Cultural assimilation - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

User avatar
By AFAIK
#14789923
I think attitudes have hardened and the rhetoric is more acidic but I was curious about the specific law mentioned in the mail.
By Rich
#14789962
QatzelOk wrote:In Quebec (as opposed to English Canada), integration (assimilation) involves a mastery of the French language, and the inclusion of other groups (including Quebecois) into the network of friends, life-partners, co-workers and neighbours.

In Quebec, there IS a local culture to integrate into. Or to opt out of,

Its funny but when ever you've talked about Quebec, I've always had a spooky sense of deja vu. Then it suddenly clicked, it was called the Garden of Eden when I grew up. And to think that silly, cynical me had always imagined that it was a mythical paradise not an actually existing place.
User avatar
By Godstud
#14789966
Nice one, Rich. That's exactly what it is, in Qatzelok's mind, that is.

In reality, it's the same thing, as everywhere else in Canda, but they speak French.
User avatar
By QatzelOk
#14790943
Godstud wrote:Nice one, Rich. That's exactly what it is, in Qatzelok's mind, that is.

In reality, it's the same thing, as everywhere else in Canda, but they speak French.

The three things that define a culture are : a distinct language, history and religion.

So while QC has its own language, history and religion, the rest of Canada is basically a bunch of mercenaries who consume stuff (like the USA, Australia and New Zealand).

In countries that are just made of disparate mercenaries, there's no culture to gain, but you're expected to lose the culture you show up with... just like all the Metis, First Nations, and Irish did.

Assimilation into a cultureless blob leaves you... cultureless.
User avatar
By Godstud
#14791004
Language? French . I'll give you that, all speak fluent English, and a great many people speak French, so it's not that unique.

History? Same as most of Canada. Colonization and then immigrant history.

Religion? Same as the rest of Canada. Predominantly Christian.

Your attempts to make Canadian French people special, is just sad and pathetic.

You're cultureless, then, Qatzelok, since you're no better than the rest of Canadians, except that maybe you bitch and moan a lot more, than most.
User avatar
By QatzelOk
#14791171
Godstud wrote:Language? French . I'll give you that, all speak fluent English, and a great many people speak French, so it's not that unique.

History? Same as most of Canada. Colonization and then immigrant history.

Religion? Same as the rest of Canada. Predominantly Christian..

Culture is defined as a unique history, language, legal system, and religion. Quebec has all of these. Canada doesn't.

Canada doesn't have the same history as Quebec. It has the same history as the USA. English Canada has the same legal system as the USA. English Canadians speak a dishwater boring dialect of American English. And for religion, Anglo-Canadians watch American TV and movies, and follow the same trends in what is politically correct.

Canadians, like Americans, are mercenaries who have assimilated into a fake commercial non-culture that changes with the needs of the business community.

What a sad waste of all the unique First Nations cultures that were destroyed by the Anglos. Replaced with.... nothing.
User avatar
By Godstud
#14791192
Qatzelok wrote: Quebec has all of these. Canada doesn't.
Nice lie. Keep telling yourself that. The facts all contradict this and you can provide no evidence to support such an absolutely stupid conclusion.

Incidentally, in case you weren't shit at geography(it appears that you are), Quebec is part of Canada.

Qatzelok wrote:What a sad waste of all the unique First Nations cultures that were destroyed by the Anglos.
:roll: More hate speech aimed at English speakers. Are all francophones such insecure haters?
By Decky
#14791652
What a sad waste of all the unique First Nations cultures that were destroyed by the Anglos.


Obviously the French colonists never did any of this, the natives just willingly gave up their land. :lol:
User avatar
By Godstud
#14791657
French colonists were the same as everyone else, but Qatzelok's trying to change the narrative to make it seem like they brought culture, when they simply brought oppression.
User avatar
By Ter
#14791675
I don't know if it is true or not, but I read somewhere long ago that the French colonists in America took local wives. Like the Portuguese did in Portuguese (Angola and Mozambique) Africa.
User avatar
By Godstud
#14791716
Lots of colonists had that practice. It didn't mean they respected the culture or customs of said people. Even the French aggressively pushed their religion on the natives of North America.

Incidentally, the Métis in Canada are a group of peoples in Canada who trace their descent to First Nations peoples and European settlers. That's not to say only the French, but many Europeans.

After New France was ceded to Great Britain's control, there was an important distinction between French Métis born of francophone voyageur fathers, and the Anglo-Métis (known as "countryborn"') descended from English or Scottish fathers. Today these two cultures have essentially coalesced into one Métis tradition, which does not preclude a range of other Métis cultural expressions across Canada.
#14791725
Despite Qatz's incorrect assertion that all the indigenous people were killed, they were not.

And to try and drag this topicwards, I would like to point out that Canada and Quebec embarked on a project to forcefully assimilate indigenous people into Canadian and Quebec cultures. This was called the residential school program, and indigenous kids were taken from their communities and forced to attend boarding schools. In these schools they were punished for engaging in anything that even seemed indigenous. The legacy of this abuse continues to this day, and is considered one of the greatest human rights violations in Canadian history.
By Decky
#14791777
Bringing up any child in a French fashion is a gross violation of human rights. Very sad.
User avatar
By QatzelOk
#14791908
Godstud wrote:French colonists were the same as everyone else...

This is completely false.

From the beginning of New France, Acadia, Montreal (Ville-Marie) and other francophone settlements were half native. Montreal (Ville-Marie) remained half native up until it was militarily attacked and taken over by the anglos who outnumbered francophones 40 to 1.

The Natives of North America were allies of the French who never wanted to take over the continent. The cultures of both the Quebec region and Acadia were hybrid cultures, and NOT European transplants.

The Anglos "won" all the wars because they started them against a tiny group of Francos who they could easily conquer. This is like when the USA attacked Grenada in the 80s, or when France-Britain-USA attacked Libya. It's not heroic, it's genocidal business-driven foreign relations.

And the Anglos were so racist and militaristic that they even attacked their own allies eventually. That's how Quebec ended up with so many Mohawks who originally lived in New York state. They had to leave because they were allied with Britain - the wrong military side of an inner-anglo war for business dominance.

Donald Trump is a great avatar for Anglo North America: equal parts stupid of history (who wouldn't be if they had the anglo history) and greedy beyond reason.

There is no culture to assimilate to in Anglo Canada, which is why it's easy to sell concepts like multiculturalism there. "Whatever destroys whatever's left of the local cultures" is what our clueless mercenaries have been trained to think.
User avatar
By Godstud
#14791931
:lol:

The Natives of North America were allies to the French AND English. Settlers to Canada were of EVERY European country.

I'm sorry, but you trying to create false narrative won't change the facts.

There is as much culture in Quebec, as the rest of Canada. You're a Frenchman who is extremely prejudiced against English-speaker, and extremely rude about it. You are the same as everyone else, Qatzelok. It's just that you live in Quebec. You are still Canadian.
User avatar
By QatzelOk
#14793318
Godstud wrote::lol:

The Natives of North America were allies to the French AND English. Settlers to Canada were of EVERY European country.

I'm sorry, but you trying to create false narrative won't change the facts.

Creating false narratives is what post-genocidal business interests do. These false narratives are the reason Anglos don't know much about their own history.

Inventing pleasant-sounding narratives is what has ruined most North Americans ability to say anything worthwhile listening to about politics. They don't know anything about it.

The Great Peace of 1701. There's a starting point for you to learn something about Canada's past. Then, you'll be ready for the Ethnic-cleansing of the Acadians.

Or are you more of a "History of Canada: From The Bay to Tim Horton's" type of car radio historian? :lol:
User avatar
By Godstud
#14793323
Qatzelok wrote:Creating false narratives is what post-genocidal business interests do.
Right. So when are you going to stop lying and making up bullshit history to fit your "French culture and people are the best" narrative? You're doing exactly what you claim to hate, you hypocrite. :lol:

Qatzelok wrote:Or are you more of a "History of Canada: From The Bay to Tim Horton's" type of car radio historian? :lol:
No more than you are.
User avatar
By QatzelOk
#14793353
Godstud wrote:No more than you are.

Actually, I actually have to read history for work.

I am actively engaged in reading history books, listening to history podcasts, and other type of research (texts) for my job. Plus, I've always had an interest in history.

But don't get me wrong: your "Know you are, said you are, but what am I?!" was very strong. Like a poor man's Kevin O'Leary. :lol:
User avatar
By Godstud
#14793357
I don't buy your "argument". I've read a great many history books, as well, and am interested in history, yet I don't hold the same biased views as you do.

Perhaps it's because of what you're reading as opposed to the real history that you don't particularly care for. You always seem to be making your own narrative.

Ending with an insult? :roll: My comment was in response to your ad hominem, as well. You do that often when people don't buy your "alternative history" and "alternative facts".
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8

You believe a lot of stupid things because you ar[…]

Really? I've been watching Charlie Rose since I w[…]

Trump's Latest Lie Is A Whopper

Donald's supporters frighten me. They chose an in[…]

Shameless, Qatzelok. Using a tragedy to push your […]