Trumps visit to U.K. to be cancelled. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Labour Party Leader Jeremy Corbyn has advocated for the cancellation of US President Donald Trump's visit to the UK, citing disagreements over the Paris climate accord and the President's criticism of London Mayor Sadiq Khan.

"Cancellation of President Trump's State Visit is welcome, especially after his attack on London's mayor & withdrawal from #ParisClimateDeal," Mr Corbyn tweeted.

Mr Trump's visit to the UK has not been formally cancelled, but is reported to have been put on hold for fear of public protest.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/jerem ... 84666.html
DONALD Trump’s state visit to the UK has been postponed “until people support him coming” amid fears of mass protests against the President.

It is being reported he phoned Theresa May to warn her he didn’t want to go ahead with the trip say if there was widespread public opposition.

Donald Trump’s trip the UK has reportedly been postponed
It comes after there was anger at the prospect of the controversial Republican having the red carpet rolled out for him later this year.

The Guardian is alleging he phoned the Prime Minister in recent weeks, quoting a Downing Street adviser in the room at the time saying she was surprised at the decision.

Mrs May had invited Mr Trump and his wife Melania to Britain seven days after his inauguration at a joint press conference in the White House.

The President says he does not want to come if the public does not want him to
But given the overwhelmingly negative public perception of Mr Trump in the UK, his comments seemingly put paid to his arrival here almost indefinitely.

In response however a spokeswoman for Mrs May’s office said there has been no change to plans for the President’s state visit to Britain, where he is expected to address Parliament and meet the Queen, among other events.

They said: “We aren’t going to comment on speculation about the contents of private phone conversations.

“The Queen extended an invitation to President Trump to visit the UK and there is no change to those plans.”

Donald Trump phoned Theresa May to say he would not be coming to the UK
It comes after there were calls in recent days to cancel the state visit, after the President was blasted for his criticism of Sadiq Khan.

The spat began when Mr Trump tweeted hours after the deadly London Bridge terror attack, appearing to mock the response of the capital’s mayor

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3774866/d ... rs-latest/
It seems that Donald Trump is fearful of the anti Trump protests and demonstrations in the U.K.
And they say that protesters on the street accomplishes nothing. How wrong they are.

How might President Trump react to a world leader who, afraid for his image, perhaps afraid for himself, refused to fulfil a promise to visit a loyal ally. He might fire off a tweet: “RAN from critics. A gift for crooked MSM. TOTAL pathetic loser!”

But he won’t, because the loser is him. He got to hold hands with Theresa Maywhen she visited Washington, but alas, that may be the high point of his cuddle-fest with her, and with us – because Trump, it now appears, is not keen on making his proposed state visit to Britain any time soon.

He has apparently, in a recent telephone call to the prime minister, declared that he does not want to come if there are to be large-scale protests. The visit, we are told, is on hold.

Some may be surprised by this. From the violence and menace that became features of his ugly campaign, it was easy to assume that he liked a bit of edge at his public appearances. But on those occasions, he knew he would always have the support of far-right thugs and hangers-on who could drown out dissent and, if need be, throw a few punches at protesters, passers-by, anyone who would dare to question him. That intimidation, unprecedented in recent history, would have been more difficult to replicate here; he could hardly bring his street fighters with him. There are only so many seats on Air Force One.

Donald Trump's state visit to Britain put on hold

Maybe he didn’t fancy the trip without Theresa there to hold his hand; to keep him strong and stable, as it were. Even he might blanch – all the way from Tango orange to the whitest white – at the idea of skipping through the Downing Street rose garden hand in hand with Phil the spreadsheet Hammond or Boris Johnson.

So we may be denied a spectacle then but will hopefully be saved from the distraction of Trump’s bandwagon when we may be fixating on at least one more general election, and we should certainly be focusing on the history-defining implications of Brexit.

Saved too – for now at least – the embarrassment of those who offered Trump the invitation in the first place, those who saw our new place in the world as lying at the feet of a reprobate.

And what do we learn from this? Once again we see what it is to deal with someone who has such high office and such thin skin. Just the notion of turbulence that might be seen around the world seems to be enough to scare him off. If he can’t bomb it or tweet against it, the cupboard of responses seems bare.

But, for the more important message, look to ourselves. It is easy to question the efficacy of protest. Millions marched against the war in Iraq, but couldn’t stop it. Millions more marched against Brexit and cuts in the NHS. There is rarely such a direct link to be drawn between public action and response from those with power, but each public protest speaks to the strength and tenor of opinion. Every one sets out a position and raises the stakes. Here the stakes became too high for a brittle, image-conscious president in Washington.What do we want? Not Trump. When do we want him? Never.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -president
@MistyTiger

>Going to Saudi Arabia: "Yeah sure, no one's going to do anything to me"

>Going to UK: "Fuck no someone could shoot me!!"

I think Trump needs his own branch of logic. It should something studied and analyzed. It will be known as the Byzantine class of logic.
mikema63 wrote:I wonder if we can protest enough in the US that he stays out?

Seriously though what a child. You aren't popular in a foreign country so fuck diplomacy.

We shouldn't be offering state visits to first term presidents let alone first week presidents. Meeting the Queen is an honour that must be earned.

It made as much sense as giving Obama the Nobel peace prize for being elected and then watching him set new records for deportations of children, prosecutions of whistle blowers and bombings of countries.
White House denies report Trump will delay state visit to UK

Washington (CNN)The White House has denied a report that US President Donald Trump plans to delay his state visit to the United Kingdom over fears of potential protests and his perceived unpopularity.

According to a report by the Guardian on Sunday, Trump revealed his unease during a conversation with British Prime Minister Theresa May in recent weeks, according to a Downing Street adviser who was in the room.
But a senior Trump administration source denied that the subject ever came up when Trump and May spoke on Friday in the aftermath of the British general election.
"The President has tremendous respect for Prime Minister May. That subject never came up on the call," the official told CNN.

A second senior US administration official also dismissed the Guardian report, acknowledging that Trump may never be popular in London and isn't fazed by that.
No official date was ever set for the visit. A Downing Street spokesman refused to comment on what he called "speculation about the contents of private phone conversation."

"The Queen extended an invitation to President Trump to visit the UK and there is no change to those plans," the spokesman added.
May extended the invite to Trump on behalf of the Queen just a week after his inauguration, a move that was heavily criticized in the UK.

Trump has become increasingly unpopular in Britain in recent days. His vociferous Twitter attack on London Mayor Sadiq Khan in the wake of the London Bridge terrorist attack last weekend drew condemnation from across the British political spectrum. Khan then called on the British government to cancel Trump's visit.
On Sunday, opposition Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn voiced his support for canceling Trump's trip.

Corbyn tweeted: "Cancellation of President Trump's State Visit is welcome, especially after his attack on London's mayor & withdrawal from #ParisClimateDeal."
The arrival of Trump in Britain anytime soon is unlikely to be welcomed by May, who is fighting for her political life following a disastrous general election Thursday that wiped out her party's majority in Parliament and prompted calls for her to resign.

In February this year, the British government formally rejected an online petition calling for Trump's state visit to the UK to be canceled or downgraded. The petition had garnered more than 1.8 million signatures.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/11/politics/ ... index.html

This WH sure likes to deny stuff.
mikema63 wrote:Seriously though what a child. You aren't popular in a foreign country so fuck diplomacy.

While Trump is indeed being a baby, the criticism for this whole shambles should be directed squarely at the UK government. It was pathetic to offer Trump a state visit so early, since it's one of the only areas we have any leverage over him. He's so vain and pathetic that he might genuinely make diplomatic concessions to the UK in return for an opportunity to visit Buckingham Palace and ride in the Queen's Carriage, and Theresa May threw that away within weeks of him coming to office.
That's true. At the same time brexit is turning into such a shit show they might be desperate to arrange a trade deal or something with the US.

I wonder what the odds are that there won't be a brexit deal when the UK leaves. They might need to take precautions for their economy not to implode when the time comes.
I'm listening to Trumpy speak live about his cabinet and blowing his own horn of course.
The Dems are now the "obstructionists" according to him...an interesting development.
Kershner's seated right behind him of course. He's so good at this. I can't even see his lips moving...

Anyway...I did and still do think America has to "drain the swamp". I just don't think Donny-boy has any real intentions of doing so.
More I think he's doing what he's doing in order to gain popularity. He's snubbed the climate change agreement, trying to get rid of Obama Care, all the things the "angry right" complained bitterly about. Not the least of which is "strength and leadership".

His cabinet members are just now, in turn, profusely thanking Donny for their positions on TV. It's hilarious.
But one of the main themes I'm hearing is "strength". Military strength. Looks like a group effort to let the populace know that the days of "leading from behind" are over. All the right-wing "pain-points" are being addressed.

The problem I have is, when he speaks, he sounds like a simpleton. He spends most of his time tooting his own horn, and everything is apparently "really great".

The guy makes me nervous...
MistyTiger wrote:Donny-boy is an amoeba who thrives off of the "swamp". Why should he clean it up? Honesty does not pay much, but liars seem to profit quite a bit.

What the fuck does he know about military strength? He has zero military experience.

Actually and perhaps unfortunately, he is a little more than an amoeba...
Never forget that he did win the presidency on a platform that he is actually trying to enact for those who voted for him. So far...
This whole Russia/FBI/DOJ thing is doing as much harm to the Dems as it does to the Reps IMO.
And in all fairness, the Paris Climate Accords were basically a money-pit to the USA.
Is Donny a liar? Ya likely. Some of the shit he tweets is from out in right field.

However military experience is something few presidents have had. Lately anyway.
Obama had none. Bush's military experience was a bit of a joke.
Donny wants to close the US boarders to a number of Muslim majority countries.
I think that's prudent.

But drain the swamp? He seems to be making it bigger in a way.
And even if Trumpy considers only US security, at the expense of NATO and anyone else, I'm not sure he realizes the national security is not a "business". Or at least...it shouldn't be.
Especially if you profess to wanna drain the swamp.

Yup, the man makes me nervous.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@JohnRawls Why do you think that? If you wer[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]