Trump is absolutely right in reforming H-1B visa - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Suntzu wrote:Yeah, we need folks from India to make the U.S. smart again, just compare the U.S. and India. :lol:
Nice argument. Do you have any facts to back that up, or just making stuff up to prop up your fragile American ego?
Considering that the US have been importing scientists since the 1930s and have had a great number of European scientists going to the US and working for it in WW2 period and staying to work in its programs following that period.
Its safe to say that Americans weren't solely responsible for sending a man to the moon.
An Egyptian scientists, Farouk Al-baz comes to mind since he played a major role in landing the Apollo missions on the moon. And was the one to plan the first moon landing and train the astronauts.

I am not a geographer, but i doubt Egypt is in the US. Nor is Europe if 'm correct. :lol:

You're right on one thing thought @Suntzu, The US did put men on the moon, not Americans, the US government with scientists and engineers from all over the world. Including India.
That guess has a 99.9% chance of being entirely wrong.
Since in the period from WW2 all the way to the moon landing time, a large portion of the scientists in the US and specially the ones working for the government were from Germany, Ireland, Britain, France, India, and other countries as well. Since most left their countries during the war and went to the US either as refugees or migrants.
Just like the Manhattan project, atleast a simple majority of the scientists working for the US government in those few decades were foreigners.
And many in the period after it were the children of those scientists whom grown up to be scientists them selves and remain in the US, making them second generation immigrants.

Thats quite obvious actually just by looking at the names and looks of leading scientists in the US since after WW2. This is also why the US experienced a huge industrial growth during that period from the 30s and onward. being the farthest away from all the wars going on, most scientists and engineers migrated there or went as refugees.

There are actually quite a good number of books and essays written about this topic. Basically how European wars and the two world wars made the US into an economic superpower by directing a large sum of scientists and engineers towards it from all over Eurasia.
Sorry, i Forgot that Americans look Distinctly white, while Europeans and specially Germans look regular white. :knife:
You're right, All of them were Americans. And Europeans scientists didn't migrate to the US at all, and the US suddenly had a super bright generation in that period rising out of no where and revolutionizing industries all over.

And you do realize that most of the people in the control room in any space mission aren't engineers or scientists right ?
Rather only a small portion of them with the rest having all sorts of different jobs.
anasawad wrote:
You're right on one thing thought @Suntzu, The US did put men on the moon, not Americans, the US government with scientists and engineers from all over the world. Including India.

Exactly.

After my father got his Phd in Physics, NASA wanted to hire him. He met with at least one hiring manager but decided not to work for them.

I just found the ranking for the top 10 countries of the world. Hong Kong placed first for 2016. https://iq-research.info/en/page/average-iq-by-country

Business Insider places HK at 2nd and Singapore is 1st. http://www.businessinsider.com/the-10-s ... nce-2015-5
MistyTiger wrote:Exactly.

After my father got his Phd in Physics, NASA wanted to hire him. He met with at least one hiring manager but decided not to work for them.

I just found the ranking for the top 10 countries of the world. Hong Kong placed first for 2016. https://iq-research.info/en/page/average-iq-by-country

Business Insider places HK at 2nd and Singapore is 1st. http://www.businessinsider.com/the-10-s ... nce-2015-5

Yeah, when I got out of the army the NFL tried to recruit me but I turned them down.
Suntzu wrote:The U.S. doesn't need to import talent. This is just a ploy to drive down wages. Make then pay 150% of prevailing wage and see how many they use.

Absolutely right, there is no domestic skills shortage in tech. This is a lie propagated by companies to keep wages down. As we all ready know, Intel, Apple, and a bunch of other companies settled a class action suit after getting caught colluding to keep wages down.

The H1B program offers an easier way to do this. Especially since you can wrap it up in the politics of immigration over all. That is, you can start to call anyone racist that even mentions the idea of reducing H1B grants.
anasawad wrote:Sorry, i Forgot that Americans look Distinctly white, while Europeans and specially Germans look regular white. :knife:
You're right, All of them were Americans. And Europeans scientists didn't migrate to the US at all, and the US suddenly had a super bright generation in that period rising out of no where and revolutionizing industries all over.

And you do realize that most of the people in the control room in any space mission aren't engineers or scientists right ?
Rather only a small portion of them with the rest having all sorts of different jobs.

NASA engaged a host of Canadians too, when Diefenbaker killed the Avro Arrow.

This has been going on for a hundred years. We used to call it "the brain drain". My hubby used to be asked to work state-side over the phone or when he crossed the border, usually for the military.
Stormsmith wrote:NASA engaged a host of Canadians too, when Diefenbaker killed the Avro Arrow.

This has been going on for a hundred years. We used to call it "the brain drain". My hubby used to be asked to work state-side over the phone or when he crossed the border, usually for the military.

That turns out to be true. I had to look it up, never heard about the Avro Arrow and in the process learned about the Genie, atomic anti-aircraft missile.
Suntzu wrote:
Yeah, when I got out of the army the NFL tried to recruit me but I turned them down.

My father's story is true. He was studying Physics and working nearly full-time as a Research Assistant. After graduating, he applied everywhere. He would fly anywhere in the US for interviews...New York, Texas, Oregon etc. NASA likes people with Physics backgrounds. You can believe it or not but some men, like my father, are ambitious and they will keep searching for jobs until they find the right one. He was definitely not the type to study and work within a 50 mile radius of his home or why would he fly from Taiwan to the US? Island life made him restless.

He needed work especially because he was not just a Phd, he was a married man. And he knew that his tiny university stipend was not enough to feed 2 people.

Yes I was using the word fun, loosely , ironicall[…]

Trans people are just people. They have no less an[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

You should impose your own standards on yourself.[…]

No, I want you to be happy. I will be happy when[…]