Did Russia interfere with the 2016 election? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Did Russia interfere with the 2016 election?

Yes, Russia rigged the election in Trump's favor
37%
No, Donald Trump won on his own
41%
Other
22%
Missus V. Spolia. wrote:If we weren't taken seriously then why is every country's news obsessed with our scandals?

People can laugh all they want, but no one is ignoring the greatest power in the world.

Thats just a lie.

I just perused the news at the CBC website. Only one out of the first 16 stoires was about Trump.

But if you cannot understand why I am laughing at the US for electing him, that is cool.
I understand your an irrational lefty who is covering being triggered with feigned amusement, but cherry-picking a news feed is hardly an case.

Look at the riots in London, everybody cares about us, we are the supreme power in the world. Are you really going to deny this?
Missus V. Spolia. wrote:I understand your an irrational lefty who is covering being triggered with feigned amusement, but cherry-picking a news feed is hardly an case.

Look at the riots in London, everybody cares about us, we are the supreme power in the world. Are you really going to deny this?

Yes, I am going to deny that everyone cares about Trump.

I just pointed out that I find him a dumb joke. Therefore, not everyone cares about Trump because that would include me and I do not care.

I honestly find it amusing that the US would elect an untrained buffoon, but not surprising.
Americans believe anyone can become the President, not just elites.

That should not be surprising, its that attitude that has made us the best and why Trump will win again in 2020.
Missus V. Spolia. wrote:Americans believe anyone can become the President, not just elites.

That should not be surprising, its that attitude that has made us the best and why Trump will win again in 2020.

So we agree that not everyone cares about the turmeric tyrant.

Now, are you arguing that Trump was a common man who bravely fought against the moneyed elites to become POTUS? Because if so, I am now laughing at the counterfactual nature of such a belief.
Pants-of-dog wrote:So we agree that not everyone cares about the turmeric tyrant.

Now, are you arguing that Trump was a common man who bravely fought against the moneyed elites to become POTUS? Because if so, I am now laughing at the counterfactual nature of such a belief.

Yes, he is considered a commoner by political elite standards. He was running against a second Clinton for god’s sake. Liberals love elites to lead them toward equality. :)
Pants-of-dog wrote:If you two think he was a commoner, then you are uncritically accepting populist propaganda.

His own party did not want him to win. He was absolutely considered a commoner by both parties and the media. Have you forgotten what a surprise his victory was? Only the ‘political elite’ are suppose to win as they usually do. His followers were labeled ‘deplorables’. Sounds like something an elite would say about a commoner.
blackjack21 wrote:His last name isn't Bush or Clinton, Pants-of-dog. That's the big accomplishment this time around.

But he's still part of the same NYC elite as the Clintons are and still doesn't have anything to do with people living around chickens.
One Degree wrote:His own party did not want him to win. He was absolutely considered a commoner by both parties and the media. Have you forgotten what a surprise his victory was? Only the ‘political elite’ are suppose to win as they usually do. His followers were labeled ‘deplorables’. Sounds like something an elite would say about a commoner.

1. Many Republicans did want him to win.
2. The fact that some Republicans did not want him to win foes not mean that he is a commoner.
3. His victory was not a surprise to me. Nor does a surprise victory mena he was a commoner.
4. Are you confusing “elite” with “established career politicians”? By this logic, rich lobbyists who pull the strings are also commoners.
5. The deplorables comment was about Trump’s racist and sexist supporters, not about him.
Pants-of-dog wrote:1. Many Republicans did want him to win.
2. The fact that some Republicans did not want him to win foes not mean that he is a commoner.
3. His victory was not a surprise to me. Nor does a surprise victory mena he was a commoner.
4. Are you confusing “elite” with “established career politicians”? By this logic, rich lobbyists who pull the strings are also commoners.
5. The deplorables comment was about Trump’s racist and sexist supporters, not about him.

Nice to see you posting again. Trump is a populist. How do you explain a populist not being a commoner? I am not confusing ‘elite’ with ‘established career politicians’. They are political elites.
One Degree wrote:Nice to see you posting again. Trump is a populist. How do you explain a populist not being a commoner? I am not confusing ‘elite’ with ‘established career politicians’. They are political elites.

I see you have not refuted any of my points. Cool.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I see you have not refuted any of my points. Cool.

Only 1 of the 5 was an actual point, and I responded to it. #5 I ignored because it is ridiculous to believe Hillary’s characterization of his supporters was not intended as a characterization of Trump.
One Degree wrote:Only 1 of the 5 was an actual point, and I responded to it. #5 I ignored because it is ridiculous to believe Hillary’s characterization of his supporters was not intended as a characterization of Trump.

Please explain how anything you said refuted anything I said.
Beren wrote:But he's still part of the same NYC elite as the Clintons are and still doesn't have anything to do with people living around chickens.

Those of you who are anti-rich are not going to understand, because you understand elite that way. You do not seem to see that it is a neoliberal/neoconservative cabal, and Trump does not tow their line. It doesn't mean he doesn't agree with some of what they say some of the time. It does mean that they are not directly controlling the POTUS at this time, and they are freaking out as a consequence.

Pants-of-dog wrote:5. The deplorables comment was about Trump’s racist and sexist supporters, not about him.

Yes, and many of them would have voted for Hillary Clinton, because they believe the Democratic party is for the sort of salt-of-the-Earth working class type of people. Hillary Clinton reminded these voters that the Democrats did not have the voters' interests at heart. Clinton signaling that she was going to cost a lot of miners their jobs, followed by calling them "deplorable" was enough to turn a few hundred thousand votes and torpedo her chances. All the email leaks did was confirm that she says one thing to Wall Street and another thing to voters--not exactly a surprise.
So all you say is that Trump is not a neoliberal/neoconservative. Fine, @blackjack21, but I still don't understand how Trump, a billionaire allegedly who was born into the NYC elite and belongs among them even more than the Clintons do, has anything to do with the common man just because he has a populist rhetoric and prefers McDonald's even aboard Air Force One.
Beren wrote:Fine, @blackjack21, but I still don't understand how Trump, a billionaire allegedly who was born into the NYC elite and belongs among them even more than the Clintons do, has anything to do with the common man just because he has a populist rhetoric and prefers McDonald's even aboard Air Force One.

You probably don't understand the culture war in the United States. People on the political left consider themselves elite and pour derision upon essentially everyone else. They are disliked by many Americans now, and consequently people will vote for people who they think are more like them. Hillary Clinton did not fit that bill. Trump sounded like a middle class guy from Queens with "toxic masculinity," to take a term from the so-called elites who hate alpha males.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

That is a great question with a complicated answe[…]

I'm not American. Politics is power relations be[…]

@FiveofSwords If you want to dump some random […]

…. I don't know who in their right mind would be[…]