Should electronics and cars have a 10 year warranty? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Should electronics and cars have a 10 year warranty?

1 Yes
67%
2 Yes but just 5 years
No votes
0%
3 No
33%
4 Other
No votes
0%
When I buy electronics I buy high end stuff but unfortunately after 3 Years they do not work properly. Samsung and Apple give just max. 4 years updates for smartphones. 20 years ago if you buyed a expensive PC you could use it for decades, today max 5 years.

This is a huge burden for the environment.
No

A warranty is a good proxy for how long the manufacturer expects the product to last. Forcing longer warranties will not actually make the product more reliable, just add to the cost of it.
They could also design products that are easy to repair and replace parts for instead of being hostile to such efforts. Apple went so far as to design a new screw so no one could open up their devices and do something radical like replace the battery or upgrade a component. I've bought appliances with 10 year warranties on the core component such as a washing machine's motor.

A mandated 10 year warranty doesn't mean electronics will have to function perfectly for a decade, it means manufacturers will be required to repair or replace any device that breaks prematurely.

Look at this shit. This is inexcusable! >: htt[…]

Harvey Weinstein's conviction, for alleged "r[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It is pleasurable to see US university students st[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 27, Saturday More women to do German war w[…]