Fox News is Dead; Time to cut the cord. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

James and Lachlan Murdoch are killing off FoxNews--effectively destroying their inheritance. Dumb ass kids with commie wives. It seems they want to get into the European market, which is more or less left-of-center programming, and saturated. After firing Bill O'Reilly, their ratings are coming in at third place, behind MSNBC and Rachel Maddow (good man). It seems like they want to get rid of Hannity now too. The wicked witch, Megyn Kelly, is gone; although, she did have nice legs and was considerate enough to have a transparent desk so that we could see them. Yet, she complains about sexual harassment after dressing like a tart for a decade. I think I'm going to join the cord cutters. I pay something like $200 a month, because I have two 75-inch televisions, one is 4k, and my two guest bedrooms have 43-inch 4k TVs and my own bedroom could really use an upgrade on the TV. The only things that get me to pay for all of that is FoxNews and the NFL, then NFL of which got all gay when Obama was president. I have no time for American communist propaganda shows like Madam Secretary. The NFL is going to stream Thursday night football, which I wish they'd get rid of except for Thanksgiving. I think I'm only going to need DirectTV for football season. Otherwise, I don't see the point.

The death of FoxNews should be welcome to the political left. Roger Ailes is dead. Bill O'Reilly was fired. The only commentator who had it right during the 2016 election was Sean Hannity. He was basically my equivalent here when almost all of the rest of you got it wrong. When he goes, there's no more point in FoxNews. That should be a great joy to many of you. To me, it's just time to cut the cord and save myself $2400 a year.

Anybody have any thoughts on the death of FoxNews?
Fox News is, and always has been, a multi-national corporation. His sons are merely bowing to the inevitable and necessary consequences. There is no war between left and right, liberal and conservative, establishment and Trump. It has never been anything but window dressing and a distraction for the easily misled. SJWs have never been anything other than a another disgusting side effect of liberal capitalism.

You are being played.

Other than that, this is what I have to say about Hannity.

Pobrecito.
Fox News is not a conservative joint, but a Republican Party shill. This may seem like a small distinction, but it's pretty major.

In the first, most people that support the Relublican Party (like the Democratic Party) should do so on pragmatic grounds, if they must do it at all. A guy that owns a thousand KFC franchises is going to do better with a Republican in charge; a public school teacher is going to do better with a Democrat in charge.

Fox News, being essentially Republican Party propaganda, was very good at making support for the GOP read like some kind of great moral standing and ethical battle, which it isn't. Now that the Republicans are in charge and making that obvious, the people that gravitated to Fox News are looking for other sources. This is not unlike the Democrats leaving Air America as the Bush administration went on.

Part of the appeal of Fox News was it telling its viewers that they were victims, and that only the Republican Party would make them not victims.

Now the Republicans are in charge and a lot of the messaging about victimhood is extremely hollow. Why didn't Kansas become an economic miracle by adopting all GOP policies all the time? Because of the evil Democrats in Congress.

Why is it still not working?

The evil Democrat as president.

Now that's taken care of, what now?

The evil Supreme Court. Still not working what's next?

Um...the ninth circuit court of appeals far away that have nothing to do with Kansas?

It worked well as a propaganda outlet for the Republican Party, but the major parties don't have the interest of common people in them.

Other rightwing sources are open because they are offering the same reactionary victimhood, but not tying it up with the GOP winning and (like Trump) backing out of everything that was promised.

To underline, this is not unique; Obama cuddled up to banks and didn't end any wars--except on the timelines that Bush previously laid out. And he drone-struck, and deported like a mad man. Things he was elected on the promise of not doing.

Same things with the Republicans and Trump already. But Fox was the one making the big promises; they're the ones left holding the bag.
quetzlcoatl wrote:Fox News is, and always has been, a multi-national corporation. His sons are merely bowing to the inevitable and necessary consequences.

I never said otherwise. I'm interested in what it means in American media. FoxNews filled a market segment that was utterly neglected by the mainstream media. Back in the 1980s, CNN did that until Ted Turner started dating Jane Fonda around 1990-1991. I find it interesting, because they act like Don Lemon is somehow a novelty, when Bernie Shaw was anchor back in the 1980s.

quetzlcoatl wrote:There is no war between left and right, liberal and conservative, establishment and Trump.

We disagree, but it is a semantic question. The Washington establishment (not the wealthy; rich and wealthy aren't the same thing) live their lives according to a script on the idea that it will be acceptable to the American people and thus leave them in power. Trump has most certainly upset that balance, because he can say things they cannot say. Political correctness was a means of dismissing non-adherents, and Trump has severely upset that balance, which I think is wonderful.

I debated putting this in the US section, but FoxNews wants to branch out into Europe. CNN has always had a better foreign desk than FoxNews.

I think it's an interesting turning point in the media, because it has happened so fast. A lot of older viewers tuned into FoxNews just to hear O'Reilly. Now that he's gone, the ratings are tanking too.

The Immortal Goon wrote:Fox News is not a conservative joint, but a Republican Party shill.

The value of Seth Rich's leak to WikiLeaks, and his subsequent murder by the establishment, is that he exposed the tie between political parties and the media. What makes Trump novel is that they could not stop him with their political correctness toolkit. It was supposed to be Jeb Bush versus Hillary Clinton, with Hillary winning. Trump is not what they wanted at all. His election is horrifying to them. Corporate advertisement is essentially a bribe.

The Immortal Goon wrote:It worked well as a propaganda outlet for the Republican Party, but the major parties don't have the interest of common people in them.

I don't disagree with this either. They are still in the "We are all equal wherever we are from in the world" mindset even though it's destroying social cohesion just about everywhere.

The Immortal Goon wrote:Things he was elected on the promise of not doing.

Yes, but he had the benefit of the hit show 24. That was the Democratic party's equivalent of Madam Secretary in the 2000s. They were laying the groundwork for Obama before they laid the groundwork for Hillary. I don't think the Clintons saw that coming and figured Barack would be easy to beat, but they'd tee him up as VP. It didn't work out that way, as we know.

The Immortal Goon wrote:But Fox was the one making the big promises; they're the ones left holding the bag.

That's a short-term analysis. They were #1 from about the time of 9/11 until very recently. Now they are trailing MSNBC. I think that's significant, because I think most of the media is just propaganda. Yet, they are completely out of step with the American people. FoxNews just tipped their big toe in that water, and suddenly they are behind MSNBC in the ratings.

That leaves a big opening for new competition. The economic fallout of it will also be interesting. Can they put together a streaming news service that bypasses cable and leaves the $200 monthly payment a relic of the past? That's entirely possible. As I said, I only have DirectTV for FoxNews and the NFL. I stream pretty much everything else.
Saeko wrote:Let me get this straight. You paid $200 a month to hear TV people tell you what you already know?
That's why I read paper and online news. They tend to be somewhat saner, and a hell of a lot cheaper (Especially, back when I read NYT (I haven't ever since they hired that climate change denier), I would use private tabs to get unlimited articles free :lol: )
Let me know when Fox News is removed from the face of the earth! Then it will be such a happy day! One less ridiculous network to hear ignoramuses rave about. I am totally laughing at Rupert Murdoch right now. :D

Rich kids should not be given buckets of money. They need to learn how to be leaders and how to manage their assets. But anyhow, that is their problem.
SolarCross wrote:Wow do people still watch the grandpa box? That's so quaint.

Cable TV news is basically wallpaper that plays in the background. Suitable for doctors' waiting rooms. The one exception has been Fox News, which functioned as the chief conduit for pumping reactionary bilge to retirees. They served that niche admirably, but the well has run dry. That particular business model is as doomed as Kodak, J C Penney, or Barnes and Noble. It's clientele will literally be six feet under inside a decade, and it's fake cool announcers like Greg Gutfield have garnered no new audience.

So now Hannity has lost his first advertiser, and announced he will go on "vacation." The discipline of the market, folks. Losers gotta lose.
Finfinder wrote:Why do adults read and watch Harry Potter and catch pokeymons?

Why do I read Harry Potter: Because the first two books are awesome.
Why do I watch Harry Potter: Well I liked the books ... the movies are perfectly superflous though.
Why do I catch Pokeymon: I dont. I know nobody who did.
blackjack21 wrote:James and Lachlan Murdoch are killing off FoxNews...

Are there still many people who watch the boob tube?
:roll:

I can do without it, and I cannot understand why people kill their time this way, instead of using modern interactive media.
blackjack21 wrote:Anybody have any thoughts on the death of FoxNews?

First:

Okay, now for my thoughts:

Fox News' time came and it went. They made a lot of money, peddled lots of fauxness, massaged the egos of the downtrodden MAGA hat wearers, and jumped a few sharks. I wouldn't be surprised if the age of their viewers skews upward of 60. I'd be surprised if they can regain their former place. And if not - I won't shed a tear.

Go Rachel!
@blackjack21

I have heard of Fox News, but I don't know alot about it just that it's a news station and that it people dislike it.

Also I would like to return to our discussion about your ideal fascist state in Paternalism and Corporatism forum. I unfortunately had some work to do and when I came back my post have many pages and was in a different discussion from before so I wasn't able to respond to you without trended week old posts. If we could start again I would be pleased. You could've also changed your mind on certain things.
ArtAllm wrote:Are there still many people who watch the boob tube?
:roll:

I can do without it, and I cannot understand why people kill their time this way, instead of using modern interactive media.

TV still has professionals on the other end of it. "Modern interactive media" rarely has. People read books, despite them not being interactive, because the authors put some effort into being consistent, knowledgeable and so on. Talking shite with your mates has always been available and "interactive", but that didn't stop the development of writing, printing and publishing, because that used better people.
Prosthetic Conscience wrote:TV still has professionals on the other end of it.

The word "TV" is outdated. You have a big flat screen in your home, but it is not a TV any more, though you can still watch TV-channels, if you want to remain a passive watcher.

Prosthetic Conscience wrote:"Modern interactive media" rarely has.

Disagree.

Prosthetic Conscience wrote:People read books, despite them not being interactive, because the authors put some effort into being consistent, knowledgeable and so on.

Yes, of course, and for these reasons books are burned and prohibited.

They try to make the old European Classic politically correct, if they cannot prohibit it.
If the process continues, then the old original European Classic will be prohibited, and you get a surrogate with replaced chunks of texts.

This process already started, with books for children.

Pippi Longstocking (Pippi Långstrump) by Astrid Lindgren became politically incorrect. Now the kids get a "rectified" version of this work, but they pretend that this is still the original book. That is the future, predicted by George Orwell.

Prosthetic Conscience wrote:Talking shite with your mates has always been available and "interactive", but that didn't stop the development of writing, printing and publishing, because that used better people.

No censorship and no efforts of the self-appointed "Ministry of Truth" to tell the people what they shall read and how they shall understand what was already written, can stop the development of writing or publishing.

And professionals are not those people, who are kissing the ass of the powers that be, they are usually dissidents, whose works are suppressed and censored.

That was often the case in the past, and that will be the case in the future.

Technology works both ways. You can use it for surveillance and for suppressing the freedom of speech, but on the other hand dissidents can use the same technology to promote their works.
Saeko wrote:Let me get this straight. You paid $200 a month to hear TV people tell you what you already know?

Well, there are a whole lot of channels that come with it that I don't watch--and football season. That's about the only reason I still pay DirectTV.

MistyTiger wrote:Let me know when Fox News is removed from the face of the earth!

That hasn't happened yet, but they left a big hole in their line-up by getting rid of O'Reilly. Tucker Carlson filled Megyn Kelly's slot nicely, but the older viewers have dropped off and the younger viewers have not joined up.

Zagadka wrote:I might. Who knows where the rightists will go to for Non-Fake Non-Mainstream News now. Likely an even more insane source.

Well, the rise of streaming outlets has the cable outlets taking notice. Megyn Kelly's piece on Alex Jones has a main point: tie Donald Trump to Alex Jones. However, there is a subtext too: "Hey! Look! This guy's got nearly 2B views!" I find Alex Jones too tedious. There are lots of them cropping up now like Mark Dice, who is mostly a right wing comedian that attacks left wing news. Setting up a YouTube channel with a good production value can be done with very few people, compared to the mainstream media. That's got them worried. Personally, I like guys like Shirvan Neftchi, who basically makes videos out of analysis like that of StratFor on his YouTube channel--Caspian Report.

Prosthetic Conscience wrote:TV still has professionals on the other end of it. "Modern interactive media" rarely has.

It's mostly propaganda though. How much have we heard about the situation in Syria, Iraq, or even Qatar in TV news? The converage is pretty limited these days.

ArtAllm wrote:The word "TV" is outdated. You have a big flat screen in your home, but it is not a TV any more, though you can still watch TV-channels, if you want to remain a passive watcher.

Well, some of the better productions now are on Netflix, Amazon, or one of the more venerable pay channels like Showtime or HBO that are making the transition to streaming.

ArtAllm wrote:Disagree.

I do too. I watch more YouTube than anything now on my TV. That's why I look at my DirectTV bill and scratch my head. I do have it for house guests too, as my guest rooms have 4k TVs. I guess I shouldn't be such a gracious host.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Are people on this thread actually trying to argu[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]