What ISIS Really Wants - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

MLK wasn't the first, last, or only person to fight for civil rights. It required a lot of different things including full on rioting, the black panther, etc. Then we can extend it to slavery and you can tell me how non violence would fix that.

I'm on my phone so I'm not going to wax lyrical about the ridiculousness of "great man" history and laying all victory at the feet of the people you listed. What they did didn't happen in a vacuum, they had their role but all three events had a lot of violence involved in their success.
mikema63 wrote:MLK wasn't the first, last, or only person to fight for civil rights. It required a lot of different things including full on rioting, the black panther, etc. Then we can extend it to slavery and you can tell me how non violence would fix that.I'm on my phone so I'm not going to wax lyrical about the ridiculousness of "great man" history and laying all victory at the feet of the people you listed. What they did didn't happen in a vacuum, they had their role but all three events had a lot of violence involved in their success.

Lets examine each one by one.
  • MLK preached purely peaceful methods. His were far more successful than those of, say, Malcolm X.
  • Mandela started out with violent "terrorism," and that landed him in prison and out of the movement
  • Gandhi never used violence (and when violence occurred, he would starve himself until the people stopped) or else the British would have had every justification to crush the revolt (yet, he was still also sent to prison many times, on much more questionable charges)
Never mind, those three men are totally fully and singally responsible for massive social changes that were definitely not decades if not centuries in the making and which literally involved no violence whatsoever.

Look, you can point to people in broader movements who did non violent things but that doesn't mean that there was never any violence or the more extreme claim that violence was never necessary for civil rights or liberation.
By Decky
skinster wrote:What does ISrael really want? :excited:

That is simple Skinster, they want to control every man woman and child on this earth.

By Rich
MememyselfandIJK wrote:[*]Gandhi never used violence (and when violence occurred, he would starve himself until the people stopped) or else the British would have had every justification to crush the revolt (yet, he was still also sent to prison many times, on much more questionable charges)[/list]

He also liked naked massage with underage girls, the daughters of his followers.
MememyselfandIJK wrote:Lets examine each one by one.[list]
[*]MLK preached purely peaceful methods. His were far more successful than those of, say, Malcolm X.

Non-violence is not the same as peaceful. His aim was to highlight the inhumanity of the abusers by not engaging in reciprocative violence. But his methods were purposefully designed off of Ghandi's in order to receive or be the target of violence. Especially against all types of people: women, children, the elderly, men. The point was to demoralize your oppressors by making them question the methods they are using to oppress you. The point was never to sit around peacefully and make kumbaya, they were trying to get hit, bludgeoned, arrested, pushed around, or even being willing to die.

And Malcolm X had his own place in the movement. Malcolm brought pride to the black male that had been emasculated. Malcolm encouraged people to educate themselves, invest in black businesses, and view the black struggle as an international struggle. He is the one that organized the black movement to take their grievances to the UN.

Saying that Malcolm accomplished a lot less is a bad comparison anyway, because MLK Jr was, for the black community at the time, born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Malcolm made himself one of the most educated black men and the forefront of the black rights movement after being sent to prison and never knowing his father.

As far as OP goes, I do think that terrorists want us living in fear, but I also feel that going about our lives is not enough. Nor is it wise to give up our freedom for security. The problem is that people buy into this shit about ISIS on both sides. They're not fighting a holy war, they are glorified warlords fighting for money and power at the top. And of course they are crazy idiots that get followed by crazy idiots. The other problem is that all that might be true but they are incredibly media savvy. Somehow they play the Western media for attention and use social media against us. It's insane.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]