An interesting take on Jordan Peterson - Page 22 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

All of the greatest philosophers cry while dissecting a single minute of a Disney film. Sartre actually spent years crying over his gravestone so that the Mickey Mouse logo he had chiseled into it would be worn down with tears. He was prophetic in that way.
Unthinking Majority wrote:
Jordan Peterson is saying he is being ordered to attend social media re-education training for having rightwing political tweets or risks having his psychology license revoked due to complaints from people he doesn't know, half of whom he says falsely claimed to be his patients

Actually, the complaints are from his colleagues. They don't want to be associated with someone using his degree as a cover for a trendy guru act.
Unthinking Majority wrote:
Source?

If that's true its even worse. They don't like his politics so they're trying to muzzle his political opinions?

The source is in your link.. I read it.

As I've said before, a kid could do worse. Far too many gurus wind up in the middle of a pile of dead bodies, Jim Jones, David Koresh, etc.

The ones that don't wind up rapaciously exploitative, Scientology, Jehovahs Witlesses, etc

JP won't go there.

But, at the same time, he's way off the shrink reservation. Shrinks aren't supposed to be gurus...

So this will likely end with him still a guru, just without his pigksin. He should have enough money by now to retire comfortably anytime he wants.

We can tell a lot by the way he handles it, the less like Trump, the better.
late wrote:The source is in your link.. I read it.

As I've said before, a kid could do worse. Far too many gurus wind up in the middle of a pile of dead bodies, Jim Jones, David Koresh, etc.

The ones that don't wind up rapaciously exploitative, Scientology, Jehovahs Witlesses, etc

JP won't go there.

But, at the same time, he's way off the shrink reservation. Shrinks aren't supposed to be gurus...

So this will likely end with him still a guru, just without his pigksin. He should have enough money by now to retire comfortably anytime he wants.

We can tell a lot by the way he handles it, the less like Trump, the better.

Can you please quote the "colleague" part. I read the article and didn't see it.

JP hasn't practiced since 2017 when he got famous for reasons of professional ethics and $$$.

Being a "self-help guru" has nothing to do with the complaint, from what I see. Its the tweets.
It is the most common thing in the world for professionals who belong to a professional order to be required to regularly attend classes or otherwise educate themselves on the latest findings in their professional field.

He is not forced to attend these classes. He will, however, no longer be a member of whatever order he currently belongs to. Since he is no longer practicing as a clinical psychologist any more, the loss of his licence seems relatively insignificant except to help him pose as a victim.
Pants-of-dog wrote:It is the most common thing in the world for professionals who belong to a professional order to be required to regularly attend classes or otherwise educate themselves on the latest findings in their professional field.

This is not professional development. This is a reprimand based on official complaints against him about his social media tweets, allegedly including a bunch of people falsely claiming to be clients of his.

He is not forced to attend these classes.

Please provide evidence for this claim.
late wrote:It has to do with his guru act.

Shrinks aren't supposed to do that.

https://www.apa.org/ethics/codehttps://www.apa.org/ethics/code

Please quote the specific rule he's violated from the Ontario College of Psychologists about private political communications. Your link 1. isn't specific , and 2. it doesn't apply to him, he's not a member of the APA, he's from an entirely different country.

Also, since you didn't provide the quote for your claim that the article I posted in the OP reveals that the complaints against him are from colleagues then this claim will be thrown out as false and that you made it up.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Jordan Peterson is saying he is being ordered to attend social media re-education training for having rightwing political tweets or risks having his psychology license revoked due to complaints from people he doesn't know, half of whom he says falsely claimed to be his patients:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/my-cri ... al-reasons

Petersen is lair. I wold not take his version of events as being even remotely factual.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Yes its perfectly reasonable for us to wait for the evidence before drawing definite conclusions. That's why I've been saying things like "He is saying that..." and "allegedly".

yeah but the same record that EVERYTHING is a witch hunt, everyone is out to get him, because he's teh sole truth speaker and the rest of society is run bu cultural Marxists., the sky is falling etc etc. Blah blah blah.

Yup his stick is successful make money.

But I can imagine a professional body being sick of a con artist posing as member of their profession.
Unthinking Majority wrote:This is not professional development. This is a reprimand based on official complaints against him about his social media tweets, allegedly including a bunch of people falsely claiming to be clients of his.

This is all based on what he claimed. When it comes to stories about JP, I consider JP to be a questionable source.

This is probably something somewhere between professional development and ethics training. The College does have ethical requirements that JP is probably breaking.

Please provide evidence for this claim.

The College has no legal power to force him to take the classes. The most they can do against him, legally, would be to refuse to give him a licence and then charge him if he practices without a licence.
Pants-of-dog wrote:This is all based on what he claimed. When it comes to stories about JP, I consider JP to be a questionable source.

That's fine, I agree they are just claims at this point.

This is probably something somewhere between professional development and ethics training. The College does have ethical requirements that JP is probably breaking.

This is just speculation.

The College has no legal power to force him to take the classes. The most they can do against him, legally, would be to refuse to give him a licence and then charge him if he practices without a licence.

You're playing with semantics. I'm not playing these games.

You didn't watch the video I posted earlier which[…]

“Whenever the government provides opportunities […]

The GOP is pretty much the anti-democracy party a[…]

I just read a few satires by Juvenal, and I still[…]