Do you love America - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Do you love both America and the American Government?

Do you love America but not the American Government?
45%
Do you love the American Government but not America?
4%
Other
51%
By humanrights
"While the storm clouds gather far across the sea,
Let us swear allegiance to a LAND that's free,
Let us all be grateful for a LAND so fair,
As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer. "

God Bless America,
LAND that I love.
Stand beside her, and guide her
Thru the night with a light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans, white with foam
God bless America, My home sweet home.

I love this land like the indians love this land.

I had two other choices, but they were lost...
Last edited by humanrights on 26 Apr 2008 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
By Captain Sam
The American government disgusts me. It acts more like a plutocracy than a democracy.
By Truth-a-naut
I love the concept of America and envy their form of governance. I am tired of addressing appointed officials as "your excellency".

The current admin... I cannot say that I am a fan of.
By humanrights
Num13ers,

You're from Canada. Do you like your own government?

Which do you prefer, the Canadian real estate or American real estate?

I live only slightly south of Canada, but I long for long, warm summers.

I like Canada's health care system.
By The Immortal Goon
1. There should be an option to not love anything about America or to love everything about America

2. The entire concept of jingoism is baseless. I like certain places in the United States, you could even say that I love them. But I love places in Germany, Ireland, and probably most countries as well.
By Noelnada
I don't love America or its government but i do love some American people, some American sub-cultures, American landscapes.
By humanrights
I love the concept of America and envy their form of governance. I am tired of addressing appointed officials as "your excellency".

I love the concept of America too. As a radical, I agree with reactionaries that want to go back to the American government of 1792.
By Captain Sam
I'm 17. So at the moment, I'm not concerned with real estate.
The Canadian government makes me proud to be Canadian. Sure, there are plenty of things I could complain about, but comparatively to the US government, Canada is the promised land.

I live very comfortably and have little to worry about. I'm thankful for the Country I live in.
By Suska
lol, what kinda choice is that?

America has its charms, though it keeps them hidden or obscures them by inappropriate juxtapositions, for instance, beautiful university campuses next to hideous strip malls, or great shows like X-Play next to commercials about vaginal yeast infections. There are some super nice people here, folks you can drink at a bar with and have a nice time, and a greater share of the worlds total assholes too.

As for the govt, what can you say about institutions drowning in bureaucratic feces and corruption so much so that no sane person would engage in public service. What can be said about a govt or a law-enforcement regime that when the greater populace demonstrates that at best it has a very mixed support - it takes that for free license to do as it wishes..?

Personally I have hated America, and I have lived in many countries, and I have discovered not every nation is worthy of loathing. So my answer would be I hate America and its Govt. But people are people and they have their own capacity to choose - whatever the environment.
By Lensky1917
I will admit that the second option does make sense. If you really dislike America, you would support the current Administration in running it into the ground. :hmm:
By Captain Sam
I will admit that the second option does make sense. If you really dislike America, you would support the current Administration in running it into the ground.

Aha, I'll make a toast to that.
By Nets
I think the United States is the greatest country on Earth, and do love it.
By Galoredk
Other!

Americans are nice people:)
The American Government is terrible as is much of American culture.
By Dolphin
Truth-a-naut wrote:I love the concept of America and envy their form of governance.

Why?!?

We may be talking relativity here, but there are much better examples of democracy in the West.
By Dr House
We may be talking relativity here, but there are much better examples of democracy in the West.

Not really. Every other government in the West has been allowed to perform such travesties as playing fast and loose with their kinsmen's freedom of speech (holocaust denial laws, for example, which would not be allowed in America). There is no balance or limits of power in a parliamentary democracy, it basically relies on the benevolence of bureaucrats.

-Dr House :smokin:
By NoRapture
I actually love America and the American government. Back when we had a government I loved that too.
By Dolphin
Dr House wrote:Not really. Every other government in the West has been allowed to perform such travesties as playing fast and loose with their kinsmen's freedom of speech (holocaust denial laws, for example, which would not be allowed in America).

You make a very good point there Doctor. And I'd like to say that documents like the Bill of Rights are something every nation should have.

For me its always a toss-up between a functioning government and proportional representation. I'm not that familiar with the actual process used to elect the two Houses but I'm quite happy with the Scottish Parliament's hybrid of FPTP and PR.

But I was referring to the electoral system used in the Presidential elections & Presidential candidate elections.

Saying that, at least you guys get to elect your Head of State, no matter how flawed the system may be.
By ingliz
Other - I love neither America nor it's government
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@JohnRawls , I recall you talking about how they […]

@Tainari88 White people, black music ... Elvi[…]

I already answered this, but here it is again: I[…]

Because it is your argument. Given I've already[…]