Best documentaries. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By anarchist23
What do you consider to be the best documentaries that you have ever watched?
The two most memorable documentary films on my mind would be The Act of Killing and Grizzly Man. The Act of Killing focuses on a man named Anwar, and some of his old death squad buddies, who all took part in murdering thousands of people each during the state-sanctioned, US-backed killing in the 1960s of over one million civilians in Indonesia: ethnic Chinese, suspected Communists, other minorities, political opponents, etc. The film is surreal because Anwar largely lives in his own private fantasy world where he sees himself as a hero and he literally fantasizes about how the literal thousands of people he helped personally kill are grateful to him for having killed them and having "saved" their souls. He and a number of his old buddies reenact various scenes from memory when they tortured people to death. There's a particular moment in the film where Anwar actually realizes the gravity of all his actions, and his reaction makes it all the more disturbing in a film that is already disturbing enough.

Grizzly Man is about an animal rights activist who spends months at a time over the course of many years trying to live among grizzly bears in Alaska, and ultimately pays the price for his stupidity, along with his girlfriend who didn't want to be there. It offers a fascinating glimpse of up-close encounters with the bears in footage he took and a lot of it is pretty stunning. It's directed by Herzog and it's one of his more memorable ones to me.
^
I can't get The Act of Killing in English..
Am watching Grizzly Man at the moment and it looks good.

Royal Babylon: The Criminal Record of the British Monarchy.

This is excellent documentary and if you haven't seen it you're missing out, without a doubt.
It's produced and narrated by the anarchist, artist and author Heathcote Williams...
By Seeker8
John Pilger documentary "The coming war on China" was good.

Also "Making a Murderer" was a very good American documentary.

"American Radical - The Trials of Norman Finkelstein" was good too. What an amazing man.
followthemonkey wrote:John Pilger documentary "The coming war on China" was good.

I saw extracts last week and it looks good. Pilger has written some good stuff in his time.
His book "Tell Me No Lies" which is a compilation of various investigative reports by him and other journalists is excellent. In it is a piece on Cambodia, when Pilger entered Phnom Penh, just after the Vietnamese Army had liberated it, is unforgettable.
By Heisenberg
Not sure if it counts since it's a series rather than a film, but Planet Earth is probably my favourite documentary ever.

I also like most of Louis Theroux's output. :D
SueDeNîmes wrote:HyperNormalisation

Watched most of this yesterday after having a couple of pipes, it was surreal as fuck.
Will finish it off today.

Any more good documentaries PoFoers?
Another good documentary winning BAFTA for Outstanding British Film and an OSCAR winner for Best Documentary..
"Man On Wire" about this French guy who tight rope walked between the twin towers of the WTC.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

This post was made on the 16th April two years ag[…]

Thank goodness saner heads and science is prevaili[…]

4 foot tall Chinese parents are regularly giving b[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]