Bill Nye - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Zagadka
Gender studies is generally bullshit*. But you can't put that in a package with geology or chemistry which do have applications that the political arms need to consult. And I'm not talking about climate change... simple things like, as I mentioned, watersheds, chemical environmental impact, etc necessitate the use of science in politics.

The trick is for politicians to not think that they are scientists.

*I'm not completely dismissing humanities (where I come from anyway), but applied science is totally different.
By Rapperson
Zagadka wrote:Gender studies is generally bullshit*. But you can't put that in a package with geology or chemistry which do have applications that the political arms need to consult. And I'm not talking about climate change... simple things like, as I mentioned, watersheds, chemical environmental impact, etc necessitate the use of science in politics.

The trick is for politicians to not think that they are scientists.

*I'm not completely dismissing humanities (where I come from anyway), but applied science is totally different.

They are different, but that doesn't mean one is less important than the other when it comes to politics. It can even be argued that Gender Studies has poisoned politics with fallacies more than anything else.
By Rapperson
Dagoth Ur wrote:lol no it doesn't. Like at all. But okay.

Yeah but no but uh, ok, what?

I'll admit I'm not a leading authority on Gender Studies. If you are in a position to correct me, please do.
By Zagadka
Rapperson wrote:It can even be argued that Gender Studies has poisoned politics with fallacies more than anything else.

And that argument is one I think we would agree on.

Side note, please combine replies from several people into one post.
By maz
I have been following the developments surrounding Bill Nye The Social Justice and his television show with great interest.

Many LGBT people commented that they were turned off by the Sex Junk episode and set back the goals of the LGBT movement back 20 years. People pretending to be atheists joked that they now believe in religion because something that evil could only be satanic.

Of course, the alt-righters were noting that this was more evidence of a Weimar America and called for the rise of a new Hitler. In all seriousness it probably did turn a small percentage of the left away from having pro-LGBT views.

All in all it appears to have had the opposite effect for what it was intended which was to win people over to their side.

It was so bad that Snopes, LGBT and tech websites had to come out in defense of Bill Nye when people found his show from 1996 where chromosomes determined sex and that there were only two possibilities; a 50/50 chance to be born either a girl or a boy.

Then the 1996 show on Netflix has this part edited out :lol:

Netflix: We didn't edit that Bill Nye episode

Disney and Netflix officials said Friday they're not sure why references to chromosomes and gender were removed from a 21-year-old episode of "Bill Nye the Science Guy," which is available now for online streaming.

"It sounds like it was a business-as-usual kind of clearance issue from ten years ago," a Disney official familiar with the matter told the Washington Examiner.

The official suggested the edit likely occurred about a decade ago when the company first made the kid's television program available online.

The 1996 episode, "Probability," originally featured a cast member saying, "I'm a girl. Could have just as easily been a boy, though, because the probability of becoming a girl is always 1 in 2."

"See, inside each of our cells are these things called chromosomes, and they control whether we become a boy or a girl, " she added. "See, there are only two possibilities: XX, a girl, or XY, a boy."

That segment has since been removed, and it is not available in the version that is now streaming on Netflix, the Washington Free Beacon was first to report.

A spokeswoman for the online streaming service stressed Friday that they had nothing to do with the edits.

"Netflix did not edit 'Bill Nye The Science Guy,'" Elektra Gray told the Examiner. "It was delivered to us that way by Buena Vista TV."

Buena Vista TV mostly shuttered in 2007. It is now part of the Walt Disney Company's much broader "Disney–ABC Domestic Television" group.

The Disney official told the Examiner they're still investigating the matter, and said they would likely have more information available next week.

Nye's new program, "Bill Nye Saves the World," which is exclusive to Netflix, departs from his old television show's position on gender.

"Gender is like sex, it's on the spectrum," Nye said in one of his newer episodes.

News that Nye's old television program has been edited for Netflix comes on the heels of the premiere of his new online show, which takes a very progressive approach to a number of issues, including climate change, world population and gender.

For some critics, the new Netflix show has been an unpleasant departure from Nye's old children's program, which focused exclusively on traditional and non-controversial science theories.
Last edited by maz on 08 May 2017 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
By Hong Wu
A guy I know who was an atheist converted to Christianity and built a shrine to the Virgin Mary in his garage after watching that video.
By maz
Deutschmania wrote:For those whom do not know what is being discussed concerning Bill Nye , this should clear things up http://www.snopes.com/bill-nye-gender-chromosomes/ .

Bill Nye said that gender is determined "by your chromosomes" during an episode of "Bill Nye the Science Guy."

False

I think that's called a strawman.

It was on Bill Nye's show where it was said that by an actress that sex is determined by chromosomes. The meme is mostly true, but the delivery was false.

I just checked out a few stories on Snopes and when it comes to controversial political topics, all they do is create a strawman question and "debunk" their own made up question.

For instance: FACT CHECK: Was a Protester Throwing Explosives Into a Berkeley Crowd Before She Was Punched?

I don't know anyone who said that she was throwing explosives or using the bottle as an explosive. People were just saying that she was armed with a bottle.
By Deutschmania
maz wrote:I think that's called a strawman.

It was on Bill Nye's show where it was said that by an actress that sex is determined by chromosomes. The meme is mostly true, but the delivery was false.

Sex and gender are two different things though https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/what-is-the-difference-between-sex-and-gender.html . And also it is now better understood that both sex and gender exists on a spectrum https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0xfzmLzFw48 .
By The Sabbaticus
How is it a 'spectrum' when they're listing rare syndromes and genetic anomalies as proof of this 'spectrum'? Also, are gender bending chemicals such as phthalates now something to be encouraged?
By maz
Deutschmania wrote:Sex and gender are two different things though https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/what-is-the-difference-between-sex-and-gender.html . And also it is now better understood that both sex and gender exists on a spectrum https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0xfzmLzFw48 .

Your article admits that the current ideas of gender are not even based on science, and that some people just recently invented the theories on gender and started repeating it so it must be true lol

But actually, transgender is indeed based on science because without the scientific advancements of hormone therapy there would be very few men who could pass as women.

An interesting video from a former Bill Nye fan, a leftist, who tried to find the science behind transgender, and the gender spectrum.

By Pants-of-dog
maz wrote:Your article admits that the current ideas of gender are not even based on science, ....

Yea, exactly. Gender roles are a social construct, and while they are based on sex (which is based on biology and therefore based on science), they are not biological classifications.
By maz
Pants-of-dog wrote:Yea, exactly. Gender roles are a social construct, and while they are based on sex (which is based on biology and therefore based on science), they are not biological classifications.

Yes, we know that gender roles are based on societal norms we've adhered to for many generations, which are currently being erased by propaganda, force of law or worse. We are now being fed a bunch of baloney that somehow the gender (not gender roles) have a basis in science. It appears that if they can't find a way to make it so, that they are just going to have to rewrite history or something.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ravishly/ ... 94820.html

While we shouldn’t run wild with this research quite yet, it’s an important finding — and one supported to some extent by past work as well.
By Pants-of-dog
maz wrote:Yes, we know that gender roles are based on societal norms we've adhered to for many generations, which are currently being erased by propaganda, force of law or worse. We are now being fed a bunch of baloney that somehow the gender (not gender roles) have a basis in science. It appears that if they can't find a way to make it so, that they are just going to have to rewrite history or something.

Please stop whining about how much of a victim you are.

Now, I have no idea where you got the incorrect idea that anyone ever said that "gender is based on science", whatever that means. But apparently you want to believe that progressives are saying this so that you can feel like a victim.
By maz
Pants-of-dog wrote:
Now, I have no idea where you got the incorrect idea that anyone ever said that "gender is based on science", whatever that means.

Huffington Post is pushing the idea, and I saw a person repeated spamming two similar articles suggesting there is some verified scientific proof of a gender spectrum.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ravishly/ ... 94820.html

There is some early evidence, then, that science is catching up with something many of us already assume, and for good reason: Gender identity exists on a scale, rather than in narrow dichotomized groups.

It's definitely a meme they are trying to force.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Please stop whining about how much of a victim you are.

I'm not a victim. People who believe that they can change their gender, many of whom are a confused children, are the victims.
By Pants-of-dog
maz wrote:Huffington Post is pushing the idea, and I saw a person repeated spamming two similar articles suggesting there is some verified scientific proof of a gender spectrum.

It's definitely a meme they are trying to force.

The article is about gender identity. Are you confusing this with gender roles?

I'm not a victim. People who believe that they can change their gender, many of whom are a confused children, are the victims.

Sorry, it must have been someone else whining about "being fed a bunch of baloney that somehow the gender (not gender roles) have a basis in science. It appears that if they can't find a way to make it so, that they are just going to have to rewrite history or something".
By maz
Pants-of-dog wrote:The article is about gender identity. Are you confusing this with gender roles?

No I am not confusing the terms.

I'm talking specifically about the idea of a gender spectrum, which had not been acknowledged until recently, which is said to be people to identify sexually, of which some people are trying to say has some basis science.

But at least Deutschmania posted an article which says that there is no scientific basis to gender ideology.

You were the one who introduced gender roles into the discussion for some reason.

And the concept of gender spectrum is very clearly targeted at children, who are the victims.

https://www.genderspectrum.org/quick-li ... ng-gender/

Russia banned this stuff for a reason.
By Pants-of-dog
maz wrote:No I am not confusing the terms.

Actually, you are just using the word "gender" and claiming that there is a contradiction because progressives supposedly claim that gender is social and biological.

Gender roles are social.

Gender identity is social and neurological and psychological.

I'm talking specifically about the idea of a gender spectrum, which had not been acknowledged until recently, which is said to be people to identify sexually, of which some people are trying to say has some basis science.

But at least Deutschmania posted an article which says that there is no scientific basis to gender ideology.

You were the one who introduced gender roles into the discussion for some reason.

And the concept of gender spectrum is very clearly targeted at children, who are the victims.

https://www.genderspectrum.org/quick-li ... ng-gender/

Russia banned this stuff for a reason.

Please define "gender spectrum". Thanks.
By maz
Pants-of-dog wrote:
Gender identity is social and neurological and psychological.

Most people believe that the gender issues people are experiencing are definitely psychological but according to some professionals, not neurological.

http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/appsych/opus/ ... evelopment

The Need for Neurological Answers

Currently, there is a significant lack of neurological evidence that defends or disputes the idea that the brain is sexually dimorphic, and if so, where exactly “gender” and “sexual” identities are located. The brain structures speculated to be the home of gender and sexual identity, are acted upon by hormonal activation at both puberty and prenatally. These activation periods are relatively well understood, yet they do not account for all of our gendered behavior. Further, genetic sex remains unaccounted for. If society and the medical profession insist on diagnosing the small percentage of the population that do not fit into assumed, socially constructed roles then evidence must be found to defend the belief that gender is neurologically determined.

Pants-of-dog wrote:Please define "gender spectrum". Thanks.

Why? It's some nonsense that was just invented a few years ago and that the LGBT establishment is trying to make into the latest trendy buzzword.
By Pants-of-dog
maz wrote:Most people believe that the gender issues people are experiencing are definitely psychological but according to some professionals, not neurological.

I don't care what "most people believe". Now, when I discussed gender identity, you then started discussing gender issues.

Why? It's some nonsense that was just invented a few years ago and that the LGBT establishment is trying to make into the latest trendy buzzword.

If it is nonsense, then why are you going on and on about it? If you complain a lot about it, argue that it is bad for children, and yet you don't even know what it is, maybe this is just you overreacting.

Is this what Bill Nye is saying that upsets you folks so much?

Since you are a white person in Canada, you are a[…]

You're all a buncha prudes. GET LAID!

By that definition, if you obtained a DNA a census[…]

Let me guess, this is going to be one of THOSE thr[…]