Social media; the rise of new paths of information or a platform for extremism? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... online-war

Social media, extremism and fears we are losing the online war
The Manchester attack has again raised questions over whether tech firms are doing enough

Theresa May’s initiative to put more pressure on tech companies over online extremism is born of a frustration that can only have been heightened by this week’s attack in Manchester.

For all the harsh words and threatened fines that have been thrown at social media companies over recent months, in the UK and across Europe, there is a feeling that they are not doing nearly enough, quickly enough, to tackle the problem.

Linked to this is an anxiety that the online war is being lost. The internet is where the battle for hearts and minds is often shaped – where calls for violence are posted, where videos of how to make bombs proliferate and the atrocities that are committed are too often celebrated.

There is no doubt that people who are either involved with, or are supporters of, Islamic State have become experts at exploiting the internet. Within minutes of Monday evening’s attack, hashtags, memes, instructions and info-graphics were being sprayed around messenger sites and on to social media platforms.

“They are always very quick,” said one source involved in monitoring online extremism. “They try to capitalise on the attacks and the chaos. They barge their way into mainstream media conversations online. Isis tells its ‘fan boys’ how to do it.”

This month, the home affairs select committee said that matters were getting worse, not better, with MPs delivering an unusually withering assessment of the tech industry: “There is a great deal of evidence that these platforms are being used to spread hate, abuse and extremism. That trend continues to grow at an alarming rate but it remains unchecked and, even where it is illegal, largely unpoliced. The evidence suggests that the problem is getting worse.”

And so it appears to be. The Facebook Files revealed by the Guardian this week gave a genuinely unprecedented insight into the way Facebook is trying to tackle online extremism, and the muddle it has got itself into.

While Facebook executives seem genuinely hurt by accusations they are not doing enough, and are offended by the idea they do not take these matters seriously, the fact remains that it is really struggling to contain the problem.

Its moderators told the Guardian they face a “mission impossible” trying to keep the site clean. There is so much content, and it is so easy to defy the rules, that Facebook cannot stop hateful material being published.

In one month last year, moderators escalated more than 1,300 posts with potential links to terrorism. Moderators told us this was really the tip of the iceberg. Videos of how to make bombs and how to create suicide vests are out there if you want to find them.

Facebook told the Guardian it had software that stops some images from being seen and is investing heavily in artificial intelligence. That is regarded as another way of disinfecting the site.

But the truth for Facebook, and for May, is that any number of moderators, and any number of algorithms, might not be enough. The terrorists, and their supporters, have been smart and they adapt quickly. One moderator told the Guardian: “It always feels like we are one step behind.”

To a very real extent, social media has become powerful enough to shape the world we live in. Its virtues are many, its vices are becoming more evident.

I'm trying to shape my position on the subject (being a relative novice) and I would like to hear your thoughts regarding it, what you expect from it in the future and how it should be managed.
@noir

That story is at the top of the BBC's webpage, the top of Reuter's webpage [but not the main story], a few inches down the Guardian's webpage, about a quarter the way down the webpage of the Telegraph, and at a few inches down the page, but at the top of the Breaking News section, of the New York Times.

And those are just the papers I managed to check in the 30 seconds I gave myself to prove that tweet wrong.

(Ninja'd, but always happy to contribute towards taking the post-truth crew down a peg or two.)

---

I am as unsure as you are, Madmonk, so I'mma leave topic run on a bit before I offer anything much on topic.
@OP, the main issue for the tech companies is that it's impossible to actually hire enough people to check all posts on social media so they have to use algorithms to examine posts. Those can be gotten around. It doesn't help that they don't want to make them too agressive for fear of accidentally deleting posts and users that are benign but got caught in too large a net.

They probably do have the resources to do better, but we should also be aware that there are probably limits to what they can do as well.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]