Why Do Westerners Hate Authoritarianism? - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

@Prosthetic Conscience

Hong Kong was in fact autonomous for a significant amount of time. In between being under British rule and being under Chinese rule there was a period of autonomy that Hong Kong saw. This was also the time where Hong Kong saw most of it's economic growth.
@Oxymandias, no, there has been no significant change in Hong Kong since the end of British rule in 1997. They have never had any more autonomy from the Chinese than they do now (the Chinese government sometimes makes vague noises about giving them greater freedom, but protesters say it won't make any real difference). Here's a summary of Hong Kong, especially since 1997: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-16526765

What you have now - eg the arrests of the booksellers - is the 'freedom' you think is better than UK, Germany or the USA (and, of course, you started off using the present tense - you obviously meant the current situation).
@Prosthetic Conscience

Oh, I think I was mistaken. I saw that Hong Kong was one of the most freest countries in the world but it's actually one of the most freest economies in the world. I apologize for my ignorance.

I have some problems in English regarding the tenses. It's a very different system from the one used in Persian.
I skipped a couple pages, but I would like to return to the philosophy.
Natural man, in my opinion, will make the right choices for a civil society. It is not his nature that prevents the right choices, but his willingness to believe experts have a superior view. This allows for domination by the few. It is society that convinces him of his lack of expertise in deciding his own society. Once you choose society then you must have experts, so society actually creates its own worse qualities. Only individuals who truly value their own natural worth, and the equal natural worth of all others, can create a just society. We only become lost when we doubt our own value. We allow ourselves to be propagandized and quit thinking for ourselves.
Prosthetic Conscience wrote:@Oxymandias, no, there has been no significant change in Hong Kong since the end of British rule in 1997. They have never had any more autonomy from the Chinese than they do now (the Chinese government sometimes makes vague noises about giving them greater freedom, but protesters say it won't make any real difference). Here's a summary of Hong Kong, especially since 1997: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-16526765

What you have now - eg the arrests of the booksellers - is the 'freedom' you think is better than UK, Germany or the USA (and, of course, you started off using the present tense - you obviously meant the current situation).

The change is subtle. While it's debatable whether a dictatorship is to be imposed, the Chinese Communist Party surely wants Hong Kong to be in a well-under-control situation. In that case, any dissent within the place is going to be harshly dealt with.

You can say anything about people like Joshua Wong, but at least they aren't doing something like the ISIS do -- they do NOT target ordinary people in their "violent" struggle. Some (if not all) CCP officials and supporters, on the other hand, take enmity -- and sometimes violence -- against pretty much everyone not willing to submit to the CCP.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Find Someone Who Loves You Like Israel Loves Att[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over mains[…]

So the evidence shows that it was almost certainl[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0pAf3aBt18 How […]