Spider-Man wrote:But I don't believe any race is superior
In the OP you tried to justify the colonial conquest of allegedly primitive people “living in mud huts” by the bequest of the benefits of Western civilisation such as “credit cards and Internet.” To justify the annihilation of a civilisation because it is allegedly more primitive does imply a belief in your own superiority. You claim that this is not racist because you believe that your superiority corresponds to the facts, ie. that credit cards are superior to mud huts.
There are a number of issues with this:
- The people killed during the conquest didn’t benefit. 90% or more of some American tribes were killed during the conquest.
- Having lost their ancestral land, the descendants of the survivors are reduced to second class citizens in their own country.
- The pillaging by white colonials led to poverty, enslavement and the disruption of local economies.
- Before colonization India’s GDP represented 24.4% of the global economy. By the time the British left it was down to 4.2%.
- Even if they didn’t have credit cards, there were more developed cultures with better means of payment than Europeans before the colonial conquest.
- Western development came at the expense of impoverishing the colonies.
- Even today, Western domination disrupts local economies.
- Is a civilisation with an unsustainable development that leads to the destruction of our natural habitat and the climate really superior to civilisations that were sustainable for millennia?
These are just a few of the elements that put into question your claim to superiority.
And why do you insist so much on the alleged superiority of your culture? You didn’t invent the Internet anymore than the African living in a mud hut. For better or for worse, you both inherited the same development, some of it Western and some of it not.
@blackjack21, don’t play silly; the rivalry between Brits and French has nothing to do with racial discrimination. If people living in mud huts are characterized as inferior, it needs to be pointed out by juxtaposition that this is an ethnocentric view and not an objective fact.