Why individuality is evil, and conformity is good - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Albert wrote:No man, why don't you leave and establish your gay progressive liberal paradise some place else, you can have the Muslims all you want there as well. Leave all the normal people in peace.

I'm perfectly happy in this gay progressive liberal paradise called New York City.

You're welcome to Alabama if you want it.
LV-GUCCI-PRADA-FLEX wrote:We are tired of conservative immigrants with backwards religious beliefs. Except Muslims, they can stay.

Left-liberal regression in a nutshell. :lol:
Scheherazade wrote:In the long run, excessive individualism is more dangerous than excessive conformity, even though ideally a balance would be ideal; as extreme individualism on the left leads to anarchy and deterioration, like in the fall of Rome, while extreme conformity leads to less personal freedom and economic progress, yet even those societies are still more moral and stable than the former.

Thought is an individual act. It is irreducibly unsocial, non-conformist. George Orwell explained this very clearly and indisputably in novel form in "1984." Conformity is non-thinking. Fine for ants, not so much for people. See your local Muslim feudal theocracy or North Korea for details.
Igor Antunov wrote:
I think the most stable and efficient form of governance and subsequent core of great societies is the authoritarian republic where a clearly defined domestic elite is allowed to participate in the political process and where the concept of barbarian/incompatible cultures exists to safeguard against bastardization.

Specifically, then, you are advocating Confucianism? I hardly think V. Putin would approve.
anasawad wrote:Actually no, democracies are usually better.
For stability, it has many factors effecting it and freedom is only one of many.
Having a democracy isn't enough to keep the nation stable. And having a dictatorship is also not enough to keep it stable.

In the developing world, dictatorships tend to be more stable than democracies. And whether we like it or not, stability is very important to economic and social development and therefore sometimes dictatorships provide this stability.
Igor Antunov wrote:China is the closest example. It makes me wring my hands, at how inefficient and wasteful the Australian government is. I have been involved in the paper trail for roadworks around here. $50 million for a 3km stretch of road filled with potholes the year after? 30 years to build a train platform? Trash. Even Austria was far beyond this, it still had that industrial spirit. Once a country loses it's propensity for physical creation and infrastructure expansion, it is basically dead. It can no longer compete where it matters. It cannot determine the future.

Degenerate regimes like this one are short term affairs, designed to trade potential for short term comforts. I look forward to the rule of my PRC overlords. Soon.

You realize that China is even more government, even more corruption, even more inefficiency? China only really started to explode economically when it privatized a lot of its economy beginning around 35 years ago, and increasingly in the 90's. How many millions did Mao's inefficiency kill? The USSR was so damned corrupt and inefficient that it helped destroy itself.

If you want efficiency, whether we like it or not, look to the markets. They only care about profit: increasing revenue and reducing cost. You're also insane if you embrace dramatically increasing the power of those who have a monopoly of violence over you.
Unthinking Majority wrote:No truly creative thought was ever conceived by people who conformed.

Everybody conforms to some degree. Do you follow the law? Do you put on nice clothes when you leave the house? Do you take a shower? Are you polite?

Creativity and conformity are not mutually exclusive. Sometimes the most creative people are driven by a desire to be like those they admire.
Conformism and individual expression can exist in perfect harmony. Today individualism reigns supreme over most of the Western world. And it is not even really individualism because it carries with it its own imperatives and trends that it forces everyone to accept in the name of tolerance and freedom. The rampant individualism in the West is actually boring. It is the freedom to choose between fifty different types of materialism and various alternative lifestyle choices. Meanwhile I am not free to choose any other ideology other than liberal capitalism. For a materialist and a merchant individualism is a paradise on earth, but for an idealist or romantic individualism is boring and drab.

It is important to give people the right to choose their beliefs, their ways of dressing and their own individual life choices, but there is also the need to maintain social cohesion and appropriate codes of behaviour.

Women who wear niqab are condemned for not conforming to individualism but then it is perfectly acceptable to hold sex parades down city centres and that is considered an expression of individual choice.
LV-GUCCI-PRADA-FLEX wrote:Everybody conforms to some degree. Do you follow the law? Do you put on nice clothes when you leave the house? Do you take a shower? Are you polite?

Creativity and conformity are not mutually exclusive. Sometimes the most creative people are driven by a desire to be like those they admire.

Yes everyone conforms to a degree. But among everyone, there's people who conform more and conform less. Some people are just mindless drones addicted to pop culture and the latest fads.

I don't really think there is a fundamental diffe[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

This is because the definition of "anti-semi[…]

I want the Colleseum and Circus Maximus back to e[…]

her grandfather wanted to destroy USA SO why did[…]