What is the biggest threat to your country? - Page 9 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

What do you think is the biggest threat to your country?

Terrorism
2%
Economic downturn / Unemployment
25%
Immigration
10%
Global warming
12%
Pandemia
3%
Alien invasion
7%
Poor education
20%
War
2%
Other
19%
By Copernicus
Other

Information overload brought about by too many internet polls.
By Dave
Immigration

Immigration threatens to displace the American nation in our own homeland.
By Adam_Smith
Other: neoconservatism.
By Zerogouki
Immigrants aren't displacing anybody. Granted, I'm annoyed when the guys at McDonald's get my order wrong because they don't understand English, but it'll be a cold day in Hell before Mexicans outnumber Vietnamese in San Jose.
By canchin
Other(s) in combination:

Political and religious cults enslaving a lethargic, obedient public into accepting that slavery established as an antiquated status quo and lack of scientific, emotional, moral, ethical and intellectual evolution.

In other words, it's the people that are the greatest danger.
By Nikola
Other - Apathy and our own government.
By The Immortal Goon
See, I don't trust the opinion of experts all that much, I prefer seeing evidence and real-life examples and data and coming to my own conclusions.

Anecdotal evidence is notoriously poor when nothing else is taken in to account. It's no surprise that you became a Libertarian. In the belly of the Celtic Tiger, it seems anecdotally to be good advice to borrow a million dollars to buy property.

Of course, when you take in to account the value of property has a declining social value as it was largely defined as being as valuable as it was because of forces at work from before the Land War, and that much of the investment socially assumed to go in to land has an agricultural value that is no longer being taken in to account and that the market isn't always going to be on an upturn, it doesn't seem like a good idea any more.

In short, Libertarianism seems swell when you have a bunch of money in your pocket and know a lot of people with money in their pocket. For the child labourers that are making your clothes it's a laughable philosophy.
By Holt

Really? Considering that the fate of the Iraq experiment has already seen it basically crippled as a political force in Washington ...
By noemon
Holt, just because PNAC got dissolved, it does not mean that neoconservatism got crippled . Obama made this statement in the CFR(the alleged opposite of neo-conservatism):

It is time to turn the page. When I am President, we will wage the war that has to be won, with a comprehensive strategy with five elements: getting out of Iraq and on to the right battlefield in Afghanistan and Pakistan; developing the capabilities and partnerships we need to take out the terrorists and the world’s most deadly weapons; engaging the world to dry up support for terror and extremism; restoring our values; and securing a more resilient homeland.

Read more here.
Right now, America's biggest threat is plutocracy - a society "of the wealthy, by the wealthy, for the wealthy." If the recent trend continues for much longer, big business will have absolute power over the people and the middle class will vanish. More than half the population will live in constant fear that poverty, unemployment, and/or homelessness could be right around the corner. And any groups that try to rise up against corporate oppression will be violently suppressed by an increasingly lackeyish police and military force. And the media will spin the stories to lay blame on the oppressed, not the oppressors.
By Maas
Global warming

The polar cap is melting. THat ice-mass was pusing down on that site of the plate. My country is a bit on the otherside. So... my country is going down a bit by that Seesaw-effect. And that with the rising sea-water, the amount of terrential rain that is increasing,.... and my country being under sea-level already....

it's costing my country billions to upgrade everything.
Coastal protecting New Orleans is a fucking joke to what we build though. So no worries. :D
By Adam_Smith
Holt wrote:

Really? Considering that the fate of the Iraq experiment has already seen it basically crippled as a political force in Washington ...

I cannot trust that the neocon threat is safely over until the Bush administration is gone and not replaced by a McCain administration. Until then, the neocons will be sorely tempted to tighten their grip on foreign policy by starting a new war; i.e., "another front in the war on terror".
By Holt
noemon wrote:Obama made this statement

Sounds like he plans on returning US foreign policy to more traditional forms of Third World military interventionism - 'Gunboat diplomacy', covert warfare, the use of proxies etc. - rather than embarking on another Iraq-style "end of history" nation-building exercise.
By noemon
Holt wrote:Sounds like he plans on returning US foreign policy to more traditional forms of Third World military interventionism - 'Gunboat diplomacy', covert warfare, the use of proxies etc. - rather than embarking on another Iraq-style "end of history" nation-building exercise.

Nah, it sounds more like that the Iraqi project has been completed for the American(neo-con) point of view, and that it is time to move further deep inside Asia. The policy remains the same. The PNAC got dissolved because as the founders said themselves, "its purpose has been fulfilled".

Adam_Smith wrote: cannot trust that the neocon threat is safely over until the Bush administration is gone and not replaced by a McCain administration. Until then, the neocons will be sorely tempted to tighten their grip on foreign policy by starting a new war; i.e., "another front in the war on terror".

Adam Smith, apparently you have the logical misconception that the neo-con politics(in fact realpolitik politics) will be removed by another administration. Also, you have not digested the fact that McCain is a member of the CFR, just like Obama.

As i said already in another thread, once you light up the steam, there is no turning back. This is a history lesson. To change the politics, another elite alltogether has to take control, not another party, and even then it becomes dubious. Political strategy is formed according to the international standing, as long as America is the super-power, that is going to be her policy.

When was the first time, that the American people, ever revolted?
By Adam_Smith
noemon wrote:As i said already in another thread, once you light up the steam, there is no turning back. This is a history lesson. To change the politics, another elite alltogether has to take control, not another party, and even then it becomes dubious. Political strategy is formed according to the international standing, as long as America is the super-power, that is going to be her policy.
To me, this theory of neocon foreign policy inevitability sounds like neocon propaganda designed to divert opposition, not unlike the "inevitability" of Hillary Clinton being the Democratic nominee. McCain is committed to defending the Bush-neoconservative foreign policy -- his criticisms being limited to details of implementation. He will try to defeat Obama with neocon scare-mongering. This, I believe, will push Obama into more energetically criticizing the Bush-neocon record and that, in turn, will commit him to a meaningful change of direction. It is utterly typical that changes of direction come from reaction to unsatisfactory experiences.

There were neocons in government at least since the Reagan administration, but they did not dominate foreign policy until the hysteria following the 9/11 attacks made them seem more credible. As that episode fades into the past, objectivity can reassert itself -- if encouraged by sane leadership.

When was the first time, that the American people, ever revolted?
Probably the 1794 Whiskey Rebellion. Why do you ask?
By noemon
You are rationalizing phenomena of the media, to keep alive a thread of hope. I understand that.

My question was rhetorical and am sure you know, why.
By Blondie
| I, CWAS | wrote:Source

What ever happened to CWAS?
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

The far left does not want another October 7. No […]

Were the guys in the video supporting or opposing […]

Watch what happens if you fly into Singapore with […]

Chimps are about six times stronger than the aver[…]