Chinese Piece on racial inequality in US - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

From People's Daily - I don't really know how much of it is true, or exaggerated, but it's interesting.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martin Luther King's Dream Hard to Be Fulfilled

http://fpeng.peopledaily.com.cn/200308/ ... 3084.shtml

Forty full years have passed since Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech titled "I Have a Dream" on racial equality was published, however, five major "hidden discriminations" have made it hard for the "dream" to come true.

On August 23, thousands of American people gathered before Lincoln Memorial Hall in Washington to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the speech entitled "I Have a Dream" delivered by Martin Luther King Jr., a noted American leader of the blacks. On that day of 1963, Martin Luther King delivered his well-known speech, "I Have a Dream" here. Today, this man has gone, but his declaration remains, has Martin Luther King's dream on "racial equality" been realized? On this special day that is quite possible to arouse sympathy from descendants of minority nationalities in the United States, US human right organizations, mainstream media and politicians came out to make self-examinations and introspection.

Today 40 years after the publication of Martin Luther King's speech, the blacks and descendants of minority nationalities remain to be second-class citizens subject to different degrees of discrimination on political, economic and education problems. Compared with 40 years ago, the greatest difference lies in "concealed discriminations". These concealed discriminations are more dreadful. The New York Times and other mainstream media classified and analyzed this kind of invisible and unfathomable but actually existing concealed discriminations.

First kind of concealed discrimination: "political color spectacles"
Current US Secretary of State Colin Powell was once one of the US presidential candidates enjoying high expectations after the first Gulf War, the US most influential Newsweek, Time, New York Times and other mainstream media even publicized Powell as the first black president of the United States. However, what let the political analysts down was at the final moment when presidential candidates made their appearance one after another, Powell declared his withdrawal from rivalry on the ground of "his wife's opposition"! After a number of years, insiders disclosed that Powell quitted because both his wife and Powell himself were worried about racial "political color spectacles". It is not only the blacks that are subject to "political color spectacles", the lifetime of frustration of Chinese descendants in the American political arena is also a case in point. After the occurrence of the "September 11" incident in 2001, political discrimination against descents of the Arabic race has been on the increase.

Second kind of concealed discrimination: "invisible ceiling"
In the United States, promotion for the coloreds is much more difficult than for the whites, the proportion is very low for the coloreds to assume important and high-ranking posts. Of course I do not mean there is none, for example, in George W. Bush's team, Secretary of State Powell and National Security Advisor Rice are both blacks. These rare and precious figures serve as "evidence" proving that there is no racial discrimination in the United States. However, the overwhelming majority of US governments and leaders at various levels are whites, the great powers over US political, economic, military and cultural fields are held in the hands of the whites, this is an undeniable fact.

Third kind of concealed discrimination: "racial discrimination in school campus
Campus violence in the United States is known worldwide, it is little wonder that racial discrimination in the campus is also very serious. Almost no children of newly migrant Chinese being free from bullying in the campus. The reasons for this are: these children are small, weak and vulnerable to humiliation; Chinese families teach their children to be modest and forbearing in their childhood, to be obedient, keeping the rules, not belonging to the type of people "fond of bravery and fighting"; many of the Chinese students are excellent in studies and behavior, they are often commended in public by their teachers and so are "hated out of jealousy".

Fourth kind of concealed discrimination: Police and judicial departments have racial prejudice in law-enforcement
In the United States, the proportion of black people put in prisons or sentenced to death is obviously higher than the whites. In prisons in various states, about 47 percent of the prisoners are black people, and 16 percent prisoners are descents of Latin Americans. According to an investigation report published by the United Nations, in the United States, of those committed the same crime, the blacks and coloreds are often given punishments two to three times heavier than that meted out to the whites. Black people sentenced to death for killing the whites are four times more than the whites sentenced to death for killing black people.

In recent years, large-scale social conflicts triggered by US racial discrimination had often occurred in 1992, the large-scale racial conflict triggered in Los Angeles by a white policeman who beat up a black driver resulted in a toll of 59 deaths and 2,300 injuries; in October 1996, in Florida a white policeman killed a black driver, a riot ensued there which resulted in 15 injuries; in February 1999, a black man, named Diyaluo, was shot dead in New York by four white police officers, but the murderers were acquitted of a crime, hundreds of thousands of black people staged gigantic protest activities; in April 2001, a black youth in Cincinnati was shot dead by a white policeman simply for violation of traffic rules, which triggered large-scale racial violent conflicts; on June 17, 2003 in Benton of US Michigan State, a black motorcyclist died in a traffic accident as a result of the hot pursuit by a policeman, this incident caused riots in Benton, this forced Michigan State to send out a large police force for suppression and impose a curfew.

Fifth concealed discrimination: racial discrimination in daily life
A research jointly completed by professors of the Business School of Chicago University and the Massachusetts University of Science and Engineering shows that if the name in the resume of a job-seeker sounds like that of a white person, then he will get 50 percent higher opportunity of response from the employer than the name of a black person with the same qualification and experience.

In light of Boston Global Daily and Chicago Tribune employment ads, the professors sent out more than 5,000 resumes asking for jobs. They discovered that with an average 10 resumes for jobs sent out by the "white persons" they "created" could receive one response-either in the form of telephone, or letters or e-mails; whereas the "black" applicants with the same qualifications could receive only one response to every 15 curriculum vitae.

By People's Daily Online
By Boondock Saint
Interesting piece, no doubt somewhat slanted to scare off would be emmigrants.

I cannot speak for the entire nation, but I can give my personal experience with different folk here in the US.

I am white, I work for an Iranian born Muslim. My immediate supervisor is a Phillipino born woman, she drives three cars, an escalade, a bmw and a rav-4. My co-workers are a three Americans and one Iranian born woman.

This morning I read an article in ESPN about two young black men who are room mates in the midwest. Their apartment is decked out with expensive stereo equipment, a big screen tv and every video game machine under the sun. One of them at 19 purchased himself an escalade.

I turn on the tv and can see wealthy black folk just as much as wealthy white folk.

I can listen to black politicians and white politicians and know they are both lying to me.

I know that the nearest high end university is primarily made up of Asians and Indians (not native tribes, proper India). I know that the majority of white students who apply to that school do not make it in, because of grades and money (ie- not having it).

So, what I hear and read from the media and certain political officials is that the white man is still holding the black man and every other man down while he eats the pie himself. But ... what reality tells me ... is a very different story indeed.
By DTguitarist99
Today 40 years after the publication of Martin Luther King's speech, the blacks and descendants of minority nationalities remain to be second-class citizens subject to different degrees of discrimination on political, economic and education problems. Compared with 40 years ago, the greatest difference lies in "concealed discriminations". These concealed discriminations are more dreadful. The New York Times and other mainstream media classified and analyzed this kind of invisible and unfathomable but actually existing concealed discriminations.

In other words the people who want to attack America by calling it racist are having to dig deeper and deeper to find the few shreds of racism left in this country. What better way to call America racist than to claim it has "concealed discriminations," which of course can't be proven or disproven?

First kind of concealed discrimination: "political color spectacles"

Have you considered any other reason there aren't many minorities in politics? Like maybe they have other interests? Its obvious that there is no one preventing minorities from being elected to office, because there are already minorities in congress and elsewhere.

There aren't many whites in the NBA...would you call that racism?

Third kind of concealed discrimination: "racial discrimination in school campus

This one is total BS. There is no evidence offered about Chinese students being bullied, this could be made up for all I know. Even if it were true, its kind of lame to call America racist based on the actions of a few schoolyard bullies.

Fourth kind of concealed discrimination: Police and judicial departments have racial prejudice in law-enforcement
In the United States, the proportion of black people put in prisons or sentenced to death is obviously higher than the whites. In prisons in various states, about 47 percent of the prisoners are black people, and 16 percent prisoners are descents of Latin Americans. According to an investigation report published by the United Nations, in the United States, of those committed the same crime, the blacks and coloreds are often given punishments two to three times heavier than that meted out to the whites. Black people sentenced to death for killing the whites are four times more than the whites sentenced to death for killing black people.

It is debatable that the death penalty is racist, depending on which study you look at. A 1991 Rand corporation study found that white murderers received the death penalty more often than non-white murderers. Of course the fact that more black people are in prison is due to the fact that more black people commit crimes. It is not racist to say that, just the truth.
By Comrade Ogilvy
So, what I hear and read from the media and certain political officials is that the white man is still holding the black man and every other man down while he eats the pie himself. But ... what reality tells me ... is a very different story indeed.
While you may notice this in New York city, where society is more progressed (in some respects) and more diversified, other parts of the country fail to hold true to your observances. Theres many a town in the south (and other places as well) still divided by railroad tracks, where property value continues to devalue as blacks move in and whites move out. New York city might be a world unto its own, but its completely unrepresentative of America as a whole, the same goes for LA.
By Boondock Saint
Which is why we need to change all the backwards folk that live between NY and LA.

I mean what the hell is wrong with the people in this nation?
By Comrade Ogilvy
I think that some blacks are their own worst enemy, and that some social programs that were supposed to help actually did more to retard black peoples development socialy and politically than any Grand Dragon of the KKK, or racist judge could ever have hoped to achieve.
By Comrade Ogilvy
...and partially the way the welfare system was setup. A lot of it is decided by their personal decisions and life choices but some programs did not help matters any. Iv'e read where there were more whites than blacks on welfare but I don't know proportinately how true that is. I don't know how much the welfare system plays into it now but I think it's long term damage has been done in some cases. I am kind of in a rush right now so I will explain why I think this way when I have more time.

As far as China goes, I think any nation that suppresses political speech with violence, has forced abortion and commits genocide in Tibet and religious suppression through torture and murder does not really have much to say about anything in the human rights department... just like farts in the wind. lol
By Nox
Am I the only person who ever read the King speech where in the early 1960's he addressed the fact that 12 percent of the population committed 28 percent of the crime.

God ... I must be racist ... I keep getting confused by facts.

Nox

Re: Why do Americans automatically side with Ukra[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Godstud did you ever have to go through any of t[…]

Gaza is not under Israeli occupation. Telling […]

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/178113719[…]