Stalin polls - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By GlobalJustice
As an American, I don't hear much about the opinion of Russians to their own history.

However, a couple of days ago, on the 50th anniversary of Stalin's death, an article appeared in our local newspaper about Russians' views of Stalin today.

It said that while 39% abhorred what Stalin did to the country, 49% thought Stalin had done more positive things for Russia.

I was very shocked by this. Do you Russians on the board think that this is about accurate, or was the poll not a good representation of the public opinion?
By Seamus Warren
It's disgusting isn't it? I reckon most of those people are ignorant of their own history.

The selective morality an anti-Americanism rife in the world today is sickening. The fact that George Bush gets worse press than Saddam Hussein is also sickening.
By Ixa
Seamus Warren wrote:It's disgusting isn't it? I reckon most of those people are ignorant of their own history.

The selective morality an anti-Americanism rife in the world today is sickening. The fact that George Bush gets worse press than Saddam Hussein is also sickening.

George Bush is a dictator of the international community (and hence the world), while Hussein is only a dictator of his country.
Last edited by Ixa on 06 Feb 2006 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
By KurtFF8
Supernius wrote:
Seamus Warren wrote:It's disgusting isn't it? I reckon most of those people are ignorant of their own history.

George Bush is a dictator of the international community (and hence the world), while Hussein is only a dictator of his country.

obviously hes not the leader of the world (hince all the oposition agnist this war)
By CasX
In relation to the original post - I don't think people's opinions now to Stalin are relevant, or even correct. He died 50 years ago. That's a very long time, few people asked would have been alive under Stalin.
By Papergut
It's disgusting isn't it? I reckon most of those people are ignorant of their own history.

What is real disgusting is that you talk so without knowing Russian history and Russian people.

In relation to the original post - I don't think people's opinions now to Stalin are relevant, or even correct. He died 50 years ago. That's a very long time, few people asked would have been alive under Stalin.

The poll results are correct, and you are right in the point that most Russians would not like to live under Stalin's rule, mostly because of the Great Fatherland War. They understand that Stalin did much for Russia than anyone else before (except Lenin) and after. Here are the most accurate results:

What role did Stalin play in Russian and Soviet history?
Positive - 45%
Negative - 37%
Can't say - 17%

Talking about historical perspectives, did Stalin's epoch bring Russia more good or evil?
More good - 39%
More evil - 40%
Can't say - 21%

After 50 more years pass, will people remember Stalin? What will they think of him?
Good - 13%
Evil - 10%
Mixed thoughts - 41%
Will forget him - 19%
Can't say - 17%

What politics of the XX century do you like most?
Putin - 26%
Stalin - 19%
Nikolai II - 12%
Lenin - 10%
Gorbachev - 5%
Andropov - 5%
Brezhnev - 4%
Khrushev - 2%
Yeltsin - 1%

Link to the source, available in Russian: http://www.wciom.ru/vciom/new/public/public_own/030303_stalin.htm
By Seamus Warren
Papergut wrote:What is real disgusting is that you talk so without knowing Russian history and Russian people.
What are you trying to say? That Stalin wasn't a bad guy? He was a "knock-around bloke" 'eh?

The reason I suggest many Russians would be ignorant of Stalin's dark side would be the former Communist regime that would have painted him as a hero. Freedom is non-existant in Communist countries where access to information is controlled and rationed. The people of the USSR were treated like mushrooms - kept in the dark and fed a load of shit. I'm not attacking the people when I point out their ignorance. It was the "system".
By Deicidus
Bush is a dictator. Sure the global population didnt agree with him. And what. They have the right to share their oppinion and that dosnt do shit. Nobody dares to opposes of of the most advanced and powerfull military power. UN tried to stop him or at least to slow him down. He went against it. For a nation that self declared itself ``civilized``, they use the most barbarian and low tactics in the book. The people have no rights. A lot of people were in the streets in washinton, yelling their disaproval. 90% of them wants Saddam to go, but more than 70% don't want to do it without UN's approval. Did he listen to his own people, no. Did he listen to the rest of the world, no. He started another Vietnam. People were in the streets for years yelling to stop the war, did they stop it ?, no. The left because they got their ass kicked by slingshots and boobytraps. You talk about a democracy, when the people can't decide of their fate until the next election. You really think Bush is around to make the world a better and safer place ?.

You really think that putting pressure on a nation or waging war against it will make it safer for them. It dosn't work for Israel, why should it work fo Bush. The world will be filled with Ben Ladens in the months to come. A lot of towers will be taken down and you can bet that America's allies in this bulshit war will face some concequences.

America is filled with ignorants, fascists and white supremists. those who arent have either no power or are taken out of their way. Hughy, Martin Luther King Jr, Malcolm X, Dawson, McClerick....

Bush is the real threat to the world and to his own country.

He just said in his address to the nation that america as never and never will support a Dictatoship regime.
MMm,mmmm. September 11 1973, Santiago Chili.[/quote]
By Seamus Warren
Deicidus wrote:Bush is a dictator.
This thread is about Stalin and the rabid anti-Americanism takes over yet again.
By CasX
Seamus Warren wrote:The people of the USSR were treated like mushrooms - kept in the dark and fed a load of shit.

:lol: Nice one :)
By GlobalJustice
Although I disagree with his policy. life under the "dictator Bush" ain't that bad.

But, uh, I intended for us to talk about life under Stalin.
By CasX
Well there's heaps of discussion like that in the Communism forum, strangely enough, Stalin debate also rages in the Dictatorship forum...

You could post this thing somewhere there, it's quite interesting.
By Adrien
Freedom is non-existant in Communist countries where access to information is controlled and rationed.

Interesting generalization of the Sovietic case.

As RedStar says: "Communism is about freedom or it is about nothing."
World War II Day by Day

May 22, Wednesday Bletchley Park breaks Luftwaf[…]

You might be surprised and he might wind up being[…]

He may have gotten a lot more votes than Genocide[…]