What is the biggest threat to your country? - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

What do you think is the biggest threat to your country?

Terrorism
2%
Economic downturn / Unemployment
25%
Immigration
10%
Global warming
12%
Pandemia
3%
Alien invasion
7%
Poor education
20%
War
2%
Other
19%
By Kapanda
Your argument would inherently be extremely short-termist. The imperical evidence shows that as economies expand, low-skilled workers today lose their jobs, but higher-skilled jobs become available. Those that cannot "re-skill" remain unemployed, but higher skilled jobs become available for future generations.

Western economies went from having mainly agrarian-based GDPs, to manufacturing-based, and now services-based.
By Zagadka
Poor education

Poor educations lead to a worsening job market, especially as people overseas have equal or better training, which in turn leads to an economic downturn (this effect has already kicked into gear).

Terrorism... fed. Fairly minor problem, honestly. It's like fearing an earthquake.

Global warming... it is a worrying thing; much of the country is in record droughts, but this is more of a long-term and global problem. Of course, if we wait a century, it would p-robably be too late to stop a runaway chain reaction of climate change. Desertification is a primary problem in my book.

Immigration... For all the hubbub made about it, it really isn't a crippling problem, especially in light of consumer/service and industrial jobs being shipped overseas. Interestingly enough, most of the people in southern Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona don't really hate the immigrants. Many have families on both sides of the border. Instead of building a 2000 mile wall with Army Rangers everty 10 feet, we could simply reform the immigration law to make the process of educating and inducting immigrants is far easier. The biggest economic leak regarding them is educating their American-citizen children.

I said war just because of all of the threats that exist in today's society. If it was an option, I would have said

'Bill Clinton selling my economy to China back in the 90's.'

:lol:

Right, yea, we never imported assloads of cheap products from China until Bill Clinton. WTF are you, 13?
By ingliz
Kapanda -

Peter Drucker wrote:What is emerging is not one but four world economies: a world economy of information; of money; of multinationals (one no longer dominated by American enterprises); and a mercantilist world economy of goods, services and trade. These world economies overlap and interact with one another. But each is distinct with different members, a different scope, different values and different institutions.
The world economy is thus fast coming to look far more like the mercantilism of Alexander Hamilton than like Adam Smith's free trade. It is fast becoming an "interzonal" rather than an "international" world economy.
But a new kind of mercantilist rivalry is emerging in this new economy--one in which the United States suffers from little-noticed disadvantages. For instance, the EU is seeking to export its regulations (and to impose its high regulatory costs on the United States) through international agreements, the reinterpretation of WTO rules, and the growing acceptance of EU standards in third markets. It is also promoting its new currency, the euro, as a rival and alternative to the dollar as the world's reserve currency--a step that, if it succeeded, would greatly reduce the U.S.government's ability to attract foreign funds to finance its deficit and thus maintain the Bush Doctrine. . . . The United States could therefore find itself with a smaller "home market" than rival blocs, but with the same high-cost regulations, in a world of intense mercantilist competition.

Drucker argues that much of this new mercantilist rivalry is focused on containing the economic power of the United States. I don't think that was the intended outcome for your brave new world.
By NoRapture
The government using terrorism as an excuse to slowly create a police state.
Finally. Somebody said it. Thanks, FallenRaptor. Everyone around here is so terrified of seeming un-ironic and not blase enough they go to incredible lengths to avoid truth.
By Todd D.
You guys big frequenters of PrisonPlanet or InfoWars? That where you get your info?
By NoRapture
You guys big frequenters of PrisonPlanet or InfoWars? That where you get your info?
I learn a lot watching FOXNEWS.
By Todd D.
Just as bad, really.

Well, no, not JUST as bad, since even Fox isn't retarded enough to claim Bush blew up the Towers, but still pretty bad.
By Kapanda
Drucker argues that much of this new mercantilist rivalry is focused on containing the economic power of the United States. I don't think that was the intended outcome for your brave new world.

Talk about deviation from the point!! I'll give no attempt to refute or entertain that point, just a conspiracy theory
By Athanas
Poor education would devestate a modern or ancient civilization.

Our standards should be increased with more emphasis on math and science. The White House cabinet should have a strong science panel with international credibility and status. Science is the heart of technology and math its mind. No amount of special interests, religious agenda, or unpopular knowledge should inhibit the practical applications which determine the quality and security of our lives.

An ignorant America would be a fallen America.
By Tailz
I voted: All of the Above.
By AmericanPatriot
Right, yea, we never imported assloads of cheap products from China until Bill Clinton. WTF are you, 13?

I would also say NAFTA was a big mistake. Some of my assosciates had their machines unbolted from the factory floor and crated down to Mexico. (The Mexican factory they were taken to still lacked electricity as well.)

Hooray Clinton!
By FallenRaptor
AmericanPatriot wrote:I would also say NAFTA was a big mistake. Some of my assosciates had their machines unbolted from the factory floor and crated down to Mexico. (The Mexican factory they were taken to still lacked electricity as well.)

Hooray Clinton!

You are aware that it was Bush Sr. who did all the negotiations for NAFTA, right? All Clinton did was pass it.
By AmericanPatriot
All Clinton did was pass it.

And tag on the NAALC, which is a joke. Clinton made outsourcing American jobs a hell of a lot easier.
By FallenRaptor
What did the NAALC do to make outsourcing easier? It doesn't seem to have any significant impact.
By millie_(A)TCK
Holland: Xenophobia is the biggest issue in Holland in part because the obsession with intergrating non-natives makes the people ignore how Holland's liberal values and sovereignty are slowly being eroded by the libertarian and Christian conservative government.

Kenya: Tribalism, Corruption and Elitism.

Canada: Homelessness, Harper's conservatism and American ass-licking, Aboriginal Land Rights.

As a (A)TCK: The world's issue is greed, capitalism and blind conformity to obvious inane traditions.
By Kapanda
But wait American Patriot, aren't you economically right-wing?
By Dr House
But wait American Patriot, aren't you economically right-wing?

I wouldn't be surprised if he's not, TBH. The GOP is overrun with Jesus-freaks and authoritarian nationalists.
By Oxymoron
The world's issue is greed, capitalism and blind conformity to obvious inane traditions.

Yes because communism worked so well.

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octo[…]

Yes, It is illegal in the US if you do not declar[…]

Though you accuse many people ("leftists&quo[…]

Chimps are very strong too Ingliz. In terms of fo[…]