Who Do You WANT To Be The Next Global Super Power? - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Who Do You WANT To Be The Next Global Super Power?

1. USA
33%
2. CHINA
6%
3. EU
3%
4. COMMONWEALTH REALMS
6%
5. RUSSIA
3%
6. INDIA
No votes
0%
7. JAPAN-KOREA-ASIAN-TIGERS UNION
8%
8. ARAB UNION/ISLAMIC CALIPHATE
3%
9. LATIN AMERICA
No votes
0%
10. AFRICA
No votes
0%
11. MULTI-POLAR
19%
12. OTHER (ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE ETC.)
19%
Beren wrote:They're still the most likely future global hegemon. It's either that or multipolarity.

They would be a hegemon that literally no one would like and one that is massively backward in terms of political norms like democracy and civil rights. The more powerful they get the more serious enemies they will get too, so much so they will end up creating an opposing hegemony that includes the whole goddamn planet. Say what you like about the Americans but they are likeable at least.
SolarCross wrote:They would be a hegemon that literally no one would like and one that is massively backward in terms of political norms like democracy and civil rights. The more powerful they get the more serious enemies they will get too, so much so they will end up creating an opposing hegemony that includes the whole goddamn planet. Say what you like about the Americans but they are likeable at least.

Although this poll is supposed to be a wish fest, China and multipolarity are the two realistic options, and I voted multipolarity. However, it will be decided whether which one it will be in this century and the American performance has been very-very poor so far. :hmm:
The four big players are the USA, China, the EU and India. A new empire or coalition of smaller states could emerge. But those are the four that are already united.

Of those four, Europe, India and China have problems with rivals in their immediate neighbourhood. The US is isolated and also has good river based internal communications and a large agricultural region. So I’d say it is easier for the US to come out on top. Only by kicking own goals for decades can they fail to do so.

But this poll is about which would be preferred. Surely none of them. No one likes being dominated by a superior power, regardless of how nice or likeable they are. Of course, not having a hegemon means all the smaller powers and non state actors fight incessantly.

What can I say? Humans are monkeys.
Beren wrote:Although this poll is supposed to be a wish fest, China and multipolarity are the two realistic options, and I voted multipolarity. However, it will be decided whether which one it will be in this century and the American performance has been very-very poor so far. :hmm:

In some ways yes. They have spent the last 50 years feeding cash to China at the expense of their own industrial base in the hope that one day China will be nice like everyone else. That kind of failed. There is still plenty of time for the US to walk back from that failed policy. It was worth a try but it is past due for a major reform. Tarrifs are a start but we should go further.
SolarCross wrote:In some ways yes. They have spent the last 50 years feeding cash to China at the expense of their own industrial base in the hope that one day China will be nice like everyone else. That kind of failed. There is still plenty of time for the US to walk back from that failed policy. It was worth a try but it is past due for a major reform. Tarrifs are a start but we should go further.

I wouldn't blame them for results deriving from the inherent nature of the global capitalist order, I'd rather blame them for the Iraq War, for example. Trump's trade war with China is counterproductive in the sense that it makes China even more eager to explore and conquer even more markets all around the world to compensate themselves for their losses in their trade with the US, so the trade war only makes China even more determined and assertive on the international stage.
Better question is if any Democratic society wants to be a superpower. Not forced to be, not has to be but wants to be. The answer to this is no democratic society wants to be a superpower because it is a waste of fucking money and resources. Being a superpower is an extremely costly affair. The reason that democratic countries are somtimes superpowers is because we fear what can happen otherwise and have to protect ourselves of sorts.
Zionist Nationalist wrote:India is western friendly and anti China

Yes, it is and I am in favour of good relations with India.

However, India is far away from us in the West, it is an Asian country and contacts can only go so far due to geographic distances

I am in favour of good relations with China as well, however, it is also far away.

SolarCross wrote:Why do some people say the US is in decline? I am just curious what the reasoning is, do not get mad at me for asking.

It has massive cultural problems. It is becoming decadent and silly. It's not an example for us to follow anymore.

Beren wrote:They're still the most likely future global hegemon. It's either that or multipolarity.

They're too far away. I would not want Chinese bases in Europe, that would be a type of imperialism. At least Russia is a European power, it's not an outside force like the USA or China.
I say the entire Third World unaligned nations unite and punish all the ex empires denying them cheap labor, materials, resources and make them pay I say....let them become deprived of fun and games. Lol.

I say the unaligned nations unite and all working people become rulers of the world. No more elitist conceited assholes.

Lol.

A speech (unaligned nations speech):

Determine your own path without being imperialists. Respect others rights and respect your own nation too. Don't impose. Don't take what doesn't belong to you. Stop the damn need to keep profiting over other people's lands because you are never satisfied with your damn profit margins. Stop being greedy freaks. The message. ;)
Despite all the anti-americanism being shoveled around this site the US is leading this poll by a significant margin. That is not as interesting as the votes or lack thereof of votes for the EU and Latin America. I am rather puzzled that the EU and Latin America did not get any votes?! I thought we had some europhiles here? and I would have thought at least a couple of Bolivarians? Apparently even China gets more votes. :x
@SolarCross

You are confused because your poll is based around old fashioned ideas about race and culture.

In reality, power politics at the international level is about shared interests and agendas. While I understand why you assume racist things like “all Latinos want the same thing” , that is not how reality works.

For example, Saudi Arabia wants the US to be on top, despite its cultural similarities to Iran.
Pants-of-dog wrote:@SolarCross

You are confused because your poll is based around old fashioned ideas about race and culture.

In reality, power politics at the international level is about shared interests and agendas. While I understand why you assume racist things like “all Latinos want the same thing” , that is not how reality works.

For example, Saudi Arabia wants the US to be on top, despite its cultural similarities to Iran.

I think you are confused about what I think. I understand that religion (including political religions like communism) can trump more normal and natural affinities like kinship and culture when it comes to allegiences so I actually would expect you to vote for Communist China over your regional countrymen but I would have thought you are not the only latin on this site? Moreover I did not expect you to be quite so fanatic to your ideology to be completely incapable of spending at least a little time weighing it up.
SolarCross wrote:I think you are confused about what I think. I understand that religion (including political religions like communism) can trump more normal and natural affinities like kinship and culture when it comes to allegiences so I actually would expect you to vote for Communist China over your regional countrymen but I would have thought you are not the only latin on this site?

This is a run on sentence. Tidy it up.

Moreover I did not expect you to be quite so fanatic to your ideology to be completely incapable of spending at least a little time weighing it up.

I did weigh it up, which is how I figured out that your poll is based on unrealistic premises.
B0ycey wrote:To keep you happy @SolarCross, I voted EU. But in reality there will not be a global superpower in the future and America is on the fast track of losing their hemogony. There be four equal hemogonous powers.

You see this is why you and I need to debate more B0ycey. I like this flat stuff that British posters put out there. Such matter of fact statements like these....

Can I interest you in an authentic Pina Colada?

Big kiss for you B0ycey.

Violating FARA is a felony punishable by up to fi[…]

Election 2020

I believe Trump has read the writing on the wall […]

@wat0n 1. From what I can tell, Chicago and To[…]

...Given that increases of the money supply of d[…]