Bill Nye - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Agent Steel
Why do I keep hearing about Bill Nye lately? I have no idea why he's in the news all the time or what he did to make everyone upset. I just keep seeing all these posts about how he's not a real scientist and whatnot.

Can someone fill me in on what the latest is in regards to him?
By MememyselfandIJK
@Agent Steel

He has recently been discussing social issues more often (i.e. gay marriage). It is not just Bill Nye, many scientists are speaking out in this direction (i.e. the Science March on Washington, People march for science, etc.). If you go into a public science lecture -- even if its something relatively removed from politics such as physics -- you will hear jokes about Trump and sympathy for those in Earth Science, or Biology as well as statements about cut funding.
By Dagoth Ur
He's speaking out, like a lot of other scientists, because reactionaries keep trying to call their biological essentialism / attempts to make trans people hate themselves more "science". And every time they do the right shit's in their pants raging about how their hateful assets aren't backed up by science like at all. And then attempt to act like they know more than people who are actual educated scientists.
By MememyselfandIJK
Rapperson wrote:
Which side is that?

What he means is that the Right are the ones who are making science a partisan issue by denying climate change, endorsing religion, and more. This is what has made it necessary for scientists to stand up and defend science and rationality in general.

Zagadka wrote:I think politics needs to be scientifically aware - not experts themselves, but at least have advisers. There are far too many issues at stake - watersheds etc.

I agree wholeheartedly. In general,[our politicians need to quit squabbling and focus on the stuff that matters -- Climate change, fixing the US wealth gap, Providing services to the disadvantaged (The absurd "Trumpcare" doesn't count), and providing justice to LGBQT, minorities (ethnic, religious, etc)
By Rapperson
MememyselfandIJK wrote:What he means is that the Right are the ones who are making science a partisan issue by denying climate change, endorsing religion, and more. This is what has made it necessary for scientists to stand up and defend science and rationality in general.

And the left hasn't? Laughable man. Haha!

By MememyselfandIJK
Rapperson wrote:
And the left hasn't? Laughable man. Haha!

So you expect the left follow suit and deny science as well? As if we haven't plunged enough into a theocracy!

Your refusal to address the issue at hand is what is truly laughable here.
By Godstud
You're being willfully ignorant, AgentSteel. Yes, The left doesn't deny facts and reality.

Do you hear the "Left" talking about climate change denial? Are they denying science and threatening to de-fund science to pursue religious dogma? No.

If you think the "Left" does this, then please provide and example. It should be easy.

He's an example of the right doing it.

Donald Trump’s Education Secretary Pick Wants To Make Christianity A Bigger Part Of Schooling
Religion plays a major role in the way Betsy DeVos thinks about education.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bet ... caa4d61c88

Trump's EPA Chief Denies the Basic Science of Climate Change
He has no evidence. He’ll successfully mislead people anyway.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... ge/519054/
By Rapperson
MememyselfandIJK wrote:So you expect the left follow suit and deny science as well? As if we haven't plunged enough into a theocracy!

Your refusal to address the issue at hand is what is truly laughable here.

Give me a break. The entire discipline of gender studies is fascism dressed up in pseudoscience. What is the political leaning there? Hint: it's not the right.
By Godstud
No, the right uses religion to do that. :knife:
By Dagoth Ur
MememyselfandIJK wrote:What he means is that the Right are the ones who are making science a partisan issue by denying climate change, endorsing religion, and more. This is what has made it necessary for scientists to stand up and defend science and rationality in general.

Lol I'm a woman but yeah that was the gist.
By Rapperson
If we are talking about the two sides of right and left, neither is in a position to look down its nose at the other on this issue.

As a further tidbit, Evolution was denied in the Soviet Union which actually led to crop failures.

Gender studied ignores Evolution to such an extent that it is grounds to call it Evolution denial.
By Dagoth Ur
lol no it doesn't. Like at all. But okay.

Also at the same time the Soviets were using Lysenkoism the Americans were teaching creationism.
By MememyselfandIJK
Rapperson wrote:As a further tidbit, Evolution was denied in the Soviet Union which actually led to crop failures.

Another tidbit: America is the only developed nation that still denies evolution

During much of the last century, in which country you could get arrested for teaching evolution?
► Show Spoiler

Dagoth Ur wrote:Also at the same time the Soviets were using Lysenkoism the Americans were teaching creationism.
Last edited by MememyselfandIJK on 07 May 2017 03:03, edited 1 time in total.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

So the new aid package has given Joe Biden some le[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Glad you are so empathetic and self-critical and […]

The more time passes, the more instances of haras[…]

It turns out it was all a complete lie with no bas[…]