Crime! - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Freedom
So like ... Alaska and Hawaii not being part of the US?

I gotta show this quote to the blokes at my other forum ...

Fine...when England owned Hong Kong did they use crime statistics from their to add into their own crime statistics? Or India etc? Jesus Christ..sigh...and no Scotland is not like Alaska as Scotland is a country and not a state. They have their own Parliment, their own sports teams.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/special_rep ... 382765.stm

British queen opens new Scottish Parliament

Queen Elizabeth II urges the Scottish Parliament to exercise wisdom in using its new power (747K/55 sec. AIFF or WAV sound)

July 1, 1999
Web posted at: 10:05 a.m. EDT (1405 GMT)

EDINBURGH, Scotland (CNN) -- Britain's Queen Elizabeth II opened Scotland's first Parliament in three centuries Thursday, expressing her trust in its members to exercise their powers wisely.

"I have trust in the good judgment of the Scottish people," Queen Elizabeth said. "I have faith in your commitment to their service, and I am confident in the future of Scotland." (872/60 sec. AIFF or WAV sound)

The opening of Scotland's Parliament follows the establishment of a less powerful lawmaking body in Wales and comes ahead of a promised local government for Northern Ireland. Those assemblies are symbols of a decentralized United Kingdom, with power shifting away from the central government in London.

The Parliament has power to raise taxes and make law in a wide range of areas, including education, legal matters, local government and health.

England and Scotland were united under the British crown in 1603, and have been ruled through a single Parliament since 1707. Scottish nationalists -- actor Sean Connery is perhaps the best-known -- see Parliament's opening as the first step toward breaking those centuries-old ties.

The queen, who appeared without the formal robes and crown of the head of state, made no reference to the nationalist goal.

Celebrations fill Scottish capital
Ceremonies leading up to Parliament's opening included parachute jumps and a 21-gun salute that boomed over Edinburgh, which was decked out with both the British flag and Scotland's blue and white flag of St. Andrew. The Duke of Hamilton, head of Scotland's top aristocratic family, brought the Crown of Scotland to the Parliament.

"Whatever happens from now on, I will regard myself as having been fortunate," said Donald Dewar, who will serve as the body's leader as Labor's First Minister.

Hollywood legend Sean Connery, an ardent Scottish nationalist, arrived in full Highland dress, after declaring the event was better than winning an Academy Award.

Queen Elizabeth told the Parliament's 129 lawmakers that Scotland has "a special place in my own and my family's affections," adding, "My prayers are with you all as you embark on this new and historic journey."

She was accompanied by her husband, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, and Prince Charles. Prime Minister Tony Blair, whose Labour Party will lead the new Parliament, canceled his planned appearance to remain at the Northern Ireland peace talks in Belfast.

Luagh all you like but Scotland is considered an independent entity and is in all but some formalities. At the time of taking of the poll Northern Ireland were handed similar rights to voting and given a parliment of their own etc This ended recently with Direct Rule being brought into place as the peace-process failed...Scotland isnt a fully independent state of course, but in nearly all statistics they are counted as being seperate from Britan.
By CasX
Percentage of people who were victim of a crime is a very wierd statistic. It may not be a very good guide to overall crime rates within a nation, because it excludes the number of crimes actually committed, as it does not take into account whether someone was a vctim once or twenty times. Also, are these numbers of crimes that have been reported? Proven? Solved? Or what...
By Brick
Yeah, what Cas said! Dammit Cas, you're so eloquent... Me on the other hand, well I awkwardly state my little point and noone seems to notice. :*(

But then someone like you comes along and people pay attention! Nobody ever listens to little old me... *drowns in unreasonable amounts of self-pity*

*Cas leaves, uninterested*
Cas? Cas, where are you going? Caaaas!

*sigh* Left all alone again... might as well start that English assignment.
*proceeds to do so*

Brick

PS. I promise never to make such excessive use of asterixes again.
By Enigmatic
Scotland is not an independent country. Scotland is historically, politically and geographically linked to the rest of the United Kingdom. I guess it could be described as a "semi-autonomous region" but, funnily enough, no Scot has ever claimed that status. Yes, it has its own Parliament with very limited powers, but it also sends (a disproportionately large number of) MPs to the United Kingdom Parliament in Westminster. India, Hong Kong and the other former colonies did not.

On the crime rates, bear in mind that reported crime is not the same as actual crime.
By TROI
I don't trust those statistics at all.

Luagh all you like but Scotland is considered an independent entity and is in all but some formalities. At the time of taking of the poll Northern Ireland were handed similar rights to voting and given a parliment of their own etc This ended recently with Direct Rule being brought into place as the peace-process failed...Scotland isnt a fully independent state of course, but in nearly all statistics they are counted as being seperate from Britan.

The Scottish parliament, is just an effort to decentralise things, Scotland is part of great Britain, they are not independant and they have no real wish to be. As it is just stupidity.

Matt
By Freedom
Well okay, so i was partly wrong, so Scotland is a semi autonomous place, thats okay.

As for the statistics being faulty, this is possible, but i'd like someone to post other statistics to the contrary.

Also the little segment solely on America, was from American government sources...i'll try and find the exact link, but it was a copy and paste job.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting: https://jackrasmus.com/2024/04/23/u[…]

I am not the one who never shows his credentials […]

As a Latino, I am always very careful about crossi[…]

Here are some of the the latest reports of student[…]