News habits - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By mikema63
Where do you get your news and how do you consume news?

What's your favorite news source?
By Zagadka
I've used (definitely not exclusively) http://newsmap.jp for a long time now. You can customize the feed it gives you a great deal (I remove some of the countries and entertainment and sports news - usually http://newsmap.jp/#/b,m,n,t,w/uk,us/view/ ), and does kinda scattershot as far as source bias goes.
By quetzalcoatl
This is a variation of "who do you trust?" I trust my dog with my life, but not with my lunch. I wouldn't trust a broker who lives off commissions, would you?

By definition, you cannot trust the corporate media. Whatever they personally believe, reporters are chosen on the basis of how they will affect the corporate bottom line. This means that in the real world they must abide by the 'both sides do it' undistributed middle fallacy. Political topics that exist outside a narrow window will be invisible.

I read RT, but I know they are completely untrustworty with regard to any subject which Vladimir Putin deems important. Similar limitations apply to BBC, Reuters, etc.

So the questions you might ask: "Have the leads proffered by this news source been borne out over time?"
"Who funds this organization, and what interests do they serve?"
By Decky
Infowars.com and only infowars.com. Everything thing else is (((corporate))) controlled. Info wars is self funding so you can trust everything it says, they have no reason to take bribes from vested interests to put out their propaganda.
By Oxymoron
Used to be NPR + Drudge
now more sites like Drudge that combine most important, interesting stories From both left and right leaning.
@Decky there are enough private news sources out there that you don't have to resort to far-right sources.

For what I read:
New York Times not since they hired that climate change denier
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/new-york-times/
mediabiasfactcheck.com wrote:LEFT-CENTER BIAS
These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias.  They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes.  These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
Factual Reporting: HIGH

Slate for its news
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/slate/
mediabiasfactcheck.com wrote:LEFT BIAS
These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation.  They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy.

Counterpunch for its editorials
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/counterpunch/
mediabiasfactcheck.com wrote:LEFT BIAS
These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation.  They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy.

Oxymoron wrote:now more sites like Drudge that combine most important, interesting stories From both left and right leaning.

Try again Oxymoron

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/drudge-report/
mediabiasfactcheck.com wrote:RIGHT BIAS
These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Last edited by MememyselfandIJK on 31 May 2017 20:52, edited 3 times in total.
By anasawad
RT, France24, BBC, Al-Jazeera, PressTV, Al-Arabiya, MTV (Murr TV), CCTV International, IRINN, Polsat news, skynews and sometimes CNN.

I also follow several written news media online.
The TV in my office is almost always on showing one of these channels, with France 24, RT and Skynews taking a large portion of the time.
While the TV in the living room is usually for on-demand TV being so far never actually connected to any cable or satellite rather just on the internet.

I prefer to take news from multiple sources to get a good idea of the narrative pushed by each side.

Side note: Best looking news anchors are in France 24. :lol: :p
By Oxymoron
MememyselfandIJK wrote:[usermention=10524]

Try again Oxymoron

I simply meant sites like Drudge that combine stories from many sources, not specifically Drudge itself.
By MememyselfandIJK
Oxymoron wrote:I simply meant sites like Drudge that combine stories from many sources, not specifically Drudge itself.
The website refers to all the stories posted, not only what they wrote.
By ThirdTerm

PBS NewsHour

I used to watch this program for learning English. It's now available on YouTube, including live streaming happening now. When I was much younger, Newsweek was the only news source about America.
By Godstud
BBC News, CBC News, Wall Street Journal, and The Economist.

TYT... for a laugh. Heavy left leaning.
By mikema63
Quality newspapers obviously, the ones you pay for. TV is dumb.

Which newspapers do you consider quality?

TYT... for a laugh. Heavy left leaning.

I used to like them alright but they've started to get bitter and grate on my nerves a bit.

Personally I read articles from a variety of sources through my news feed. Everything from slate, politico, the guardian, the BBC, Wall street journal, Washington post, etc. Sometimes Stuff like the blaze and brietbart will pop up sometimes and every once and a while I give it a read just to see what the amygdala of the GOP is up too.

I watch cable news clips off youtube as well occasionally. Usually MSNBC, CBS, and CNN.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We don't walk away from our allies says Genocide […]

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]

Britain: Deliberately imports laborers from around[…]

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]