The terms "snowflake" and "triggered" - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Alright, so we have these terms that are used largely by the right to describe people on the left. The amount of irony and hypocrisy here is astounding.

If you compare the younger, more liberal generation to the older folks it is perfectly clear which generation does more bitching. The older people for sure. Look at the all the things they can't tolerate, but which liberals have no problem with at all: sexual promiscuity, racial diversity, immigration, homosexuality, abortion, drug use, profanity, atheism, islam, satanism, etc. Conservatives are the ones who get "triggered" by these things, not liberals. They are an ultra-sensitive, cowardly, intolerant group that can't handle accepting things that are different from what they are used to.

I say this as a complete independent and unbiased observer.

:lol: No one is independent and unbiased we all see things though the lens of our own social and political views. Even claiming to be unbiased shows you are biased enough to see your own biases as objective facts out their in the world rather than things in your hear.

Also.

If you compare the younger, more liberal generation to the older folks it is perfectly clear which generation does more bitching. The older people for sure. Look at the all the things they can't tolerate, but which liberals have no problem with at all: sexual promiscuity, racial diversity, immigration, homosexuality

How unbiased and objective can you really be here?
Decky wrote::lol: No one is independent and unbiased we all see things though the lens of our own social and political views. Even claiming to be unbiased shows you are biased enough to see your own biases as objective facts out their in the world rather than things in your hear.

Total circular reasoning. Invalid logic.

How unbiased and objective can you really be here?

Hmm, I see that logic really is not a strong point for you. That I have shown intolerance towards homosexuality in the past yet I am here pointing out that liberals are in fact more tolerant towards homosexuality is perfectly logically consistent. You might want to learn logic and reasoning before posting another comment.
Agent Steel wrote:Alright, so we have these terms that are used largely by the right to describe people on the left. The amount of irony and hypocrisy here is astounding.

If you compare the younger, more liberal generation to the older folks it is perfectly clear which generation does more bitching. The older people for sure. Look at the all the things they can't tolerate, but which liberals have no problem with at all: sexual promiscuity, racial diversity, immigration, homosexuality, abortion, drug use, profanity, atheism, islam, satanism, etc. Conservatives are the ones who get "triggered" by these things, not liberals. They are an ultra-sensitive, cowardly, intolerant group that can't handle accepting things that are different from what they are used to.

The first sentence and last sentence I disagree with.

The middle part is spot on. Those terms are totally out of control in the right wing. Triggers are actually a real thing to victims of sexual assault or people with PTSD for whatever reason, but the right seems to think that opinions will "trigger" people they disagree with. No one is triggered by fiscal policy or Christian ideology. People may think that your opinions on those things are stupid, but they're not triggered.

The "special snowflake" thing I suspect is from misogyny, because men certainly think they are special without any justification as well. Isn't that true of everyone? I find this to be especially true though of conservatives, who think that what they feel is so important everyone has to live it out politically.
The term, "snowflake," was used in politics to mock rightwingers for more than a century.

Merriam Webster wrote:In Missouri in the early 1860s, a 'snowflake' was a person who was opposed to the abolition of slavery—the implication of the name being that such people valued white people over black people. This use seems not to have endured.

It was brought back by a gay Portlander from the Cacophony Society to mock reactionaries--and from an anarchist's perspective, this includes all liberals.

This last little detail was lost on the kids in dorm rooms under Fight Club posters using it on 4/chan.

So far as being triggered, it's mostly dumb. But it's no different than three decades of rightwingers being triggered by being wished Happy Holidays instead of, "Merry Christmas," by a sales clerk--and then having to hear months of frothing-at-the-mouth hurt feelings about how a Jewish cashier should be forced to wish an atheist, "Merry Christmas," or else in line's precious little feelings will get hurt.
Agent Steel wrote:Alright, so we have these terms that are used largely by the right to describe people on the left. The amount of irony and hypocrisy here is astounding.

aawwww the poor snowflakes :lol:

The Immortal Goon wrote:The term, "snowflake," was used in politics to mock rightwingers for more than a century.

It was brought back by a gay Portlander from the Cacophony Society to mock reactionaries--and from an anarchist's perspective, this includes all liberals.

This last little detail was lost on the kids in dorm rooms under Fight Club posters using it on 4/chan.

So far as being triggered, it's mostly dumb. But it's no different than three decades of rightwingers being triggered by being wished Happy Holidays instead of, "Merry Christmas," by a sales clerk--and then having to hear months of frothing-at-the-mouth hurt feelings about how a Jewish cashier should be forced to wish an atheist, "Merry Christmas," or else in line's precious little feelings will get hurt.

re-branding happens all the time ...the Democrats started the KKK
Finfinder wrote:re-branding happens all the time ...the Democrats started the KKK

Indeed.

The Republican Party started out as a party endorsed by Karl Marx and the Lincoln administration remains the only administration to have a friendly correspondence with communism.

Then, when the Democrats kicked out the KKK, the Republicans jumped in to pick up as many KKK members as possible and preyed upon the idea that they could gather all the racists under one tent by using economic rhetoric to connect with latent racism:

---

History is, as you implied while trying to say the opposite, is important.
I suspect older people appear more argumentative because they know how to formulated an argument, whether they are left or right wing. Kids seem to rely on phrases like "fake news" and "Hillary lost! Neener, Neener! "

BTW, it is a fallacy to think all older posters are right wing. A good portion of them are superannuated hippies.
Both Democrats and Republicans are snowflakes in the sense that they can't recognize the system that they are trapped in, just like a snowflake won't realize it will melt come spring

Stormsmith wrote:I suspect older people appear more argumentative because they know how to formulated an argument, whether they are left or right wing. Kids seem to rely on phrases like "fake news" and "Hillary lost! Neener, Neener! "

The conclusion makes sense. Do you have data to justify it?

Finfinder wrote:aawwww the poor snowflakes

Consider me triggered :lol:
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@JohnRawls Why do you think that? If you wer[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]