Trump is absolutely right in reforming H-1B visa - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

I don't think you can find any opponent's arguments that makes sense. Someone may say, oh you say so since you don't plan to go to US. In fact, even if I do want to find a job in U.S., I can't accept a job with some $60,000 pay, in other words the higher salary threshold won't harm me.

We know that the current H-1B places have become so scarce that they use lottery to select applicants. The lottery is the most ridicules idea, as it just lacks a reasonable criterion and makes the visa program a game. The Democratic's answer is, to double the places. Does it solve the fundamental problem? We know visa speculators like Tata/Infosys are abusing the program with low quality workers. If you simply lift the cap, it just results in more visas from those speculators while genuine & highly qualified applicants still rely on lottery to decide their fates. That doesn't fix the problem but makes even more low quality workers flood the US job market.

By contrast, Trump's new policy just makes those senior engineers working for, say Microsoft/NVIDIA/Sony/Qualcomm easier to move to the US.

In fact the similar debate took place in Australia/New Zealand these days too. The lefts have to think more about the fundamental reason why most authorities & voters dislike low skilled migrant workers, before trying to convince us - We need low skilled migrant workers, the more the better to our country.
The difference is Labor parties in both Australia and New Zealand have long turned to anti-immigration, it's the "right" parties there favoring open-door policy.
Suntzu wrote:The U.S. doesn't need to import talent. This is just a ploy to drive down wages. Make then pay 150% of prevailing wage and see how many they use.

"drive down wages"? It would be right on Tata/Infosys. Do you earn more than those in Microsoft/Qualcomm?(I know one guy there earning $200,000)
Suntzu wrote:The U.S. doesn't need to import talent. This is just a ploy to drive down wages. Make then pay 150% of prevailing wage and see how many they use.

That would be telling...
blackjack21 wrote:That would be telling...

Surprised to know people in America even against talented immigrants. The focus of immigration debates in Australia/New Zealand is still on whether or not to import low skilled & low pay laborers, a completely different level.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Yes, the Canadian economy will benefit greatly from Trump's idea to ban the most skilled and educated immigrants.

You mean Muslim refugees/Indian visa speculators would surge to Canada? I haven't seen other decent migrants actually harmed by Trump's policy.
Suntzu wrote:One of the basic laws of commerce, supply and demand.

Yes, it is a basic law.

I have noticed that simple laws often do not fully describe complec situations.

--------------

Oxymoron wrote:their education is worthless, some curryversity.

Mmmmmm. Curry.

----------------

Sasa wrote:You mean Muslim refugees/Indian visa speculators would surge to Canada? I haven't seen other decent migrants actually harmed by Trump's policy.

Do you have any information concerning the acrual impact of this measure?
Pants-of-dog wrote:Do you have any information concerning the acrual impact of this measure?

It's reported that almost 3 quarters of H1B places are taken by India employers notably Tata/Infosys. Besides as everyone knows Trump generally restricts immigrants from Muslim countries / illegal migrants. If you are non of them, for example a highly skilled scientist/engineer with high pay working for a well-known decent employer not from Muslim countries, why should you flee to Canada?
Sasa wrote:We know that the current H-1B places have become so scarce that they use lottery to select applicants. The lottery is the most ridicules idea, as it just lacks a reasonable criterion and makes the visa program a game.

It's motivated by the idea that companies typically know more about their labour requirements than governments, which I find quite reasonable. Nevertheless, the government has authority to vary the definition of what a skilled worker is in broad terms - if you believe that low-skill workers are entering the market on these contracts then the issue is in the definition of high-skilled which you set and it needs to change (and, one would presume, if you want to create some sort of government vetting procedure you have this in mind already). The only real issue I see with the lottery process is that 1. you can stuff the box with many application from the same candidate, 2. the application fees are not being re-invested in compsci and engineering scholarships for Americans, as would probably be optimal.

Suntzu wrote:One of the basic laws of commerce, supply and demand.

Only holds if high-skill immigrants are pure substitutes for natives. The current level of empirical evidence suggests that the opposite is true, that immigrants are compliments to native labour and an increase in their numbers is typically associated with a boost to native income's at a metro level.
Canada will benefit, just like it is already from Trump's immigrant scares. Thank you, Trump.

Trump's ban on immigration could have an unexpected beneficiary: Canadian start-ups
Venture capitalists and angel investors in Canada said his executive order could cause highly educated immigrants — an important talent pool for fast-growing technology companies who need engineers, developers and salespeople — to seek work in hubs across the border, like Toronto and Vancouver, rather than in Silicon Valley.
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/03/trumps-b ... t-ups.html

H1B...

Keep it up Trump! Make American Dumb Again! :lol:
Godstud wrote:Canada will benefit, just like it is already from Trump's immigrant scares. Thank you, Trump.

Trump's ban on immigration could have an unexpected beneficiary: Canadian start-ups
Venture capitalists and angel investors in Canada said his executive order could cause highly educated immigrants — an important talent pool for fast-growing technology companies who need engineers, developers and salespeople — to seek work in hubs across the border, like Toronto and Vancouver, rather than in Silicon Valley.
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/03/trumps-b ... t-ups.html

H1B...

Keep it up Trump! Make American Dumb Again! :lol:

Yeah, we need folks from India to make the U.S. smart again, just compare the U.S. and India. :lol:
Actually you do. A large portion of US scientists are from India, Pakistan, Iran and east Asia.
Just look at your scientific institutions. NASA is a good example of your scientific community structure. Filled with Iranians and Indians.

Americans are actually not that important in fueling the "American" scientific community. They make a little add on to it, but not that significant since all the major ones and most of the discoveries and such are made by outsiders.

Uh no...both things are absolutely true. I am not[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Increasingly, they're admitting defeat. https://tw[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Handcuffed medics, patients with medical equipment[…]

These protests are beautiful. And again..the kids […]