Bourgeois Nations - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

In nearly all countries where communism emerged the vast majority of the population were rural peasants. China and Russia were primarily agrarian societies. Indonesia which was on the verge of going communist before the 1965 coup was also a mostly rural country with landed farmers. In all of these countries the industrial proletariat descended from peasants who had moved to the cities.

In Western countries I have noticed that many people have ancestors who were not peasants. Even though their grandfathers or great grandfathers may have worked in factories, their distant ancestors may have been merchants or craftsmen. Are the vast majority of the population in Britain, France and the Netherlands descendants of peasants, or do they descend from the merchant/craftsmen classes? Why does nearly everyone who tells me something about their family history always involve something bourgeois?
By fuser
Most of them just don't know or they really believe these things about their ancestors even though in all possibility its not correct. No one wants to admit that their ancestors were illiterate peasants and not noblemen.

Anyhow its easier in this part of the world PI to know about one's ancestry because caste.
It's probably an effect of how well births, marriages and deaths were recorded. In the UK, this only became compulsory once the Industrial Revolution had started, so a lot of people were already in the towns and cities, and I'd guess that may apply for a lot of developed countries.

Before then, keeping such records was up to the cleric in charge of a parish - some did, and some didn't. The richer you were, the more likely you'd get a record (more likely to baptise your children, more likely to have an official church marriage) so that the richer ancestors of anyone are more likely to be known (and wills and property transactions, the preserve of the well off, are another source of research).
By QatzelOk
Throughout history, city dwellers become parasitic and childless, or are killed in wars, and then are replaced by country hicks.

So most people are of both city and country stock. Cities need hardworking people who aren't cynical, and these are usually found in less sophisticated (jaded) parts of their hinterlands.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]