Man Dragged Off Plane VS United Airlines VS Police Who's At Fault? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

As a result of the incident, Dao suffered a concussion, the loss of his two front teeth and a broken nose which will require reconstructive surgery. The man was treated brutally because he's a Vietnamese refugee and he deserves to receive compensation. Dao studied at a medical school in Saigon during the 1970s and when Saigon fell, Dao and his wife fled the country on a boat.
Suntzu wrote:What is not mentioned is that the doctor had his license revoked, was a convicted felon and homosexual. I think his practice of medicine is now limited to two hours a week in an out patient clinic.
Absolutely irrelevant. The character of the person being beaten up is of no consequence, and you're trying to make the airline out to be the victim. That's simply disgusting. That's like blaming a rape victim for a rape. :knife:

He has a good lawyer, so United will pay for it's atrocious behavior.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr- ... 33b91b91c2

United Airlines Cites Wrong Rule For Illegally De-Boarding Passenger
Under a federal rule [14 CFR 253], commercial airlines are governed by a document known as a “Contract of Carriage” [COC], a legally binding contract which, among other things, protects the legal rights of passengers, and imposes legal duties upon carriers. United’s COC contains two distinct sections: Rule 21 entitled “Refusal of Transport,” and Rule 25 entitled “Denied Boarding Compensation.”

United is incorrectly citing the denied boarding compensation rule in its COC, and the federal rule upon which it is based [14 CFR 250.5], to justify requiring a passenger who has already been permitted to board and taken a seat to involuntarily disembark.

But that rule, as its title and history clearly establish, applies only if an airline wishes to deny boarding to a passenger, not to remove a passenger who has already boarded an airplane.

United’s Rule 25, as its title clearly implies, applies only to denied boarding. Thus, it uses the word “denied boarding,” and variants such as “deny boarding,” but says nothing about requiring passengers who have already boarded to give up their seats.

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/united- ... passenger/

United was wrong, and did it the wrong way. They deserve a hefty lawsuit and are already going to be boycotted by a vast majority of fliers, over this incident.
"United Airlines Changes Its Policy On Displacing Customers" ... no shit

Whatever the technicalities, this is a complete PR disaster; it not only makes them look like bully assholes (for enforcing a policy they've always had and people griped about but didn't rebel against) AND they bloodied the guy AND it was caught on video AND it is an issue to easily get logically outraged about (overbooking)

I mean, this probably wouldn't have had the traction if he hadn't tripped and hit his head very badly or it hadn't been on video. It was obviously brutally done, but they didn't grab the guy's head and purposely beat him senselessly into the wall like the LAPD.

The policy itself was somewhat stupid. Even if it worked on 99.99% of flights, eventually you're going to have one where not enough people choose to debark. To not have a contingency for that beyond forcing people off is dumb. To rely on 100% cooperation is just plain stupid.

The era of everyone having a cell phone taking video of everything. Orwell is shitting in his grave.
I don't understand how an airline can over book an aircraft. If said aircraft has 100 seats available for sale then you stop selling tickets when said 100 seats have been sold. Easy. Where does all this over booking rubbish come from?
Airlines don't have a huge profit margin, which is why they are obsessed with making seats as tiny as possible etc. They lose money all the time. People will still buy them because they have very little choice. They count on a few people not showing up or being willing to wait. They obviously have really bad ways to anticipate that, which is indeed dumb.
Diligent wrote:They were a bit...rough by the look of things. But it would be unfair to all the other passengers to make them wait because one guy stubbornly does not want to relinquish his seat.

They offered $800. They could have increased that number to find volunteers. Or they could have chosen another person.

I guess only Americans are sick enough to believe this is an appropriate response.
Zagadka wrote:Airlines don't have a huge profit margin, which is why they are obsessed with making seats as tiny as possible etc. They lose money all the time. People will still buy them because they have very little choice. They count on a few people not showing up or being willing to wait. They obviously have really bad ways to anticipate that, which is indeed dumb.

Then wouldn't it be sensible to make air travel cost reflective?
Well, assuming that FTW means For The Win, I don't think it's such a bad idea to charge what it costs for shit. Shit being, energy, water, air travel etc. Having said that, maybe I am not fully informed as to just how much stuff like that is subsidized and the perhaps very good reasons behind it.

Its easy to make arguments for prohibitive costs on air travel as it doesn't seem like a necessity. But then...will we set everything back or rather slow everything down too much..
As people always say, capitalism is voting with your wallet. These people charge what they can to make money. Apparently, this is what people are willing to pay. Not that I like it, but that's the system.
Suntzu wrote:. . . and both he and his wife are doctors along with a couple of his kids. He is used to getting his way. He thinks he can get rich off this and likely will.

This does not matter. He said he needed to get to his patients and that was his reason for refusing to leave. Some people like to arrive home on schedule. If I were in his place, I would be unwilling to get off the plane.

It is not about getting his way, it is about him getting compensated for his injuries and the emotional distress he suffered that day. You can see that he is in agony in the first video (would you enjoy being dragged away like he was? the men did not care if his head bumped into seats or people's bags on the floor.) and in the second video, he looks dazed and hurt. He is just lucky that he did not hit his head hard enough that it caused an aneuryism. Serious head injuries can be fatal.
MistyTiger wrote:This does not matter. He said he needed to get to his patients and that was his reason for refusing to leave. Some people like to arrive home on schedule. If I were in his place, I would be unwilling to get off the plane.

Patient. I think he is allowed to practice two hours a week in an outpatient clinic under the terms of his probation.
It is still irrelevant. The victim, and what he is or isn't, doesn't change what happened, nor does it make him any less the victim in this crime.

United will pay. They'll pay for their treatment of this man in legal fees and afterwards in lost business because they didn't come out and try to fix this in a satisfactory manner.
MistyTiger wrote:This does not matter. He said he needed to get to his patients and that was his reason for refusing to leave. Some people like to arrive home on schedule. If I were in his place, I would be unwilling to get off the plane.

It is not about getting his way, it is about him getting compensated for his injuries and the emotional distress he suffered that day. You can see that he is in agony in the first video (would you enjoy being dragged away like he was? the men did not care if his head bumped into seats or people's bags on the floor.) and in the second video, he looks dazed and hurt. He is just lucky that he did not hit his head hard enough that it caused an aneuryism. Serious head injuries can be fatal.

YOU MEAN YOU ACTUALLY EXPECT TO RECEIVE THE SERVICE YOU PAID FOR!?

AHHAHHAHHAHA! CUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Hamas are terrorist animals who started this and […]

It is possible but Zelensky refuses to talk... no[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster Hamas committed a terrorist attack(s)[…]

"Ukraine’s real losses should be counted i[…]