Capital punishment. For and against? Why? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Godstud wrote:Wrong, as usual.

Study: 88% of criminologists do not believe the death penalty is an effective deterrent
https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/study-88-c ... -deterrent

Yea, "criminologists" likely almost all of them got their ideas from ultra liberal college professors who are against capital punishment.

BTW - If a murderer is interviewed by a criminologist, do you really think they are going to tell the truth? Murderers all lie, every one of them. A murderer can say that the death penalty wouldn't have deterred them, and their comments are meaningless for a real understanding of the truth.
It wasn't simply one criminologist, and they spend time in prisons talking to convicts as well as time in the criminal justice system. You arguing against their experience and studies, is laughable.

Sorry, but your whole argument is an emotional one, and isn't well thought out.

People who plan to kill people, plan to get away with it, sot he death penalty isn't a deterrent, anymore than 25 years in prison is. A person who is so angry they are killing someone, is doing so without thought as to the consequences.

The "murderers all lie" argument is bullshit, and you know it. I am sure you have some study proving this, or is this just something you "made up" to support an extremely silly argument?
This question gets posted every year. :D
Here's what I said last time;

Some people are incapable of being reformed and rehabilitated. If a society has the resources and compassion to keep such a person imprisoned for the rest of his natural life then they can do so. If they prefer to execute such a person I wouldn't object although I feel standards of evidence should be higher in order to acquire a death sentence. An imprisoned criminal can be pardoned or exonerated at a future date but a condemned criminal cannot so reasonable doubt should be narrower for capital offenses.
Godstud wrote:It wasn't simply one criminologist, and they spend time in prisons talking to convicts as well as time in the criminal justice system. You arguing against their experience and studies, is laughable.

Sorry, but your whole argument is an emotional one, and isn't well thought out.

People who plan to kill people, plan to get away with it, sot he death penalty isn't a deterrent, anymore than 25 years in prison is. A person who is so angry they are killing someone, is doing so without thought as to the consequences.

The "murderers all lie" argument is bullshit, and you know it. I am sure you have some study proving this, or is this just something you "made up" to support an extremely silly argument?

My viewpoint on this is common sense.

BTW - ALL criminals in prison say they are innocent for an infinite amount of reasons. They sometimes admit to the crime, particularly when the evidence is overwhelming, but they will ALWAYS make some sort of excuse for their criminal behavior such as blame society, etc.
stephen50right wrote:My viewpoint on this is common sense.
No, it's an idiotic opinion not based in reality, and without factual support.

stephen50right wrote:BTW - ALL criminals in prison say they are innocent for an infinite amount of reasons. They sometimes admit to the crime, particularly when the evidence is overwhelming, but they will ALWAYS make some sort of excuse for their criminal behavior such as blame society, etc.
Did you see this in some stupid movie you saw? Most people in prison know full well that they are not innocent, and do not claim such. If you have evidence of this and evidence of your other idiotic claim, then present it.

AFAIK wrote:It seems one man's ignorance is another man's common sense. Or as Hitchens said;

That which can be asserted without evidence; can be dismissed without evidence
I presented evidence. You, and Stephen50right, are just opining.

Also, another argument against the stupidity of Capital Punishment:
US death row study: 4% of defendants sentenced to die are innocent
Deliberately conservative figure lays bare extent of possible miscarriages of justice suggesting that the innocence of more than 200 prisoners still in the system may never be recognised
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/ ... s-innocent
I was criticising Stephen not you Godstud. I noticed that you quoted studies full of evidence whilst he was the one who claimed his 'common sense' was a legit source.

Given the level of scrutiny and the thorough appeals process death row inmates go through I'd expect the level of innocents convicted is higher for those with lower sentences. There's no deadline for campaigns to meet when someone's sentenced to life without parole.
Godstud wrote:No, it's an idiotic opinion not based in reality, and without factual support.

Did you see this in some stupid movie you saw? Most people in prison know full well that they are not innocent, and do not claim such. If you have evidence of this and evidence of your other idiotic claim, then present it.

I presented evidence. You, and Stephen50right, are just opining.

Deliberately conservative figure lays bare extent of possible miscarriages of justice suggesting that the innocence of more than 200 prisoners still in the system may never be recognised

It is YOU who have seen too many Hollywood movies. You think murderers are nice guys such as Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption. You see "cleaned up" interviews with murderers on liberal TV shows and wonder how these people can murder. Let me tell you, these murderers are psychotics, or they wouldn't be murderers - that's about as simple and easy as I can explain it...you can believe it or not.
Godstud wrote:

I'm guessin' the figure is closer to 1% but it ain't zero.
Capital punishment has absolutely no place in the twenty first century.

"Imposition of the death penalty is arbitrary and capricious. Decision of who will live and who will die for his crime turns less on the nature of the offense and the incorrigibility of the offender and more on inappropriate and indefensible considerations: the political and personal inclinations of prosecutors; the defendant's wealth, race and intellect; the race and economic status of the victim; the quality of the defendant's counsel; and the resources allocated to defense lawyers."

-Gerald Heaney, former appellate judge
Pesky trial by the peers. Great how much you pick and choose what parts of the Constitution to follow (kinda like the Bible, I guess).

You would actually prefer... what? Just summary execution of anyone accused if the state has that hunch? Even just thinking about the state with that power... ugh.
stephen50right wrote:For.

Because despite the liberal biased studies on the subject, capital punishment is definitely a deterrent for career criminals from killing. It will also prevent most crimes of passion from occurring, but not all.

At the very least, it prevents brutal criminals from ever again murdering anyone else because there is always the possibility of them escaping from prison, and then killing again.

i would have to believe that many folks who got extremely angry, didn't carry out murder for fear of being executed or at the very least spending a long time in prison.

I would have to think that almost everyone at some point in their lives, for whatever reason, felt like doing something really bad to somebody else, and the consideration for consequences kept them from doing it. Therefore, capital punishment does work to prevent murder, including crimes of passion.

The murder rate is higher in the US than in Japan, Europe, England and Canada, amongst others. We don't have the death penalty. If the DP is such a good deterring force why is the murder rate in the US so high? Oughtn't the opposite be true?

Re: Why do Americans automatically side with Ukra[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@Godstud did you ever have to go through any of t[…]

Gaza is not under Israeli occupation. Telling […]

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/178113719[…]