Should Protestors Against the Lockdowns Be Stopped? - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

SHOULD THE ANTI-LOCKDOWN PROTESTORS, STOP OR CONTINUE?

STOP
54%
CONTINUE
46%
pugsville wrote:Nope.

Really and how does republican stance of gay marriage endorse individualism rather than conformity to a narrow view of personal relations.

The only people that have an issue with gay marriage are the Evangelicals. Furthermore, gay marriage is not an issue anymore. Most people learn to accept the new. BTW, Obama was against gay marriage. He also loved deporting people.

A lot of left wing issues are rather insignificant and magnified to huge proportions to make propaganda. The only issues that matter are health care, jobs, the economy, freedom, and better police training. However bad policing is not in the top 100 when it comes to problems in black America.

COVID will be nothing but a distant memory in a few years. Climate change will be solved with near 100% nuclear power. NO need to manipulate the masses.
BTW, Obama was against gay marriage. He also loved deporting people.

Thank you for the misinformation from our resident racist.

COVID will be nothing but a distant memory in a few years.

Yes. The few million people who died from it will just be memories.

Climate change will be solved with near 100% nuclear power. NO need to manipulate the masses.

Ah. You mean except to "manipulate" them into ignoring the vast sums the oil and gas industry is spending to stop this. And to "manipulate" them into believing the nuclear energy is safe right next door to them.

It is like talking to a 13 year old who just finished an Ayn Rand book.
Drlee wrote:Thank you for the misinformation from our resident racist.

Yes. The few million people who died from it will just be memories.

Ah. You mean except to "manipulate" them into ignoring the vast sums the oil and gas industry is spending to stop this. And to "manipulate" them into believing the nuclear energy is safe right next door to them.

It is like talking to a 13 year old who just finished an Ayn Rand book.

The Republican that sounds like AOC! :lol: :lol:

Watch your idol Obama way back in 2004. He believed that marriage was between a man and a woman. I am a libertarian and never cared about that issue. You constantly demonstrate massive ignorance with your posts.

Julian658 wrote:Watch your idol Obama way back in 2004.

That's not fair at all. The people for gay marriage in 2004 were very low. None of us in here were for gay marriage in 2004 either(not even our own gay people). I was not for gay marriage until 2014 or something. Then I became best friends with a gay couple, was at their wedding and became godfather to their child.

Obama's views in 2004 were congruent with his progressive base as at the time the priority was gay rights more generally with marriage being an "extreme" and thus untenable position to take.

Obama was still being more pro-gay than any other republican at the time.
noemon wrote:That's not fair at all. The people for gay marriage in 2004 were very low. None of us in here were for gay marriage in 2004 either(not even our own gay people). I was not for gay marriage until 2014 or something. Then I became best friends with a gay couple, was at their wedding and became godfather to their child.

Obama's views in 2004 were congruent with his progressive base as at the time the priority was gay rights more generally with marriage being an "extreme" and thus untenable position to take.

Obama was still being more pro-gay than any other republican at the time.

I am a libertarian and was OK with gay marriage back them. There is no need to rationalize people.
BTW, Obama and people like Clinton were also against immigration through the Texas border. Not long ago they sounded exactly like Trump.

The only reason they change is because they go in whatever direction the wind blows. They love pandering to the blind followers.

I bet you now believe a man with a penis and XY chromosome can be a real woman.
That is a new one for this era.
I highly doubt you are for gay marriage even today let alone back in 2004 but whatever. Obama pioneered civil unions in the US so your statement is totally wrong about Obama wavering in his support for progressive or gay causes.
noemon wrote:I highly doubt you are for gay marriage even today let alone back in 2004 but whatever. Obama pioneered civil unions in the US so your statement is totally wrong about Obama wavering in his support for progressive or gay causes.

I have zero issues with gay marriage, trans, bis, and whatever other categories people come up with. I am a libertarian and those issues are no big deal at all. Unless---------------- they try to impose their values on others. At that point then it becomes a religion with its typical intolerance. As a libertarian I am way more tolerant than the average left winger in this forum.

BTW, do you know why gay candidate Mayor Pete did so poorly with black voters?
@Julian658 BTW, Obama and people like Clinton were also against immigration through the Texas border.

Wrong. They were against illegal immigration. So is Biden. So is Harris. So was Jimmy Carter. So is just about everyone I know, Republican and Democrat.

Not long ago they sounded exactly like Trump.

Not in the slightest. They did not make overtly racist comments about them. They did not oppose legal immigration like Trump does. They did take action to deport people who have been here since early childhood. (Dreamers) They realized that asylum seekers are legal immigrants not illegal ones. Of course Obama and Clinton did not go as far as Reagan did and give millions of them amnesty.

You are not a good troll Julian. A good troll stays closer to the truth. Perhaps you are not a troll at all. Perhaps you are just a racist who is too lazy or just not smart enough to get your facts straight.
Drlee wrote:Wrong. They were against illegal immigration. So is Biden. So is Harris. So was Jimmy Carter. So is just about everyone I know, Republican and Democrat.

Not in the slightest. They did not make overtly racist comments about them. They did not oppose legal immigration like Trump does. They did take action to deport people who have been here since early childhood. (Dreamers) They realized that asylum seekers are legal immigrants not illegal ones. Of course Obama and Clinton did not go as far as Reagan did and give millions of them amnesty.

You are not a good troll Julian. A good troll stays closer to the truth. Perhaps you are not a troll at all. Perhaps you are just a racist who is too lazy or just not smart enough to get your facts straight.

You are the so-called Republican that sounds like AOC. The one that still thinks Obama saw marriage as a man/woman thing.
There is no trolling when I can once again reproduce videos of your idols Obama, Biden, and HRC favoring a wall in the southern USA border. I kinda feel sorry for you. This is way too easy!
Sorry sport. You are getting nowhere with quotes of politicians pandering to audiences. Look at what they did in office.

Nice try though. :roll:
Drlee wrote:Sorry sport. You are getting nowhere with quotes of politicians pandering to audiences. Look at what they did in office.

Nice try though. :roll:

OK, you finally made a statement that actually makes sense. All those politicians say what they think the voters want to hear. That is why Obama said marriage was a man/woman thing and why he favored a wall for stopping immigration. He said what was convenient for the era. This is the MO of the Democrats.

Why do you think the Democrats switch their racism from Jim Crow to where we are today. Back in the 1960s they realized the black vote was important and hence they decided to pander to blacks with the victimhood narrative. And this has worked quite well for the elite of the party. In some of the crucial areas for the election of POTUS the blacks vote near 100% Democrat.
Julian658 wrote:It is quite clear the Democrats are the party that favor collectivism, greater government regulation, and government dependency. On the other hand the Republicans favor individualism, less government intervention, and a greater degree of personal freedom.

Donald Trump is an anomaly without ideology, he was never a true Republican.

All of this seems off topic.

How does this affect whether or not we should ban protests that exemplify lethal stupidity?

If the only people who died of Covid from these protests were the protesters, this would be a non-issue, as we could simply watch them give each other Darwin Awards.

But since they are also infecting others with a potentially lethal virus, it makes sense to ask the question whether or not they should be stopped.
noemon wrote:I highly doubt you are for gay marriage even today let alone back in 2004 but whatever. Obama pioneered civil unions in the US so your statement is totally wrong about Obama wavering in his support for progressive or gay causes.

Obama (and Clinton) only came out in support for gay marriage when it was politically acceptable and convenient to do so. Obama is probably the most masterful politician i've ever seen. He isn't stupid.

I generally prefer the Democrats over the GOP because the GOP are filled with nutters, but I think both parties are filled with crooked a-holes. The GOP are even bigger a-holes, but at least they're more upfront about being jerks, the Dems hide it much better, & are typically far more skilled at politics and PR, they're better liars (Obama, Bill Clinton, JFK). The exception might be Reagan, a very skilled politician. A good politician is someone able to stab you in the back with a smile and a good line so somehow you still like them. Trump is so arrogant he actually purposefully sets off landmines instead of trying to dodge them like every other politician, and now half the country hates him with a fury i've never seen. Most politicians go into the back alleys to be crooked, that was yet another Trump mistake. Hillary has "crooked" oozing out of her skin and she's not a good enough liar to hide it despite best efforts, which is why she's no Obama or Bill Clinton.
Pants-of-dog wrote:All of this seems off topic.

How does this affect whether or not we should ban protests that exemplify lethal stupidity?

If the only people who died of Covid from these protests were the protesters, this would be a non-issue, as we could simply watch them give each other Darwin Awards.

But since they are also infecting others with a potentially lethal virus, it makes sense to ask the question whether or not they should be stopped.

The protests themselves aren't hurting anyone. They're just words. The people who are hurting others are the ones who are taking actions causing real harm such as refusing to wear masks etc. The former aren't breaking the law, while the latter are. The latter should be dealt with by the law appropriately, the former should simply be ignored.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Shutting down opinions some people don't like seems exhausting and pointless and a waste of energy and resources, not to mention tyranny since nobody should be an arbiter of "the truth" and silence dissent.
I guess you didn't watch the Democrat primary debates. Biden got shamed for the Obama-era deportations. It's now progressive to not want to deport illegal migrants

Not exactly. It is not "progressive" to want to deport asylum seekers.

As a conservative I will just say that it is simply stupid to just want to deport all illegal aliens. I know it, you know it, and every politician in this country knows it.

Illegal immigration, like gay marriage, are simply hot button issues that the right uses to control the less intelligent or savvy members of their base.
Drlee wrote:Not exactly. It is not "progressive" to want to deport asylum seekers.

As a conservative I will just say that it is simply stupid to just want to deport all illegal aliens. I know it, you know it, and every politician in this country knows it.

Illegal immigration, like gay marriage, are simply hot button issues that the right uses to control the less intelligent or savvy members of their base.

I think that is an ugly thing to say, actually.

It is entirely possible to imagine a country where all immigration policies are logical, and the needs for cheap labor are also covered within these policies. These places exist -- Korea & Japan (as far as I know), are a good example.

People pretend such a vision is impossible either because they do not really want to think out the whole line that the position calls for, or because they really, really don't like being called a dog whistler & a racist.
Unthinking Majority wrote:The protests themselves aren't hurting anyone. They're just words. The people who are hurting others are the ones who are taking actions causing real harm such as refusing to wear masks etc. The former aren't breaking the law, while the latter are. The latter should be dealt with by the law appropriately, the former should simply be ignored.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Shutting down opinions some people don't like seems exhausting and pointless and a waste of energy and resources, not to mention tyranny since nobody should be an arbiter of "the truth" and silence dissent.

The problems though begin when the protests themselves go against social distancing and the like - I don't think it's responsible to spread the virus and that should stop. OTOH, some people either believe that the protests they don't regard as stupid don't spread the virus as much as those they do or they just want to ban the speech they don't like.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Obama (and Clinton) only came out in support for gay marriage when it was politically acceptable and convenient to do so. Obama is probably the most masterful politician i've ever seen. He isn't stupid.

I generally prefer the Democrats over the GOP because the GOP are filled with nutters, but I think both parties are filled with crooked a-holes. The GOP are even bigger a-holes, but at least they're more upfront about being jerks, the Dems hide it much better, & are typically far more skilled at politics and PR, they're better liars (Obama, Bill Clinton, JFK). The exception might be Reagan, a very skilled politician. A good politician is someone able to stab you in the back with a smile and a good line so somehow you still like them. Trump is so arrogant he actually purposefully sets off landmines instead of trying to dodge them like every other politician, and now half the country hates him with a fury i've never seen. Most politicians go into the back alleys to be crooked, that was yet another Trump mistake. Hillary has "crooked" oozing out of her skin and she's not a good enough liar to hide it despite best efforts, which is why she's no Obama or Bill Clinton.

It's not crooked if politicians in a winner-takes-all system adjust their political positions to the median voter, in fact that's how the system is supposed to work. What is unfortunate is that politicians have to act as if it was their personal conviction, at least in the US. I would say voters are to blame for that.
wat0n wrote:The problems though begin when the protests themselves go against social distancing and the like - I don't think it's responsible to spread the virus and that should stop. OTOH, some people either believe that the protests they don't regard as stupid don't spread the virus as much as those they do or they just want to ban the speech they don't like.

The gov didn't give a shit or try to stop the BLM protests. They need to allow protests but possibly come up with reasonable rules, like if you're in a group where a mask.

That's assuming Russia isn't giving financial sup[…]

The link to the previous post is on this page. Ple[…]

It has already been explained that this type of c[…]

For me Republicanism is masculine and monarchism i[…]