Should Women Be Allowed To Have Babies At Home? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

should home-births be legal?

1. Yes, home-births should be legal for women.
74%
2. No, home-births should not be legal for women.
13%
3. Other.
13%
One Degree wrote:No, it is too much stress on your husband. My wife kept insisting on it because she had 5 easy deliveries.

I prefer it because I can go fix myself a sandwich while she is doing her squats or whatever.

B0ycey wrote:Are home births not legal in the US?

Its complicated, they are just now becoming a thing and since most hospitals and insurance are private, it depends on the healthcare provider as to whether they would cover it, some hospitals despise midwifery and view it as unsafe and refuse to even cooperate with midwives on ultrasounds etc.

That is a concern with following a healthcare model like the UK, given the attitude of some hospitals/doctors here, we worry that a state-run healthcare system would simply make midwifery illegal altogether.

I pay cash for our midwife. $350/mo during the pregnancy and that covers everything.

Any ultrasounds are extra $.

I think the last ultrasound we did I paid out of pocket and it was $150.00 at a local hospital.

This is cheaper than paying for regular medical insurance or what a hospital bill would be.

This might be the reason WHY some want it illegal.
How did humanity survive before hospitals?

People usually prefer hospitals because it is assumed they are the best place to be if there are complications. Depends on the complication I suppose. But apparently home births are good and perhaps better as the Mother is in a comfortable stress free environment (with an extra midwife in the UK) - or so I have read. Naturally I believe something such as this should be for the parents to decide. So I think we share the same opinion on this one VS.
B0ycey wrote:How did humanity survive before hospitals?

Now you're thinking like an Ancap. ;)

B0ycey wrote: So I think we share the same opinion on this one VS.

*pinches self on arm just to be sure that he is still alive/awake*
B0ycey wrote:How did humanity survive before hospitals?

People usually prefer hospitals because it is assumed they are the best place to be if there are complications. Depends on the complication I suppose. But apparently home births are good and perhaps better as the Mother is in a comfortable stress free environment (with an extra midwife in the UK) - or so I have read. Naturally I believe something such as this should be for the parents to decide. So I think we share the same opinion on this one VS.

- They are not the best places to birth. Hospitals are FULL of disease. There's nothing but sick people in the hospital. Why would you want to have your kid there?
- Hospitals are quick to pull the trigger on interventions (drugs), because it's a money making machine. The hospital is in the interest of money, not mothers and babies.
- Hospitals are quick to jump to c-sections because we use surgeons (OBGYN) to birth babies rather than midwives.

Anyway, there are a lot of documentaries on how shitty it is to have a child at a hospital. If I recall, there was a popular one called "The business of being born." It's very eye opening.
Also, you don't have to do a home birth to get the benefits of not birthing at a hospital.

My son (first born) was born at a birthing center. This is just a place that is run by midwives. Since he was our first, we weren't ready to pull the trigger on a full on home birth. However, since we got our sealegs after the first kid, we did the second kid at home.

I think birthing centers are a great middle ground between a hospital birth, and a home birth.
Rancid wrote:I'm starting to get rabid about this!

ANYONE THAT VOTES NO SHOULD BE TARRED AND FEATHERED!!

I voted ‘no’, but I am not agreeing to the ‘tar and feathering’ until you tell me how much you charge.
Missus V. Spolia. wrote:Should women be able to have midwives at home for delivering babies? Let me know what you think.

Yes, they should if they feel more comfortable that way, as many women do...and do.

My friend's wife had all her children at home and they loved it.

I didn't know this wasn't popular in the US. Surprising, considering the cost of childbirth in the US.
Yes.
If they have a licensed mid-wife, then I see no reason why not. The only problem might come with complications, but then that's a chance the mother-to-be is risking.
Godstud wrote:Yes.
If they have a licensed mid-wife, then I see no reason why not. The only problem might come with complications, but then that's a chance the mother-to-be is risking.

Most emergencies aren't so bad that a ride to the hospital makes things worse.

skinster wrote:I didn't know this wasn't popular in the US. Surprising, considering the cost of childbirth in the US.

The good news is, this is changing. I also always make a point to tell people that my kids were not born in a hospital when the subject comes up.
So long as there isn’t any complications then why not.

I find it super interesting that home birthing is overtly promoted in the UK. Wouldn’t have expected that.
Then again, wouldn’t have expected an obstetrician to decapitate a baby - and that happened in a hospital.
My maternal grandmother was a midwife. I approve of home births. It is more comfortable at home. And at the hospital nursery, a dumb nurse could mess up the tags and babies could go to the wrong family.

Hospitals also rush the woman out of the bed after 2 or 3 days, which isn't easy on the mother. At least at home, the mother doesn't have to move unless she must leave the home due to an emergency or home disaster.
I should not speak for women but I think most felt forced to stay rather than forced to get up. You used to be required to stay about 3 days until blood tests came back from the state. If you want to stay in bed longer than 3 days then you have some health issues or depression.

@FiveofSwords On e again, you fail to provide […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

…. the left puts on the gas pedal and the right […]

@QatzelOk DeSantis got rid of a book showing chi[…]