Do you love America - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Do you love both America and the American Government?

Do you love America but not the American Government?
45%
Do you love the American Government but not America?
4%
Other
51%
By R_G
Not really...I like some States though.
By Zerogouki
I love my country almost as much as I hate the stupid assholes who run it.
By humanrights
I love my country almost as much as I hate the stupid assholes who run it.

And that's why I get mad; I love America but think it is being ruined by our government.

The Patriots of the 1700's also loved America and hated the government that they felt was destroying the country. Ok, the other government was British, but does it make a difference whether the government is quartered in Washington DC or London if the results are the same?
By Paradigm
Other

I like certain states, but not others. In general, I like our system of government, but not so much its current leaders. I'm fairly happy with the particular part of America that I live in right now, and don't really care to live anywhere else. At the same time, I hate the fact that all those square-shaped states in the middle of the country exert so much influence on our policies.
By millie_(A)TCK
I like many Americans ( utmost most respect for you liberal intellectuals) and can't stand many (god you have so many conformist morons), overall I clash a lot with Americans. Americans pretentious cheerfulness clashes with my be real at all times attitude. The only display of anger I have had in the last year with a stranger was with an obnoxious American tourist who cut in my dinner with my fiance to talk to him for 20 minutes!
By Fenrir
I like America and its Government (though there are numerous flaws to it). I dislike the emotional, impression-based nature of American "politics"; hence, I have to come to a forum to discuss politics. During the few times I watch the news, regarding elections, it's like I'm watching a gossip superbowl game of Team Dems vs Team Reps. Some comment on McCain, made by Gen. Wesley Clark, is just not that big of a deal.

I like many Americans ( utmost most respect for you liberal intellectuals) and can't stand many (god you have so many conformist morons), overall I clash a lot with Americans. Americans pretentious cheerfulness clashes with my be real at all times attitude.

If you're a non-conformist, then what exactly makes you different than the typical liberal, young adult? American young adults love keepin' it real.

The only display of anger I have had in the last year with a stranger was with an obnoxious American tourist who cut in my dinner with my fiance to talk to him for 20 minutes!

:lol:
By perpetuum
Other. I like American politics, that's it.

By that I mean politics as a whole, not curent politics or all the politics. I think Americans have rich political culture.
By humanrights
By that I mean politics as a whole, not curent politics or all the politics. I think Americans have rich political culture.

Do you mean Americans know politics, or do you mean Americans know government?

They probably do.

Or do you mean that Americans know good government.
They don't.
By The Antiist
I think I'd like Romney do the explaining here. But on a serious note, though..

If you support your country or whatever one would want to call it ('love'?), it would be the most helpful thing to contribute by giving constructive criticism. In other words, I have a dream that one day countries wouldn't be judged by the colors of their flag, but the content of their policies. ;)
By perpetuum
Do you mean Americans know politics, or do you mean Americans know government?

They probably do.

Or do you mean that Americans know good government.
They don't.

No, so far my impression is that Americans know shit. But they manage to elect leaders who dictate the tone of world affairs. Just take a look at last presidencies. It is really colourful and polorazing at the same time.

United States shifts every and single time they elect a president, just look at Clinton, Bush, Reagan. All of em are different and all of them bring new concepts to the real world.
By Kaspar
Neither - I don't love the government and I don't understand how someone can love a country.
By humanrights
perpetuum,

I think Clinton just "Let the good times roll".

Isn't that a conservative approach?

The only thing I blame Clinton for his his role in the free trade agreements.

Free trade agreements were supposed to help the global economy. That was supposed to help us. Instead, China is competing with us for oil. That is driving up the price.

If a thriving global economy was good for us, then tourism in the USA should be up, not down. I mean all the neuvo rich around the globe should now have money to travel to the USA. The dollar is down, so travel to the USA is a bargain. Why is tourism to the USA down if gobal trade is supposed to be good?

Globalization brought us is debt, unemployment and lower wages. That is what those of us that voted for H. Ross Perrot believed would happen. Free trade agreements brought us is debt, unemployment and lower wages.

Sans government, I still love America. I love the land. I love the people. I believe the 200 million stupid Americans can be educated.
By Umar.Ahmed
I love America. I've got some great friends from there and have always had an awesome time and been treated great every time I've been there. I'm not a US citizen so it's a bit tough to love the American government. I do have a lot of respect for the US government. It is an elected government that seeks to represents the interests of the people that it was elected to serve.

I think the question could have been given better answers. I mean, if you love both country and government you just end up saying other. Surely, that also includes people who both hate America and the government, therefore leaving it a useless indicator of respondents' feelings.
By dannymu
I love the US AND the CURRENT American Government
By Far-Right Sage
I love this nation because I was raised here, but I have serious problems with its founding ideology, as well as the current administration.
By Oxymoron
love this nation because I was raised here, but I have serious problems with its founding ideology, as well as the current administration.

Just beacause your born somewhere doesnt mean you have to love it. If you dont like Freedom, representation I suggest you move to Russia or Zimbabwe.
By humanrights
If you don’t like Freedom, representation I suggest you move to Russia or Zimbabwe.

Isn't that the fallacy of too few choices? What if I want MORE freedom and representation?

Isn't there another logical fallacy here as well? Haven't you pre-supposed that no government is or can be better than our government?

That last fallacy would also presuppose that all the intellectuals that complain about this government are wrong. I believe that's the fallacy of authority (Rush Limbaugh, Bush and Scalia types).
By Oxymoron
What if I want MORE freedom and representation?

Our constitution is flexible enough to grant that if thats the overall will of the people.

Isn't there another logical fallacy here as well? Haven't you pre-supposed that no government is or can be better than our government?

Our goverment gives a lot of safety valves against Dictatorship and is very flexible to change. Is it the best there can be perhaps not but its the best there is.
By Far-Right Sage
Just beacause your born somewhere doesnt mean you have to love it. If you dont like Freedom, representation I suggest you move to Russia or Zimbabwe.

Oxy, you don't know what you're talking about on this issue. It's not about being loyal to which geographical boundaries you were pushed out of the womb between. Putting your life on the line for a nation changes your perspective a bit on things, don't you think?

Also, "don't like freedom" is far too vague and nonsensical a statement. Obviously I'm not moving to Russia or Zimbabwe, as I am neither Russian nor African and I am not a particular fan of those countries.
By humanrights
With this "government" at single digit approval, how can anyone say they love this "government" with a straight face.

What should the mob that determines our fates be called?

Hmm... Cogitating...

In Canada, Indigenous people have been harassed ri[…]

That was weird

No, it won't Only the Democrats will be hurt by t[…]

No. There is nothing arbitrary about whether peop[…]