Medical professionals are our societies' most priviledged group - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

I just saw that medical student Lavinia Woodward of Oxford University in the UK won't be sentenced for stabbing her boyfriend because, "to prevent this extraordinary able young lady from not following her long-held desire to enter the profession she wishes to would be a sentence which would be too severe,” according to Judge Ian Pringle. She also won't be expelled from Oxford University because she is a talented student who has published multiple papers and presumably the safety of other students is secondary.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... avoid-jail

This reminded me of an article I read many months ago about doctors in USA getting away with sexual assault because hospitals and medical boards would rather protect them over and above their patients.
http://doctors.ajc.com/doctors_sex_abus ... rosite_nav

The ridiculous thing is that these perverts could easily go into research and continue to earn plenty of money and acclaim whilst molesting mice or whatever. The fact that they are entitled to their first choice of job regardless of how violent or rapey they are shows that they are more privileged than any other group.
What exactly do you expect? The only privilege that actually exists here in the real world is that of the rich over the poor. Of course someone studying at Oxford is allowed to stab whoever they like. The judge is rich, why would he sentence a fellow rich person? Courts only exist to defend the property of the rich from the the poor. Did you really think they are there to defend the public? How do you explain all the paedophilia, rape and corruption from our politicians getting swept under the rug 99% of the time?
^ What Decky said, This bunny boiler could have been studying any subject at Oxford, and the judge would still have set her free. The only privilege at work here is the privilege of the rich against the rest of society.
Well, if being sentenced prevents her from getting her license, the people she would treat would not get treated. Of course, it is pretty painful to make that argument in the context of a knife attack. Some kind of system wherein such a person could be temporarily restrained from having or getting a license, subject to various requirements, might make sense.
In the back of my mind, I think about what adjustments to the work and student visa programs will have on the medical industry. At least around here, doctors are extremely frequently children of immigrants (usually Asian). Even more come here, get degrees, then go home.
<<< client’s dreams of becoming a surgeon >>>

She sure was performing "surgery" with a knife on her boyfriend's leg now wasn't she? I have to wonder if this demented woman actually was aiming for something other than his leg?

In any event, she should never be allowed to become a surgeon. That practice is highly stressful and people's lives are at stake. It's quite clear that she doesn't have the temperament to properly do it.

I agree the judge's lenient sentence is not acceptable.
Her victim was a student at Cambridge so the, 'rich people get away with murder' analysis doesn't wash. Why isn't her rich boyfriend given justice? Why aren't the other rich students being protected from her? The money balances on each side of this prosecution and she's getting away with it because she's a brilliant medical student with a promising career ahead of her.
Reason 129 why I am glad that I didn't study medicine, as my mom wanted me to do. Doctors and nurses scare me sometimes.

Trusting a violent woman with a scalpel? Noooo way!

Nonsense. This young lady is clearly a kind-hearted misunderstood genius who wishes only to contribute her gifts to alleviate the suffering of humanity....

She is studying at Oxford because she is rich, she is getting leniency for the 'extraordinary talent' she might posses and the calculation of her worth for society in the future. One does not want to throw away all that investment unless one has to.

I am sympathetic of her (drugs, bad relationship) but can you imagine if her future patients get informed just before their life threatening heart surgery;

"Oh, by the way, your surgeon today has been convicted of attempted murder with a knife! Now, take deep relaxing breaths and count backwards from 10...." :)
MadMonk wrote:"Oh, by the way, your surgeon today has been convicted of attempted murder with a knife! Now, take deep relaxing breaths and count backwards from 10...." :)

As the anesthesia kicked in, my last words would be, "wait, ATTEMPTED? She failed to kill someone with what she will be using on m-" <pass out>
He's a parasite

The Truth Social platform seems to have very littl[…]

Yes I was using the word fun, loosely , ironicall[…]

Trans people are just people. They have no less an[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

You should impose your own standards on yourself.[…]