What sources do you trust? - Page 4 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

#14822973
anna wrote:Seriously here, I agree with you 100% on this.

Ya...it's unfortunate.

anna wrote:No, they tend more towards "commentary on the average intellect of the American population..."

:lol:
Good one. Point for anna.

anna wrote:I'm sure BC is gorgeous since it's like a continuation of Washington ( 8) sorry, had to do that because you might have been expecting it and I didn't want to disappoint you), and I'd really like to get back that far north again, maybe over to Lake Louise. As far as saying I'm from CA - not even OR or WA want to see us - what's up with that? :eh:

Not sure. maybe, for some reason, people in OR or WA don't appreciate Californians?
I've never been to California. My daughter has though. A couple times now.
She seems to like it. But she has designs on being a big star. I indulge her whims because...I can, I guess. But she's a sharpie and I have faith that she'll eventually realize the value of being a Canuck. Not to say there isn't value in being American. There most certainly is. It just seems all to often that Americans spend allot of energy and time, showing the world very odd expressions of that value.

BC IS a continuation of Washington, geographically.
If you ski, Lake Louise is amazing. 3 mountains of ski runs with a pub/chalet at the end of pretty much every run. Go up, ski down, have a hot mulled red wine, start process over again.
#14823955
anna wrote:
Eh. We're just going in circles. I'm not claiming they don't make an attempt to be aware of bias in a general sense but my point was that you were attributing a self-mandate to them that wasn't their creation, it was yours.

I don't think we are going in circles because "attempting to be aware of bias" is quite different to and much weaker than what I have described. You can quibble about my choice of words, but it should hopefully be obvious that I used them as a juxtaposition to the BBC's legal mandate. Since there is no such law applying to the NYT, its mission for neutrality, fairness and broad appeal is voluntary or "self-imposed".

anna wrote:I don't expect any news organization to be impartial and neutral. I think that's an impossible bar, and because it's impossible, easy for one who has a different bias to point fingers and say "See? Not neutral! Not neutral!"

I never, even when I was a conservative, saw FOX as "fair and balanced." We all knew what side FOX was on, and the only way you could truthfully put "balanced" into the equation was that they were on the other side of the scale from the rest of the MSM so they "balanced" out a more liberal approach.

It still falls on the consumer to weigh their sources, but it's so human to put ourselves in a silo that it's the exception to the rule who consciously and regularly exposes themselves to news and opinion from viewpoints different from their own. I celebrate them, they're worth emulating - but they're still the exception to the rule. For the people (in the U.S.) who even care enough to follow news and opinion (and so many don't, and that's so dangerous), for the most part they're either going to be in the FOX/Drudge/Breitbart/Rush silo, or they're going to be in the NYT/MSNBC/CNN/WaPo silo.

I agree with this. Despite being mandated by law, the BBC isn't neutral either. The more polarised the political landscape becomes and the more skewed the politics of journalists and editors towards one side are, the more difficult it is.
#14823971
Welcome back again, @Dave. You must have won quite a few election bets! :lol:

The recent CNN controversies are a good case in point why the right and independents trust the MSM even less now than previously. Whether Trump will ultimately succeed in his war against them remains to be seen, but there is a substantial number of people who are cheering him on in this, presumably because they've had enough of the cowering of their representatives in response to the usual accusations.
#14823974
@Kaiserschmarrn,

I did indeed. Two PoFo members owe me money. 8)

In addition to the bets, I loaded up on coal and steel stock options in advance of the election. I made a killing when Trump won. :D

Trump's war against the MSM is presently just rhetoric. This is not enough. These organizations must be destroyed. The Federal Trade Commission must break them up on antitrust grounds, and FCC rules about media concentration must be revived. The IRS should investigate both media owners and "journalists" for tax law violations.

The regular press conference should be ended completely, and the White House should exclusively release information to alternative media outlets like Info Wars.

If we can get away with it, we should arrange lethal "accidents" for "journalists" as well. Not too many, just enough pour encourager les autres.

These people are our enemies and must be destroyed.
#14823986
I used to read Razib Khan on the Unz Review before he left. From some of his comments it looks like he has also been subject to the usual character assassination attempts. He also claims that conservative/right-wing academics tend to hide their politics.

Dave wrote:Trump's war against the MSM is presently just rhetoric. This is not enough.

Most are content with this I think. By "winning" I mean that I'm hoping that conservatives will at least stop freezing or "taking the high road" when confronted by liberals.

Dave wrote:These organizations must be destroyed. The Federal Trade Commission must break them up on antitrust grounds, and FCC rules about media concentration must be revived. The IRS should investigate both media owners and "journalists" for tax law violations.

The regular press conference should be ended completely, and the White House should exclusively release information to alternative media outlets like Info Wars.

If we can get away with it, we should arrange lethal "accidents" for "journalists" as well. Not too many, just enough pour encourager les autres.

These people are our enemies and must be destroyed.

Just a tad too extreme for me and I suspect also for Trump.
#14823996
Kaiserschmarrn wrote:I used to read Razib Khan on the Unz Review before he left. From some of his comments it looks like he has also been subject to the usual character assassination attempts. He also claims that conservative/right-wing academics tend to hide their politics.

I led a campaign to get Razib Khan removed from the Unz Review. He is a coward who censors comments he does not agree with. The whole point of the internet is, or should be at least, FREEDOM.

The internet allows us to restore 19th century social discourse. Men full of piss and vinegar advancing our real interests and speaking plainly.

Kaiserschmarrn wrote:
Most are content with this I think. By "winning" I mean that I'm hoping that conservatives will at least stop freezing or "taking the high road" when confronted by liberals.

This is why it is up to us, we of the alt-right vanguard, to keep up the pressure. We need to lead these people to real victory.

Kaiserschmarrn wrote:
Just a tad too extreme for me and I suspect also for Trump.

You are a woman and someone of a gentle temperament, so I understand harsh measures are too much for you.

But I ask you this: do you believe we'll defeat these people simply by talking?
#14824047
Dave wrote:
You are a woman and someone of a gentle temperament, so I understand harsh measures are too much for you.

But I ask you this: do you believe we'll defeat these people simply by talking?


A bit patronising here Dave. I think Trump will be impeached in a years time and this will end his movement. His Russian connection is closing up to him and has already grasped his son. Unless of course this is just fake news created by the Clinton administration to tarnish the great mans name.
#14827847
None really. Nobody is truely impartial. Checking and double checking information is recommented. Sadly one often doesnt have the time to do so.
#14828056
Dave wrote:I led a campaign to get Razib Khan removed from the Unz Review. He is a coward who censors comments he does not agree with. The whole point of the internet is, or should be at least, FREEDOM.

The internet allows us to restore 19th century social discourse. Men full of piss and vinegar advancing our real interests and speaking plainly.

He seems to be more contrarian than most of his colleagues which is good enough for me and in the current climate requires a certain amount of bravery. The right doesn't, and shouldn't, comprise only radicals like you. We need all kinds, and especially those who identify as being close to the centre, which as it happens includes myself. We can fight later.

Dave wrote:This is why it is up to us, we of the alt-right vanguard, to keep up the pressure. We need to lead these people to real victory.

To be honest, I'm not even sure what the alt-right is. At this point, it seems to me the majority of them are attracted to the shock value and anti-establishment aspects, not dissimilar to the majority of people back in the 60s/70s. People like you, with a coherent ideology, are a small subgroup (which I guess is true for any movement).

So for the young who want to be really shocking and rebellious, the alt-right is a perfect vessel. The left has pretty much lost this appeal, although they are keeping up an illusion of it, which is still relatively successful at for instance universities. There is even something comical about all these establishment men and woman pretending to be rebels and revolutionaries, fighting the non-existent patriarchy, oppression and whatnot.

Dave wrote:You are a woman and someone of a gentle temperament, so I understand harsh measures are too much for you.

But I ask you this: do you believe we'll defeat these people simply by talking?

I'm not a radical, just somebody who is increasingly pushed out of the political centre on various issues. So yes, talking will be part of it as well as voting.

If anything I want more democratic participation rather than the opposite. In almost any western country, if people could actually vote on issues, we don't even get to this dysfunctional political state, where pretty much the whole left has an irresistible incentive to not only expand their voter base via immigration but also to prevent assimilation. Similarly, the abominable euro almost certainly wouldn't have come into existence and Europe would have been spared a host of problems.
#14828381
I trust the media about as much as a Wildebeest trusts there isn't a crocodile hiding in the river.

Everybody has an angle or agenda especially media. On occasion buried in the murky depths of the muddied waters little glimmers of what appear to be truth can be found but even these should be treated with a degree of scepticism.
EU-BREXIT

So you would check people crossing the Irish Sea […]

Is It Okay To Be White?

Do Jews have Jewish privilege?

Most men of his age, if they are lucky enough to […]

The only interesting aspect of the sexual assault[…]