Minneapolis City Council Members Vote to Dismantle/Defund Its Police Department - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Is it a good idea to defund, dismantle and abolish police departments?

Absolutely! Police are meant as a form of social control rather than a means of law, order and justice. Might as well take the savings and use it for more effective alternatives to public safety.
41%
No, police departments do not need to be dismantled or abolished but some reforms of the police are needed. It would be dangerous to defund the police and cause more lawlessness in society.
44%
The police departments don't need any reform at all as its stands, the police are doing a fine job and don't need to be abolished at all. People are being hysterical and over-reacting.
11%
Other (Explain).
4%
More proof every day that the leftist are in reality just useful idiots. This is the real story. They don't want you protected by the police, themselves "the King Makers" well that is a different story.

Minneapolis City Council members get private security detail after reported threats

Three members of the Minneapolis City Council have reportedly been provided with a private security detail after receiving threats for supporting proposals to defund the city's police department in the wake of George Floyd's death.

The city is currently spending $4,500 per day on security for council members Andrea Jenkins, Phillips Cunningham and Alondra Cano, Fox 9 reported on Friday.

A spokesperson for the city told the outlet that the private security has cost roughly $63,000 over the past three weeks.

The security comes after the three of the council members have reportedly faced threats due to their support for defunding the Minneapolis Police Department.

Cunningham told the outlet that the security is temporary, but declined to elaborate on security measures.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... tail-after
@Hindsite In Seattle, Washington the protesters are not victims. The hippie Mayor...

Yes. You know, the hippy mayor who started her career as a tough prosecutor. The same one who was appointed the US Attorney prosecuting at the federal level.

The ignorance of the right is sometimes astonishing.

Then we have Finfinder posting a story that shows that the police in Minneapolis are so out of control and in open rebellion that they can't even be trusted to provide security for elected officials. It is time to disband that group altogether and start over.
Yes. You know, the hippy mayor who started her career as a tough prosecutor. The same one who was appointed the US Attorney prosecuting at the federal level.

The ignorance of the right is sometimes astonishing.

Then we have Finfinder posting a story that shows that the police in Minneapolis are so out of control and in open rebellion that they can't even be trusted to provide security for elected officials. It is time to disband that group altogether and start over.

No my story shows the leftist are just useful idiots. The King Makers they worship and vote in power want to defund the police and not protect their citizens yet they spend tax payer money to protect themselves from "supposed" (fake) threats. It's an absolute joke. Yet we have come to realize the leftists are not that bright just useful lemmings to their political masters.
Finfinder wrote:No my story shows the leftist are just useful idiots. The King Makers they worship and vote in power want to defund the police and not protect their citizens yet they spend tax payer money to protect themselves from "supposed" (fake) threats. It's an absolute joke. Yet we have come to realize the leftists are not that bright just useful lemmings to their political masters.

Everyone is a lemming to some others in some sense. It is absurd to believe oneself being better. I only choose out of my conscience. If it is stupid so be it.
Patrickov wrote:Everyone is a lemming to some others in some sense. It is absurd to believe oneself being better. I only choose out of my conscience. If it is stupid so be it.

The topic is Minneapolis city council (who clearly have a leftist agenda) votes to defund the police then at the the same time they use tax payer money for their own supposed personal protection. I'm just adding truth and facts that are left out from the propaganda and gas lighting the majority here participate in . Do you not see the irony?
Finfinder wrote:The topic is Minneapolis City council votes to defund the police then at the the same time they use tax payer money for their own supposed personal protection. I'm just adding truth and facts that are left out from the propaganda and gas lighting the majority here participate in .

Do you not see the irony?

Sorry but I don't.

Removing a force that's prone to abuse their power, with more specific task force less prone to abuse, is a good re-allocation of money, even if it might actually cost more. It's whether the money is well-used that matters, rather than the simple "more is bad, less is good".

Still, my vote to the poll was a "no", because the police is not the root cause themselves.
@Donna

According to the CNN article I posted, it makes no mention of why the person was shot. Be that it may, a 14 year old boy who was critically wounded in the cross fire should not be demonized as a "fasicist." He is just a boy who knows nothing about the world. Regardless, you need to have an established authority to enforce rules and laws. You can't have people taking the law in their own hands. That's just going to lead to more problems.
Politics_Observer wrote:@Donna

According to the CNN article I posted, it makes no mention of why the person was shot. Be that it may, a 14 year old boy who was critically wounded in the cross fire should not be demonized as a "fasicist." He is just a boy who knows nothing about the world. Regardless, you need to have an established authority to enforce rules and laws. You can't have people taking the law in their own hands. That's just going to lead to more problems.

That is a great post.

BTW, on father's Day weekend a 3 year old toddler was murdered in your hometown of Chicago and CNN BLM did not blink. On that weekend they had 65 shootings.
Last edited by Julian658 on 30 Jun 2020 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
Patrickov wrote:Sorry but I don't.

Removing a force that's prone to abuse their power, with more specific task force less prone to abuse, is a good re-allocation of money, even if it might actually cost more. It's whether the money is well-used that matters, rather than the simple "more is bad, less is good".

Still, my vote to the poll was a "no", because the police is not the root cause themselves.

Well then your a victim of the propaganda because "prone to abuse" is a wide sweeping generality which you seemed to have issues with generalities. Abuse happens in police forces and it also happens in private police forces. It is an issue that needs to be addressed but it is a very small percentage and that is statistically a fact.
Finfinder wrote:Well then your a victim of the propaganda because "prone to abuse" is a wide sweeping generality which you seemed to have issues with generalities. Abuse happens in police forces and it also happens in private police forces. It is an issue that needs to be addressed but it is a very small percentage and that is statistically a fact.

I'm not saying private security force do not abuse their power, but they are exposed to less members of public so the scope is more controllable.
Patrickov wrote:I'm not saying private security force do not abuse their power, but they are exposed to less members of public so the scope is more controllable.

How would you know. They are private for profit companies not funded by tax payers and not subject to the same restrictions. So you want to replace the police who we can attempt to rein in and and give that power to people we cannot? So now the elected officials will protect themselves but not protect the average Joe and we will pay for it?
Finfinder wrote:How would you know. They are private for profit companies not funded by tax payers and not subject to the same restrictions. So you want to replace the police who we can attempt to rein in and and give that power to people we cannot? So now the elected officials will protect themselves but not protect the average Joe and we will pay for it?

And who said that the community cannot have a force for themselves? (Sorry if it sounds a bit like "let them eat cake")

I didn't call the 14 year-old a fascist. In fact he was a BLM protester who was injured by fascist gunfire.
Patrickov wrote:And who said that the community cannot have a force for themselves? (Sorry if it sounds a bit like "let them eat cake")

Well it is very unfortunate that I have to report to you no they cannot. This is what get.

Seattle: one teen killed and another injured in shooting in police-free zone

Six people have been shot in area of Capitol Hill Organized Protest zone in 10 days, prompting officials to look at dismantling it

A 16-year-old is dead and a 14-year-old is in critical condition in the latest of a series of shootings inside Seattle’s self-proclaimed police-free zone, known as the Capitol Hill Organized Protest (Chop).

Initially home to hundreds of peaceful protesters, in the last 10 days, four other people were shot in the area, including a 19-year-old man who was killed. The violence has left some officials seriously questioning the safety of the encampment and looking to take steps to dismantle it.

Officers said in a police blog that at about 3am on Monday, a white Jeep Cherokee SUV was reported near a Chop concrete barrier that surrounds the protest area. Several unidentified people then fired shots into the vehicle.

Seattle's activist-occupied zone is just the latest in a long history of movements and protests
Read more
“Two injured individuals, presumably the occupants of the Jeep”, were then taken to Harborview medical center, according to the police blog. One was transported by a private vehicle, while the other was taken by medics. Police are investigating the shooting.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -free-zone
@Donna

How do you know it was quote "fasicist gunfire." The article makes no indication at all of WHY there was gunfire. You haven't backed your assertion up with evidence from a reliable and authoritative source either. That leads me to believe you are being biased and jumping to conclusions based on your own pre-concieved notions.

How do you know it was quote "fasicist gunfire." The article makes no indication at all of WHY there was gunfire. You haven't backed your assertion up with evidence from a reliable and authoritative source either. That leads me to believe you are being biased and jumping to conclusions based on your own pre-concieved notions.

This is what people on the ground are saying on social media, that someone opened fire on the CHOP and CHOP security returned fire, killing at least one individual who was involved in the attack. I would imagine those details will eventually be reported.
@Donna

That might be true, but unfortunately, a 14 year old boy got caught in the crossfire and was hit. These self proclaimed security guards lack sufficient training in the application of the use of force. The person who used this level force could be held legally liable for what happened to the 14 year old and perhaps even to the shooting victim depending on the circumstances. And even if the shooter is not held criminally liable for the shooting, the shooter can easily be held civilly liable for the shooting and have to pay astronomical damages that he or she will not be able to declare bankruptcy on. In cases where you use lethal force, even if you are not found criminal liable you can still very easily be found civilly liable. Juries hand out millions of dollars in judgement damages like it's candy.

People tend to forget that the French now have a […]

It is easy to tell the tunnel was made of pre fab[…]

First two sentences: "The ICJ didn't say tha[…]

In my opinion, masculinity has declined for all of[…]