Within the first two to four months of the bombings, the acute effects killed 90,000–166,000 people in Hiroshima and 60,000–80,000 in Nagasaki, with roughly half of the deaths in each city occurring on the first day. The Hiroshima prefectural health department estimates that, of the people who died on the day of the explosion, 60% died from flash or flame burns, 30% from falling debris and 10% from other causes. During the following months, large numbers died from the effect of burns, radiation sickness, and other injuries, compounded by illness. In a US estimate of the total immediate and short term cause of death, 15–20% died from radiation sickness, 20–30% from flash burns, and 50–60% from other injuries, compounded by illness. In both cities, most of the dead were civilians.
The numbers are staggering, considering this is a man made infliction. On the day of the actual blast, most people burned to death, which is a horrible way to die. On 9/11, at least 200 people jumped from the building, from what we presume to be avoiding the intense heat from the fires that were roaring inside. The people who died from burns during the atomic bombings did not even have the option to jump. Secondly, look at the number of people who died from falling debris. Again, this indicates that not every civilian died instantaneously, but indeed may have endured some sort of physical suffering before they perished. Finally, the number of people that died from radiation or other injuries over the following months is also staggering. These people endured physical hardships for several weeks before they finally perished.
In addition, both evens had physical and psychological reperucussions that lasted long after the initial incident. An entire generation of Japanese civilians had been exposed to nuclear radiation, and would deal with the consequences for decades. In addition, two entire cities were flattened in a matter of seconds. The damage on 9/11 was contained to a relatively contained area of NYC. Most of the city still stood after the attack. Psychologically, I am in no case to judge, but I would venture to guess that the psychological damage caused by the detonation of two nuclear bombs on a country and the death of almost 250,000 civilians would certainly be greater than the psychological effects of the deaths of 3000 civilians.
https://www.quora.com/Which-is-a-worse- ... a-Nagasaki
IF I HAD UNDERSTOOD THE SITUATION A BIT BETTER I SHOULD HAVE PROBABLY JOINED THE ANARCHISTSGeorge Orwell