okay
By Albert
Pants-of-dog wrote:I see we have arrived at the point in the thread where we imply that feminists (or perhaps anyone who agrees that “rape culture” is a thing) have a secret agenda where “they” are trying to make sexual assault seem more pervasive than it is. Why do “they” do this? No one knows, but it is almost certainly nefarious.
Now you are beginning to get it Pants, perhaps there is hope even for you.
By Sivad
Pants-of-dog wrote:I see we have arrived at the point in the thread where we imply that feminists (or perhaps anyone who agrees that “rape culture” is a thing) have a secret agenda where “they” are trying to make sexual assault seem more pervasive than it is. Why do “they” do this? No one knows, but it is almost certainly nefarious.

We all know exactly why they do it, demonizing men is a means of overturning the "patriarchy". It rallies the disaffected and disgruntled to their cause and weakens their perceived enemy. It's no mystery.

Doesn't he have billions in Truth social (you pos[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]

Based on what? On simple economics. and in t[…]