How to end school shootings - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Political Interest wrote:And why do children even need to learn about guns in the first place?

One day them children will have to become soldiers of the working class. They ought to be educated in all the skills they may need.
Political Interest wrote:In the Soviet Union people could not get access to guns very easily.

In rural Russia, guns were a part of life and ubiquitous. In the cities, you were armed and taught to march around for the state. I suppose you could argue that they had access to guns only in the way that Switzerland does in cities, but nonetheless the right-wing propaganda about guns in order to create an absurd gun culture is false.

Political Interest wrote:Most authoritarian states did not have and do not have liberal gun laws.

That depends on how you define authoritarian and liberal. Nonetheless, Hitler greatly increased private gun ownership.

Political Interest wrote:II know it is hard for Americans to understand this but most of the world does not let people have guns as freely as is allowed in the USA.

Most of the world isn't affluent enough to worry about it, really. That's imperialist capitalism at work.

Political Interest wrote:The fact is, there is no need for the American population to have guns. They are not fighting a national liberation war, they are not in a state of social upheaval or revolution. None of the conditions exist which would justify the circulation of firearms among the population.

Lenin wrote:An oppressed class which does not strive to learn to use arms, to acquire arms, only deserves to be treated like slaves. We cannot, unless we have become bourgeois pacifists or opportunists, forget that we are living in a class society from which there is no way out, nor can there be, save through the class struggle. In every class society, whether based on slavery, serfdom, or, as at present, wage-labor, the oppressor class is always armed. Not only the modern standing army, but even the modern militia—and even in the most democratic bourgeois republics, Switzerland, for instance—represent the bourgeoisie armed against the proletariat. That is such an elementary truth that it is hardly necessary to dwell upon it. Suffice it to point to the use of troops against strikers in all capitalist countries.

A bourgeoisie armed against the proletariat is one of the biggest fundamental and cardinal facts of modern capitalist society. And in face of this fact, revolutionary Social-Democrats are urged to “demand” “disarmament”! That is tantamount of complete abandonment of the class-struggle point of view, to renunciation of all thought of revolution. Our slogan must be: arming of the proletariat to defeat, expropriate and disarm the bourgeoisie. These are the only tactics possible for a revolutionary class, tactics that follow logically from, and are dictated by, the whole objective development of capitalist militarism. Only after the proletariat has disarmed the bourgeoisie will it be able, without betraying its world-historic mission, to consign all armaments to the scrap-heap. And the proletariat will undoubtedly do this, but only when this condition has been fulfilled, certainly not before.
well.......here in lebanon almost every house owns atleast a gun in it .....
i remember a kid in my school was showing off a desert eagle when i was in the 9th grade.....and its totally fine....
and so far ..i never heard of shooting in schools......
anyone whether a student or an outsider knows that if he wants to start randomly shooting students in a given school ....will face atleast a good number of students and staff that not only have a gun on them but also trained to use it efficiently ..and that the moment he start shooting...others will start taking headshots at hem ....
so simply ...no one does it .....
Pants-of-dog wrote:As a child, I carried a folding pocket knife to school. From what I understand, this was not uncommon for people who grew up when I did. Most people my age had also fired rifles by the time we were twelve.

The reason we did not have school shootings was simple: we had never been taught that a mass shooting was a good way to solve problems.

No , believe it or not school shootings even predate the start of the American republic http://k12academics.com/school-shooting ... hZ0dVnD9J8. The news media just didn't widely report it the way they do now of days http://k12academics.com/school-shootings/history-school-shootings-united-states#.VhZ0dVnD9J8 .
swollow wrote:Every kid in school carries a baseball bat. BASEBALL BAT. You could EASILLY murder the Catcher or Ump playin' high school baseball, so what's your problem Lefties? Panties just got twisted too tight?

Can I stick nails on mine? If I become teacher, will I be able to carry something better like a grenade launcher for self-defense?
maz wrote:It would probably help to teach children to respect firearms instead of trying to brainwash them to believe that guns are intrinsically evil, or carry out active shooter designed to teach children to wet their pants and wait for the state to come by and clean up the mess after a shooter has done his deed.

Maybe even introduce firearm safety and training courses in high schools would be a good idea.

At one time at least America did just that http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/oem2002006143/PP/. It was called the Victory Corps. And in Switzerland , children are still trained in marksmanship http://stephenhalbrook.com/articles/swiss_teen_rifle_festival.html.
I think that a great deal of focus has been on more aggressive measures, rather than ones that involve teaching children (and teachers and staff) how to react during a school shooting. I do not claim to have all the answers so please bear with me. When it comes to preventing something, there is only so much you can control, and I think the same concept applies to the school shootings. Unless there are extremely stringent measures put in place (like body cavity search for every student) I think there will always be a possibility that a school shooting will occur.

It might be easy enough to think that arming more people will help deter school shootings, but this has not been tried or proven, so it is hard to stand by that conclusion. I believe that the best way to help end school shootings, or at least deter them, is to teach more people how properly react when the situation arises. This article I was reading (http://united-locksmith.net/blog/what-to-do-during-a-school-shooting) breaks it down in amazing fashion and I thought it was well worth the read.

It delves into weapons handling, security information, how to hide effectively and even how to aid authorities. I think that using the knowledge in that article and in a few others like it, we can find an answer that is close enough to end school shootings, without inciting more violence.
How to end school shootings:

give everyone a knife. Last one standing graduates.
The easiest thing to do would be to have a proper first world healthcare system in the US with free treatment for mental health issues. The US does not have a gun problem it has a mental health problem and a poverty problem. The shootings are symptoms of other problems in US society not problems in themselves independent of other things.
I think all kids should learn martial arts, not just how to fight but also how to respect others. So many children do not know how to respect anyone, not even themselves. It is such a shame but TV and games cannot teach you respect. School and parents do not teach them respect so it must be left to coaches and athletic teachers to train them to be more disciplined and more respectful.
MistyTiger wrote:I think all kids should learn martial arts, not just how to fight but also how to respect others. So many children do not know how to respect anyone, not even themselves. It is such a shame but TV and games cannot teach you respect. School and parents do not teach them respect so it must be left to coaches and athletic teachers to train them to be more disciplined and more respectful.

I agree with this. Schools should encourage boxing, wrestling, and martial arts competitions. One on one competition is a great way to learn respect for one another.
One Degree wrote:I agree with this. Schools should encourage boxing, wrestling, and martial arts competitions. One on one competition is a great way to learn respect for one another.

Wow, we actually agree on something. Wow! :eek:

I also think students should learn gardening and how to care for a bonsai. That way they can learn patience and kindness towards nature and to others.

And, they should be exposed to many different cultures and religions starting from kindergarten to high school. They need to see that the US is just one country in a big world and we co-exist with other nations.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

So the new aid package has given Joe Biden some le[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Glad you are so empathetic and self-critical and […]

The more time passes, the more instances of haras[…]

It turns out it was all a complete lie with no bas[…]