Yes, people really are turning away from democracy - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

garrulousunlawful wrote:on the contrary, its about tilting the balance of power.

Seriously, this will inevitably generate bullies who would squish the losers. The fact that you are not in this mindset doesn't mean that there won't be any, because the probability of having careerists is quite high.
garrulousunlawful wrote:good , I hear you, you're very passionate about being a slave. If thats what they call the mind set then im not in it, no.

Acknowledging the existence of slave-masters doesn't mean one wants to be a slave. On the other hand, those denying it tend to end up (unwillingly) as one. Good Luck.
Patrickov wrote:Acknowledging the existence of slave-masters doesn't mean one wants to be a slave. On the other hand, those denying it tend to end up (unwillingly) as one. Good Luck.

oh so you think youll be one of the masters eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

yes the Rothschild & Rockefella family will be re-leaved that you are there to support them, im sure they were beginning to get worried :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is a hint of hysteria in that article, e.g. equating anti-establishment with anti-democratic. I'm also not sure if we should expect the same support for democracy over time, especially considering that many people - arguably rightly - get the impression that in many democracies today their wishes and concerns will be ignored by establishment parties who will also do everything to prevent anti-establishment parties from having any influence.

The research is still interesting but the why would be even more so.
As you might have guessed, I don't see it this way. The anti-establishment parties do not question or challenge our democratic institutions and customs. They do nothing more but question and challenge the policies of establishment parties, which, I might add, is actually a vital ingredient to any functioning democracy.

I consider the term anti-establishment as it is used today to be largely self-serving. Similar to the term populist - which is defined among other things by being anti-establishment - it's used for the most part as a synonym for "dangerous right wingers".
I think democracy is a good government to keep people happy. However it does so through illusions and once the illusion is broken, people go from being happy to being extremely unhappy and cynical. This cannot be seen anywhere more clearer than America. During the days when Americans were extremely nationalist and American exceptionalism was at it's peak citzens were very proud and happy. However in recent years, as the internet was becoming a more and more integral part of American's lives, as news of what America was doing outside it's borders came up, as it became harder and harder to cover up scandals, nationalism died down and American exceptionalism became harder to justify. This is the true killer of democracy, not liberalism, not conservatives, but an utterly unhappy, illusion-broken population.
However in recent years, as the internet was becoming a more and more integral part of American's lives,

These feelings were common before anyone even dreamed of an internet. Remember the 60's? The disillusionment is not with democracy, but with the corruption of democracy. Abandonment of the rural communities is certainly part of it, but so is lobbyist, corporations as political players, boycotts, etc. being used for determining which laws will be passed instead of the 'will of the people'.
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:As you might have guessed, I don't see it this way. The anti-establishment parties do not question or challenge our democratic institutions and customs. They do nothing more but question and challenge the policies of establishment parties, which, I might add, is actually a vital ingredient to any functioning democracy.

Well populists do get carried away and undermine the institutions of their countries, you can see that with Trump refusing secret-service protection, dissing the CIA, saying that "I will accept the elections results only if I win" and quite possibly other American institutions that he feels are upset with him instead of simply doing their job. I have also seen that in Greece with Tsipras questioning the Constitutional Court decision against his attempts to 'refurbish' the TV channel area. And these are simply issues that I have come across, I'm sure if one researches every country he will find plenty of examples where this takes place though I must admit that the British are evidently more loyal to their institutions & procedures than others and would take a lot more for them to entertain such thoughts compared to other people who can jump the gun immediately but if one looks around he will British examples as well. That does not mean that establishment parties do not do that, they do indeed and at that point they too become populist in this regard.
Are people really turning away from democracy or just waking up to the fact they don't really have true democracy coupled with the fact that most have not experienced the existing alternatives. Perhaps the realisation has also kicked in that slavery was not abolished, but merely extended to everyone under the guise of equal opportunities
Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Glad you are so empathetic and self-critical and […]

The more time passes, the more instances of haras[…]

It turns out it was all a complete lie with no bas[…]

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]